Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > x86 Assembly Language

x86 Assembly Language
idykenano
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2008, 01:20 PM

Greetings.

I'm a college student, blah blah blah, due to my chemistry research I'm pretty adept with terminal but I'm just beginning with xcode.
At any rate, my systems programming class uses C assembly language and the professor is somewhat dimwitted about Linux/Unix/Mac/anything other than XP (which is disappointing for a CS professor, anyway). He wants us to use MS Visual Studio because that's all he knows how to use, but I'm without another operating system on my macbook. I can do my assignments in campus computer labs, but it seems silly to do that when I'm running on Intel architecture already.
Any advice/tips for me? I've already done Python, Java, Perl, and C++ from my trust terminal, I'd hate to give up now.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2008, 01:30 PM

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2008, 01:37 PM

You can't get cheap edu pricing on XP and Parallels or VMWare?

idykenano  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2008, 06:16 PM

Through my school the only software discount I can get is $100 for the Vista upgrade.

Through JourneyEd I can get XP full version for $200, and through Apple I can get the academic version of Fusion for $40 with 2-3 week shipping.

If there's no way to do it through the unix backside of my macbook, I'd rather use the computer lab computers for my assignments than spend $200+. I'm a pretty cheap person, sometimes it's a necessity.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2008, 06:31 PM

nasm is available for OS X.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2008, 06:36 PM

You can absolutely program in assembly from the command line. The GCC assembler is called as.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

gassyandy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2008, 11:10 AM

Maybe it is time to switch places with the prof, he obviously does not know
about the virtue of C programming. perhaps for Christmas you should get him
'The C Programming Language' by K & R, it is a white book with blue letters
used to be the BIBLE of C programmers, what the hack happened!!

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2008, 02:20 PM

There's no such thing as "C assembly language". You're either programming in C, or assembly.

That said, you can do either in OS X. If you guys are just programming command-line utilities in C, you can write them so that they compile cleanly and work properly on both Windows and any *nix flavour (OS X included). I've gotten by using my Mac for everything in my CS program -- except for the occasional course where we had to use Visio, or MS SQL Server, or whatnot.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2008, 01:21 PM

The K&R book above was what I started with when I first learned C. What you have to understand is how a compiler works.

1) User writes code in C (or whatever)
2) Compiler turns C into assembly
3) assembler turns assembly into bytecode (instructions, generally 32-bit or 64-bit "words" that can be loaded)

You can easily skip step 1 and go to step 2 directly. x86 is actually a pretty crappy processor for learning assembly since it has all these giant meta-instructions that you wouldn't see in a simpler architecture. You can ignore them of course and pretend you're coding for an 8086.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Forum Links
Forum Rules