Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Keyboard & trackpad freeze, Macbook mid 07

Keyboard & trackpad freeze, Macbook mid 07
Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2009, 09:36 AM

Hey, I'm having random freezes of my macbooks trackpad and keyboard which makes the computer unusable, although i have managed to connect my external mouse and keyboard which works, so I can control the computer using that. When the trackpad and mouse freezes up, it doesnt appear in system profiler suggesting a dodgy connection/its just bust. Sometimes forced restart does not solve the problem.

Oh, I don't have Apple Care either, doh!

Any help is appreciated.
Macbook mid 2007: 2Gb Ram, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 500Gb HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7!)
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2009, 10:48 AM

What does Apple Hardware Test say?

idykenano
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2009, 03:17 PM

There were keyboard/trackpad issues with the laptops on with early Leopard releases, are you running 10.5.6?

Andhee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2009, 04:09 PM

Yeah its 10.5.6, I've taken it in to the Apple Store and they witnessed all the dodgyness of it. They quoted me £140 for if the top casing needs replacing :/
Macbook mid 2007: 2Gb Ram, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 500Gb HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

Paco500
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2009, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Andhee View Post
Yeah its 10.5.6, I've taken it in to the Apple Store and they witnessed all the dodgyness of it. They quoted me £140 for if the top casing needs replacing :/
I have the exact same problem- Apple replaced the Logic Board and it seemed to fix it- no probs for almost 6 months, and now it's come back. Please let me know if the top case replacement fixes the problem.

Andhee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2009, 06:01 PM

The apple store 'genius' said it would be £300 for the logic board replacement, but I said don't fit it without my permission because I don't have the money to burn at the moment, hopefully they will be able to sort it out though. Is your mac still under warranty?
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

Andhee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2009, 01:24 PM

Update: got my macbook back yesterday, a new top case had been fitted. All seems to be well, but £140 of my money now gone! I hope it doesn't pack in again outside this 3 month extra warranty...
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 22, 2009, 01:35 PM

Ouch.

If it happens again - eBay.

You'll probably end up purchasing it from the US but it'll be cheaper and it's not hard to fit it yourself.

Paco - does your power button work when the keyboard and trackpad stop working? it uses the same connector/cable as the keyboard & trackpad.

Andhee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2009, 12:42 PM

I'll bare that in mind...

I found it strange how the power button worked when nothing else on the keyboard/trackpad did. The caps lock and num lock lights didnt not work when pressed either, but its all fine and dandy now, lets hope it stays that way!
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2009, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Ouch.

If it happens again - eBay.

You'll probably end up purchasing it from the US but it'll be cheaper and it's not hard to fit it yourself.

Paco - does your power button work when the keyboard and trackpad stop working? it uses the same connector/cable as the keyboard & trackpad.
Yep- power button works fine, but the keyboard.

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2009, 03:15 PM

That is weird, just as weird as my new PowerBook G4 (a lovely waste of money on eBay) and it's random erratic behavior.
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

Forum Links
Forum Rules