Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Boot Camp option greyed out in Parallels.

Boot Camp option greyed out in Parallels.
ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2008, 04:46 PM

I've installed Windows XP onto my Macbook with Boot Camp, and it works fine. I've now downloaded a trial of Parallels to set up with the Boot Camp partition, and the option for Boot Camp (like on the screen below) is greyed out in the setup screen.

I'm also unable to choose a Windows system on the other partition, I only have the option of a network computer or firewire connection. Any idea what is wrong here? I went to the parallels support page and it said to repair permissions on the disk and restart, I did this and it made no difference.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2008, 06:27 PM

I had the same problem a while back and forgot how I fixed it. Have you searched these forums or Google?

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2008, 06:33 PM

Guess you didn't try Google, first hit is Parallels / Knowledge Base / Boot Camp: Boot Camp option is grayed out

Amazing what you find when you actually look...

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2008, 06:33 PM

Yep looked around google and searched here, but not found any answers.

Cold Warrior
Jan 27, 2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Hah. Parallels uses MAC when they mean Mac.

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2008, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
...I went to the parallels support page and it said to repair permissions on the disk and restart, I did this and it made no difference.
Guess you didn't try Google, first hit is Parallels / Knowledge Base / Boot Camp: Boot Camp option is grayed out

Thanks for finding the same thing I did, and said in the original post.

ibook_steve
Jan 28, 2008, 04:52 AM

I'm not quite sure I understand your setup. I'm assuming you have Windows installed on a separate partition on your main hard drive through Boot Camp. Is Boot Camp working? Can you boot into Windows? Try booting into Windows then rebooting back to Mac OS X and try again with Parallels.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 06:25 AM

ibook_steve, it's Windows XP installed through Boot Camp onto a partition on my Macbook's hard drive (partition was created by the Boot Camp setup assistant).

Boot Camp and XP run fine, and the Boot Camp control panel and drivers are installed onto XP from the Leopard disc as it should be. Its Parallels 3.0 Build 5584 downloaded from the Parallels site, activated with a trial key.

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 04:33 PM

I nearly had it, but now it's gone again.

I booted with the OS X install disk and repaired disks, even though the report said there were no problems afterwards. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled Parallels, found the vmtools files and copied them to a folder in the windows partition. Booted into windows, then booted back to Mac using the boot camp Restart in Mac OS. When I went to Parallels it jumped straight into setting up with boot camp, and made a VM. I started the VM, and got the DOS startup screen, it found the hard disk and RAM size, but hung on starting up the hard drive. No option but to stop the VM and quit. Started up Parallels again and it said the Hard Disk 1 was not installed, so wouldn't start. Quit and restarted parallels again, trying to make a new VM, and I am now back where I started with Boot Camp greyed out.

Grrrrr, so close.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Thanks for finding the same thing I did, and said in the original post.
Anytime. In my defense, there has been a rash of postings on these forums with people asking questions they could easily solve with some searching. On the surface, your post seemed the same...

Have you tried deleting all traces of Parallels and reinstalling?

donny31
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2008, 11:28 PM

who do you think you are? you suck

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by donny31 View Post
who do you think you are? you suck
Least my post attempted to help..."Well I'm sure we can handle this like the mature adults we are isn't that right Mr. Poopy...Pants" (Naked Gun quote)

Forum Links
Forum Rules