Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Weird Windows view problem --?? help!

Weird Windows view problem --?? help!
donny31
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2004, 09:36 PM

I cant get to the lower right of the screen to shrink it or make it smaller --any thoughts --i have tried all I know! see link below

Weird Screen Pic

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 11:28 PM

I'm sure you tried it but it never hurts to point out the obvious - how about clicking the zoom button (green with the + symbol)? If that doesn't bring the window to a size that fits within the space of your screen then there is something wrong.

Also, how about switching resolutions to something higher (if possible) so that you can see the rest of the window?
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

donny31  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2004, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by Apfhex:
I'm sure you tried it but it never hurts to point out the obvious - how about clicking the zoom button (green with the + symbol)? If that doesn't bring the window to a size that fits within the space of your screen then there is something wrong.

Also, how about switching resolutions to something higher (if possible) so that you can see the rest of the window?
Ya --no plus sign or anything --i tried the resolution thing --its only the hard drive folder also--?????

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 17, 2004, 06:24 AM

he, he ... wacky.

the zoom button won't work because the list of files extends past the screen. try this:
  1. hit "opt-cmd-t" to get rid of the metal frame and make the window frame as small as possible
  2. hit "cmd-a" to select all files
  3. hit "left arrow" to close all folder
  4. now click the "zoom" button again
if that doesn't work because there's still too many items in the window/folder, create a temporary folder on the desktop, (quit all open apps first!) move all items from applications "window" in the temporary folder and click the "zoom" button again - that will do the trick.

then move all your apps/folder from the temporary folder back into the "applications" window - voila

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2004, 06:34 AM

Originally posted by effgee:
the zoom button won't work because the list of files extends past the screen.
It should still bring the bottom of the window up to the bottom of the screen (above the dock if it's not hidden).

Perhaps deleting the .ds_store file for that folder would also work.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 17, 2004, 06:41 AM

you're right apfhex it should but we all know that os x can be a bit moody at times ... same thing had happened to me before ... zoom button wouldn't do a thing.

and yeppers, getting rid of the ".ds_store" file, logging out and back in will do the same (or is it restart instead of log-out? dunno)

donny31  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2004, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by effgee:
he, he ... wacky.
[*] hit "cmd-a" to select all files[*] hit "left arrow" to close all folder[*] now click the "zoom" button again[/list]if

That still didnt help --I cant even see the zoom button ? any other thoughts --
apfhex: could you explain that file deletion more?

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 17, 2004, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by donny31:
I cant even see the zoom button ?
Of course you can ... look at your screenshot - left window column, iDisk icon, above that the two left/right arrow buttons, above those you see three circular buttons that look like little marbles ... the third one from the left (with the little "+" in it when you mouse over it) is the "zoom" button

donny31  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2004, 11:01 AM

YESSSSSSSSS sometimes its the obvious that we dont see --enjoy your day, knowing that you made someone very happy!

thanks

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 17, 2004, 11:05 AM

You're most welcome - glad I could help!

Forum Links
Forum Rules