Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther Sleep Problems

Panther Sleep Problems
gshock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 05:29 PM

Hi, I just installed panther today and having some problems when I put my computer to sleep. What happens is when I put the computer to sleep once it will wake back up just fine. But if I sleep it a second time usually it will not wake back up. The monitor stays black and the keyboard and mouse don't seem to be getting power, but the mouse does light up if i click one of its buttons.

If I boot back in to 10.2 everything is fine no sleep problems.

Can anyone suggest a way to debug this? I have looked in the console logs and this is the only thing I can find.

Oct 24 15:58:27 localhost mDNSResponder[181]: mDNSResponder Sleeping at 14740973
Oct 24 15:58:27 localhost kernel: AppleNMI mask NMI
Oct 24 15:59:02 localhost kernel: System Sleep
Oct 24 15:59:06 localhost kernel: System Wake
Oct 24 15:59:06 localhost kernel: Wake event 0020
Oct 24 15:59:06 localhost kernel: enableClockSpreading returned with 0
Oct 24 15:59:06 localhost kernel: AppleNMI unmask NMI
Oct 24 15:59:06 localhost kernel: UniNEnet::monitorLinkStatus - Link is up at 100 Mbps - Full Duplex
Oct 24 15:59:06 localhost mDNSResponder[181]: mDNSResponder Waking at 14748754
Oct 24 16:01:08 localhost syslogd: restart
Oct 24 16:01:08 localhost syslogd: kernel boot file is /mach_kernel

My specs:

Machine Model: Power Mac G4 Quicksilver
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.0)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 733 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
Memory: 1.12 GB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.21f2
NVIDIA Geforce 3

On my USB bus, only thing connected is apple keyboard and MS optical mouse.

Any suggestions?
thanks.
( Last edited by gshock; Oct 24, 2003 at 07:04 PM. )

blowhard7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 07:16 PM

I'm having the same problem in 10.3. Second awake from sleep and a black screen. Sonnet seems to think my upgrade card is defective. I had kernal panics awaking from sleep in Jaguar. Any help is appreciated.

Machine Model: Power Mac G4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
CPU Speed: 1.40 GHz Sonnet Encore
L3 Cache (per CPU): 2 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Boot ROM Version: 4.28f1
nVIDIA Geforce 3

milenko11
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2003, 07:33 PM

I'm having the same problem.

CPU Speed: 867 MHz
L3 Cache (per CPU): 2 mb
Memory: 1.5 GB
NVIDIA Geforce 3

I have a lot hooked up to usb and firewire...

keyboard, ms mouse, iSub, keyboard reader, scanner, cd burner (firewire), digicam (firewire).

i also have a usb floppy drive that would cause a kernal panic on 10.2 upon awaking but i don't know if it does it yet?

gshock  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 08:26 PM

Least im not the only one having the problem.

Iv noticed so far we all have Nvidia geforce 3's maybe a problem with some new drivers in panther??

gshock  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 03:58 PM

anyone else having this?

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Oct 25, 2003, 08:06 PM

I also have a Quicksilver G4 but with a GeForce 2 MX, and I am having no problems at all with the reliability of sleep in Panther.

Krelsey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 08:07 PM

I don't have any problems waking up from sleep, but I have a problem putting my iMac to sleep. When I tell it to sleep, the monitor goes and the power light flashes once (like it's going to sleep), but then it immediatly wakes back up. Countless times . After a restart it usually seems to be ok...for a while. My specs are below:

17"iMac 1Ghz
512 RAM
Panther 10.3

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Location: Frozen storage at Area 51, wrapped in pigskin. My damned soul is never getting out of the Great Satan.
Oct 25, 2003, 10:31 PM

I just experienced this problem. Clean install of panther, powerbook G4 12", 640 MB RAM. No history of problems under Jaguar.

Linfidels harken! 'The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.'

benb
Oct 25, 2003, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by milenko11:
I'm having the same problem.

CPU Speed: 867 MHz
L3 Cache (per CPU): 2 mb
NVIDIA Geforce 3

I have a lot hooked up to usb and firewire...

keyboard, ms mouse, iSub, keyboard reader, scanner, cd burner (firewire), digicam (firewire).

i also have a usb floppy drive that would cause a kernal panic on 10.2 upon awaking but i don't know if it does it yet?
I got the same setup, same problem. It's not the RAM or any Peripherals. I just spent 2 hours testing all possible stuff, pulling RAM, hard drives, USB devices. Had this prablem under 10.2.8 as well, but didn't do tests till now.

So, looks to be a bug. For me though, I can't even wake from sleep the first time.

milenko11
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2003, 11:01 PM

well i've figured out my floppy drive is doing it. under 10.2 it would cause a kernal panic from wake when plugged in. now in 10.3 it cause the computer to not awake completly... BUT, I've had this problem without having the floppy drive in. So i know the foppy does it everytime it's plugged in but i don't know what does it the other times

curmi
Senior User
Oct 26, 2003, 12:55 AM

The same thing occured for me this morning. I have a dual 450, Radeon graphics card.

RGB
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 01:05 AM

I have major sleep issues under 10.2.7 on my TiBook 1GHz. Not every time, but the vast majority of the time I put it to sleep (either by closing the lid or pressing the sleep button, or letting it go to sleep via energy saver) it will just turn off, and I lose all unsaved work and have to start it up again. It's incredibly frustrating. I was hoping upgrading to Panther would solve my problem, but now you guys have got me worried...

Mojo-ike
Oct 26, 2003, 01:41 PM

this has been a problem for me all through the 10.3 development builds. i was hoping that a super-clean install with no sharing of prefs from the 10.2 disk would fix this problem, but it hasnt.

CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.1)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 800 MHz
L3 Cache (per CPU): 2 MB
Boot ROM Version: 4.25f1
NVIDIA Geforce 3
CDRW-DVD: GCC-4480B

apparenlty it isnt the ROM version, as mine is a different version than the others.

what about cdrom drives? has anyone installed non-apple drives? apple posted sleep issue resolutions because the firmware if their cdrw during 10.2 at some point..

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Location: Frozen storage at Area 51, wrapped in pigskin. My damned soul is never getting out of the Great Satan.
Oct 26, 2003, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by Mojo-ike:
what about cdrom drives? has anyone installed non-apple drives?
not I. I'm on a pb12".

Maybe I'll try updating the combo drive's firmware, but I swear I did that a couple times on the same system with Jaguar.

Linfidels harken! 'The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.'

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2003, 04:21 PM

The black screen of death is back for me too.

Fully stock Apple dp 800
1.5 gig apple RAM
2 60 gig Apple stock HD's
Apple keyboard and mouse
No third party extras or haxies
No peripheral devices connected

I did try my firewire Microtek 8700 scanner.
--no joy.
--works OK with a USB connection though.

I thought it was this at first but it still happened when the scanner was not connected.

aehaas

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 05:02 PM

I have the same config and the same problem.

bugreport.apple.com

that way they know it's widespread.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

bonkers
Oct 26, 2003, 05:12 PM

Same problem here. I started a thread on the Apple Discussion forum...

Other than that Panther rocks!!!

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2003, 04:48 PM

I too get the black screen of death when waking from sleep the second time. I also have a QuckSilver and a GeForce3. I wonder if that is a major culprit. But then again some people have had success removing USB devices.

I guess I'll try removing my USB devices, printer keyboard and mouse, and see if that helps. But I doubt it will.

I had no problems, none, ever, with Jaguar or earlier, so I'm quite disappointed with Panther.

But other than this, Panther Rocks!!!
-- SBS --

gshock  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2003, 06:33 PM

Anyone find a work around for sleeping in panther? Or do you think we will have to wait for 10.3.1 to fix it?

fulmer
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2003, 08:16 PM

it happened a couple times for me then it stopped. that was over a week ago. I continue to put it to sleep different ways--from the fast user switching screen or logged in and selecting 'sleep' from the apple menu.

huh. go figure.

mjarski15
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 02:28 PM

For those who are having trouble waking their computers from the long sleep, try hitting the eject button on your computer and see if that wakes it before you do a restart. I encountered a cube with 10.2.6 that had this problem and by chance I hit the eject button and the computer woke up. I don't know if it will work but let me know what happens.
20", 2gigs ram, 500gig HD, 2.16ghz core 2 duo iMac
iBook 700 Combo/14.1
OS X

zonetuke
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 04:30 PM

I am fairly confident that my inability to wake from deep sleep in 10.2.x is due to having my Epson Perfection 640 usb scanner attached to my Belkin 4 port usb hub. Keep in mind that I don't use the scanner much and it is usually in sleep mode itself!

So I do keep the scanner disconnected from the usb hub and the awaking from deep sleep problem has not returned. I plan to install 10.3 on a test partition in the next week and I'll try to report my experience.

matthew
Dual G5 2.3 GHz Powermac, 2.5 GB ram, GeForce 6600, Belkin 4 port USB hub,, SyncMaster 21" LCD, iMic.

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2003, 02:21 AM

I'm having the same problem and I didn't experience it until panther. I'm running a G4 MP box with a Gforce 2 MX card.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2003, 04:00 AM

Dual 800 with GF3 here. Every so often it won't have video after waking from sleep. Mouse gets power and comes on, but no video. It's done this since Jag�hell, I think since I've gotten the computer. It also does it on a startup sometimes. Sometimes I'll have to restart or shut down three-four times and the video will finally startup. I rarely need to boot, though�it's almost always only from sleep. Meh.

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2003, 10:15 AM

I upgraded from 10.3.1 to 10.3.2 a week and a half ago. No sleep problems since. My Microtek 8700 scanner only ran off the USB before the last upgrade now it works on Firewire and I never unplug it.

The .2 upgrade solved all my problems completely but AOL. It still cannot connect to the internet through Airport.

aehaas

Fully stock Apple dp 800
1.5 gig apple RAM
2 60 gig Apple stock HD's
Apple keyboard and mouse
No third party extras or haxies

erw
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2003, 09:02 PM

Similar problems- except my screen doesn't go black, it just freezes. DP533 with 10.3.2 and GeForce3. I am sure its the nvidia card causing the problems.

Sent a bug report to apple after Panther was released and hoped 10.3.2 would fix it with the new drivers, but no go.

Does anyone else get the screen lightening just before shutting down. I am sure I didn't get this with Jag...

LlamaBoy
Dec 29, 2003, 05:21 PM

I am having the same problem, and it is very frustrating indeed. I have been having quite a few problems with my new 15" 1.25 Powerbook and Panther.

As for the problem being the NVidia card, I have an ATI Radeon card, so maybe it is something else... Now on to the white spots issue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules