Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone Mail shows too many new messages

iPhone Mail shows too many new messages
Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2008, 09:46 AM

I'm not sure if this is normal behavior, but here goes. I have rules set up in Mail on my Mac that moves certain messages out of my Inbox and into some Mailboxes that are stored on the server (this is my mobileme mail). What I find is that the iPhone (which is setup for push) will show I have a large number of email messages when in fact the majority of them have been automatically moved into the other Mailboxes. So on my Mac it says I have 3 new messages but my iPhone shows I have 50. Not until I actually open the Mail app on the phone will it sync itself and show the correct number of new messages in the Inbox. In other words, the new messages are getting pushed down to the iPhone before the Mail app on my Mac moves them out of the Inbox. Does it make sense that I have to open Mail on the phone for it to see that the messages have been moved out of the Inbox? Hope I explained this well.... haven't had my coffee yet this morning.

ChrisF
Senior User
Nov 18, 2008, 10:41 AM

That makes sense- the rules to move the mail only exist on your Mac, not on the server. Until your mail program moves the messages, they're in the Inbox.

Atheist  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2008, 10:44 AM

I'm using IMAP and all my Mailboxes are stored on the server. My understanding was that when Mail on my Mac moves the messages out of the Inbox it would be immediately reflected on the server...and then subsequently the updates would be pushed to the iPhone. As it stands now, the iPhone has to query the server to see the updates to the Inbox.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2008, 03:12 PM

I have noticed this as well - the push works to put the e-mails onto the phone (generally instantly, so before Mail has downloaded them) but doesn't work once Mail has also received and filtered the messages. Only once you open Mail on the iPhone does it update.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2008, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
I have noticed this as well - the push works to put the e-mails onto the phone (generally instantly, so before Mail has downloaded them) but doesn't work once Mail has also received and filtered the messages. Only once you open Mail on the iPhone does it update.
Ditto.

"Normal" behavior.

Very frustrating. I was hoping 2.2 would fix it, but oh well.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Forum Links
Forum Rules