Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > .Mac Webmail Frustration!

.Mac Webmail Frustration!
DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 07:30 AM

For about the fifth time since I've been using it, I just finished a long e-mail using .Mac webmail, hit Send... Only for it not to go through. Hitting the Back button returns you to a blank draft. Dammit! I usually remember, since being burned before, to copy all my text, so it's on my clipboard should this happen. When in a hurry, however, I forget... And it's only then that I get burned.

This never happens with Excite or Yahoo! mail. Of course, I don't use those all that often anymore... But I certainly don't remember it being a problem. Ugh!

[/RANT]
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2003, 07:47 AM

You should never trust an email client, or any other piece of software for that matter, to preserve your work that hasn't been saved. Does .Mac Webmail have Save As Draft yet? Maybe I should go check. In any case, we're talking about an interface to software through a web browser. Your data is not secure until it is on disk.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

DigitalEl  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 07:53 AM

You're right, of course. I was just venting frustration there. Like I said, I do usually copy my text just in case something funky happens. Murphy's Law kicks in though and the times I don't are when I get burned.

In this case, I was jotting a quick review of a new TV show to a friend (I know, important stuff). Trying to recreate my off-the-cuff remarks proved futile though. Oh well.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2003, 08:05 AM

Hey, it's totally understood, Digital. It occurred to me that I was sounding perhaps a bit holier than thou in my previous reply. I've had the exact same thing happen to me, and I'm sure most everyone else has as well. It usually happens to me in web forums, though.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 08:38 AM

As soon as I create a new mail item I Command-S. Copy is then saved in "Drafts" folder (you'll see the number in parentheses after "Drafts" augmented by one. Has never failed me.
(learned that as a life-saving reflex in my beginning web days in AOHell)

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by Love Calm Quiet:
As soon as I create a new mail item I Command-S. Copy is then saved in "Drafts" folder (you'll see the number in parentheses after "Drafts" augmented by one. Has never failed me.
(learned that as a life-saving reflex in my beginning web days in AOHell)
Ah right. I didn't know you could do Command-S in .Mac webmail. Must remember that one...

...or you could READ the original post!

Forum Links
Forum Rules