Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Disable USB Wake for a Device?

Disable USB Wake for a Device?
cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2011, 08:16 AM

Is it possible to disable the "ability" of a USB device to wake a Mac from sleep? I'm asking because I always tiptoe around my Mac, making sure not to breathe on the mouse, touch the printer power button, take my iPod out of the port, etc. I'd like to only be able to wake my Mac via the keyboard but it seems there's nothing out there on the Internet that says I can do what I want to. I'm asking because this is similar to the Mac start-up chime where everyone said it couldn't be silenced but there are in fact a few ways to silence that. Hoping it's also possible to stop USB devices from waking Mac from sleep (selectively). Thanks.

P
Sep 11, 2011, 02:24 PM

By default, mouse movement will not wake a Mac. It will only wake if it is part of a "Desktop" solution with both keyboard and mouse or if it uses a third-party wireless connector. Wake over Bluetooth can also be disabled in the Bluetooth settings, but I'm not aware of a way to disable wake from specific USB units.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules