Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone use Wirefly?

Anyone use Wirefly?
Dork.
Professional Poster
May 20, 2012, 09:25 PM

My wife and I are currently out-of-contract on a Verizon family plan. We have original Droids, and love the slide keyboards. Wirefly has phones available that are free with a contract renewal.

Has anyone here used Wirefly to renew their contract with Verizon? Did it go smoothly? Did they screw up any thing on your current account?

It looks like they do referrals, so the first person to PM me with their referral information will get the referral bonus (assuming we go ahead and do this thing.)

In case you're wondering, I'm going for a Droid 3, while my wife wants a Samsung Stratosphere. Since the Stratosphere is 4G, I know that means I'm losing my unlimited data -- but neither of us ever went over 1 Gig of bandwidth in a month, so I'm not too concerned. (All my heavy data use is on Wi-Fi, so I don't want to pay for 4G.)

Thank you!

Dork.  (op)
Professional Poster
May 26, 2012, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the help!

We got our phones a few days ago, and it went pretty smoothly. Two tips for anyone looking to use the site in the future:

1) I wanted to upgrade both phones on a family plan, and it wasn't clear how to do that. Finally I figured it out: if you "check on your upgrade status" and put in the credentials for your account, they will find all phones on the account, and you can pick an upgrade on each phone.

2) We wanted to keep our current plan (as much as possible: I was expecting the 4G cap, of course), since we have some features that aren't offered anymore at that price with new plans. When I ordered the phones, I ordered absolutely no options on the monthly service. Sure enough, when the upgrade was processed we had all our old options (because no new options overrode them.)

So, it went well. If any of you want to upgrade, let me know and I'll give you my referral information. After writing this, this post sounds mildly like spam, but that wasn't my intention: I just wanted to relate these tips. Maybe I should go get a blog. That was an intentional spam link!

andi*pandi
May 26, 2012, 09:24 AM

I've never heard of them, but we are planning to upgrade/reup with verizon soon. My husband wants an Android, but I want an iPhone (baaaa). So I don't think wirefly will work for us?

Congrats on new phones!

Dork.  (op)
Professional Poster
May 26, 2012, 12:26 PM

No, I don't think Wirefly sells iPhones. But I know there's a way to upgrade different lines on a family plan at different times. Maybe you could upgrade just the iPhone first, then look around to see who has the best price on the Android phone your husband wants. Amazon also has a cell phone store where you can get upgrade pricing. (They had no Droid 3's, though.)

I did notice that we got hit with a $30/line "upgrade fee" on our Verizon account. I guess they're charging customers for the privilege of signing a new contract with them now. Not sure if there's any way I could have gotten around it, though. I may call them to complain, just to give them a hard time and make them spend some of that money to hear me complain.

BTW, Verizon loads lots of spammy default apps on their smartphones now. It has us both considering learning how to root the phones and apply a vanilla OS, just to get rid of the crapware.

Forum Links
Forum Rules