Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New G4's -- Post BTO Shipping Status Here

New G4's -- Post BTO Shipping Status Here (Page 6)
liftemup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2001, 09:20 PM

UPDATE!!!

Just got my email shipping confirmation from Apple.... its on the way!!! Usually only takes 1 day ground (only 90 miles from Sacramento assembly plant). Should be here Thursday or Friday,

YAAAAHOOOOO!!!!!

Mark N
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2001, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by liftemup:
<STRONG>UPDATE!!!

Just got my email shipping confirmation from Apple.... its on the way!!! Usually only takes 1 day ground (only 90 miles from Sacramento assembly plant). Should be here Thursday or Friday,

YAAAAHOOOOO!!!!!

</STRONG>
And when did you place the order? 7/18? Educational?

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2001, 10:01 PM

I just checked my order status too.......SHIPPED!!

I ordered just last week (7th I think)...dual800, cdrw, twinview, 128mb, 60gb..........very cool how 5-7 weeks turned into 8 days.....ground shipping to me up the coast to bc, should arrive late next week.

woohoo!
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Mark N
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2001, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
<STRONG>I just checked my order status too.......SHIPPED!!

I ordered just last week (7th I think)...dual800, cdrw, twinview, 128mb, 60gb..........very cool how 5-7 weeks turned into 8 days.....ground shipping to me up the coast to bc, should arrive late next week.

woohoo!</STRONG>
I'm glad you're getting yours Mr. Blur, but I ordered just minutes after the keynote. I want mine to ship tonight. Oh well, I'll just wait and see.

Maybe it's alphabetical. "B" comes before "N".

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2001, 10:33 PM

Mark N.: I hope yours ships soon....this is so exciting to finally get a new Mac. Is there something in your config that would hold it up? I am very surprised that mine has shipped already....I didn't expect the 5-7 weeks, but I thought there were enough people ahead of me to make it about 3-4 weeks......

Now I gotta hurry up and order that extra ram, audio in/out, usb hub (I'm still in the pre-usb beige world at the moment....). Sure glad they raised the limit on my credit card
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Mark N
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2001, 10:43 PM

GeForce 2MX (non twin view), 40GB HD, 128MB, Superdrive.

I've got 3 512MBs ready to go in it. Pulling the RAM. Pulling the HD. Pulling the GeForce 2.

They told me it would ship by the end of the week, so now I'm getting anxious.

liftemup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2001, 11:38 PM

Yes. I ordered mine on 7/18 from the educational site (also get a 2% rebate from eBates)

Putting in the Matrox RTMac, 1.1GB RAM, UltraSCSI, ATA/100, SoundBlaster Live, plus I have 4 - 60GB 7200RPM ATA100 drives ready to go, plus plenty DVD-R & CD-Rs to burn.

Perfect timing Apple! I have a CD-ROM project due on Monday - now I can do it much faster!!!

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2001, 12:09 AM

<STRONG> Putting in the Matrox RTMac, 1.1GB RAM, UltraSCSI, ATA/100, SoundBlaster Live, plus I have 4 - 60GB 7200RPM ATA100 drives ready to go, plus plenty DVD-R & CD-Rs to burn.

Perfect timing Apple! I have a CD-ROM project due on Monday - now I can do it much faster!!!</STRONG>
My God, that will be one powerful Power Mac. I wish I had all those goodies! Especially the 240GB (RAID) drive. WOW!
-- SBS --

Mark N
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2001, 12:15 AM

<STRONG>Yes. I ordered mine on 7/18 from the educational site (also get a 2% rebate from eBates)

Putting in the Matrox RTMac, 1.1GB RAM, UltraSCSI, ATA/100, SoundBlaster Live, plus I have 4 - 60GB 7200RPM ATA100 drives ready to go, plus plenty DVD-R & CD-Rs to burn.

Perfect timing Apple! I have a CD-ROM project due on Monday - now I can do it much faster!!!</STRONG>
Have you got the Acard ATA100? I'd be curious of it's performance. It's now midnight EST, so I guess I'll just wait until in the morning. I'm still holding out hope for it shipping tonight.

This is worse than waiting for a 10.0.x update.

Solobrus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2001, 12:25 AM

Whoo our 867/gf3 ordered saturday shipped today! We're 12 miles away from sacramento so hopefully it'll be here this week.

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2001, 06:49 AM

{bitchrant}

I ordered my dual-800 an hour after the Apple Store was updated on 7/18 (from a Tysons Apple Store iMac!): GF3/40GB/128MB/Combo/Zip250 and still have no change on the on-line Apple Store (called yesterday and they said "within 24-48 hrs it will ship." A worthless friend of mine ordered his dual-800 (GF3/60GB/128MB/SuperDrive) 4 days later, and his shipped yesterdayh (Wed)!!

I guess it's the damned combo drive (a new product for Apple) that is slowing me down. Ugh.

blakespot

{/bitchrant}
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

Mark N
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2001, 07:06 AM

Blakespot,

I got the 40GB, 128MB, GF2, and the Superdrive. Ordered within 20 minutes of the keynote ending and mine has not shipped yet. Our common parts are 40GB and 128MB. I hope there not running short on the 40GB (or the 128MB), because I'm not going to use it. They told me yesterday, by the end of the week. I think I'll call again and report back.

mikeyj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2001, 08:18 AM

After sitting here steaming about my DP800 not shipping(after I placed my order about 30 minutes after the keynote), a phone call to apple just confirmed my system is shipping out today. It's too bad they don't deliver on saturdays. So it looks like I'll probably get it on Monday. This weekend is going to suck. The config is 128/40/GF3/superdrive/zip250, So I guess that rules out the 40 gig HD shortage The suspense is going to kill me.

-Mike

Mark N
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2001, 08:39 AM

well I'm having no luck. I called Apple and they said it looks like 4-5 more business days, maybe sooner. Kind of a generic answer. They said it would go out by next Wednesday. Better be sooner.

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2001, 08:58 AM

Hmm... In the last few posts (above this one), it seems that looking at some of the configs here that have shipped, and have not shipped, there's no one item that can be put to the delay of these units. There's no consistency here. Distubring.

I'll check back w/ Apple by voice today (again) for an update in a bit and post here.

blakespot

Brian McHale
Aug 16, 2001, 10:58 AM

I ordered the following (non-education) on 7/27:

Dual 800MHz PowerPC G4
128MB SDRAM/1 DIMM
2x60GB Ultra ATA-7200rpm
250MB Zip drive
CD-RW Drive
NVIDIA GeForce2MX-Dual Support
56K internal modem

Since I didn't order right away and the TwinView was part of my configuration (which a lot of reports have suggested would delay the order), I didn't expect my computer to ship for another week or two.

This morning I found out that it shipped yesterday (Wed 8/16)! It looks like the dual 800s have started shipping en masse!

Since I live in central California, I'm hoping there's a chance I'll get it today (it shipped FedEx Ground).
Brian

<dornball>
Aug 16, 2001, 11:01 AM

i agree that here is no consistency with the configs and the shipments, or lack of shipments of the dual800's

i ordered 15 minuts after keynote speech and am still waiting...with status unchanged from "being assembled"

how does everyone find out when their computers might ship with the people they talk to? i must always get the "jerks" because all they ever give me is the mega-generic answer of "5-7 weeks". does any one have the extension of a person who seems to be giving up details @ the apple store?

Mark N
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2001, 11:18 AM

I have talked to different people each time. I have gotten different responses each time. I've heard this week and no reason it won't ship this weeks, 4 or 5 more business days (this AM), the generic 5-7 weeks from order. I guess until I get a confirmation via email with a tracking number I won't know. I may call back this afternoon and see what answer I get. I still don't see why I can't upgrade my shipping to overnight. They used UPS ground for my RIO, FedEx Ground for the printer. They say since part of it shipped they can't change. Maybe because of the printer bundle, but I'm willing to pay the shipping. I should have been when I ordered, but now the wait is getting to me. I won't get it until next week and if they were shipping from different locations, not just CA. I may be inclined to stick with ground. Hey all I want is for it to ship via some method.

Mark N
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2001, 01:20 PM

I know it's within the original 5-7 weeks. However, I was told by the end of the week. Now early next week (by Wednesday). It's getting frustrating. Blakespot any news or your machine? I asked what was the hold up. They said they were a little behind in their packaging at the factory. Fine, but why are similar configs ordered in the last 2 weeks (or even last week) shipping? As Blakespot said there doesn't seem to one particular part holding up the machines.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2001, 01:58 PM

Well, I got good and bad news about my dual 800 this morning. Got to work and VISA had left a message on my phone about verifying transactions against my VISA. I called them up and apparently they thought that something was fishy about a large charge (the price of my dual 800) being charged against my VISA and had not authorized the charge. I told them that it was probably my order from Apple Canada and after awhile they said they would accept it if it was put through again. They give you all that credit, but you have to ask to use it, it seems.

So I took a look at the web site and sure enough the order was in "Being Reviewed" status from "Being Assembled", so I called the Apple Store to put the charge through again. It went threw. Since I had them on the line, I asked when will it ship and she told me early next week. So at least that's good news.

The weird part is, over a year ago I charge my PB to that same VISA card, and 4 years ago I charged my G3/400 to that VISA card. Yes, it was through MacWarehouse and not Apple, but it was a large computer purchase. They must be getting paranoid these days.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

dymanohum
Aug 16, 2001, 02:34 PM

I just got off the phone with Apple, I was told 2 days ago my dual would ship today but now there are delays that force them to start shipping next week. I have seen posts that some people have recieved e-mail with a shipping notification. Has anyone recieved one of these? Anyone gotten a tracking number??

Hous68
Aug 16, 2001, 02:37 PM

Mine says partially shipped because of the AppleCare and free printer. So, I can't tell if mine goes back and forth between "Being Assembled" and "Being Reviewed".

The status is great, but I wish it was more detailed.
Peace. Love. MacOSX.

Hydra
Senior User
Aug 16, 2001, 02:53 PM

Funny thing happened on the way to the bank, so to speak. I was checking my credit card account online (the one I used to order my new dual 800) and I noticed that I now had outstanding authorizations for almost $8000 as of today. Well after a call to the CC company they informed me that Apple had pre-authorized my card again but left the original one (good thing this is a Platinum card). I called Apple and they took it off and bumped me to FedEx overnight from the original FedEx 3 day that I had paid $25 extra at the time of the order 4 weeks ago. So be carefull and make sure Apple doesn't hold your order up because they might max out your card with old authorizations.

I ordered within 1 hour of the keynote on 7/18 but all the people at the Apple store would say is that it should ship soon. It does worry me a bit that people seem to be getting the duals who ordred so much later but I am glad that people are actually getting them. Oh well, at least now I won't have to wait quite so long while it ships.

-Jerry C.

Mark N
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2001, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by Hydra:
<STRONG>bumped me to FedEx overnight from the original FedEx 3 day that I had paid $25 extra at the time of the order 4 weeks ago.</STRONG>
Had your printer shipped? When I asked they "couldn't" change my shipping because it was partially shipped. I don't want to get it Free overnight. I'd pay $25 for 3 day, but they won't allow it.

OSeX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2001, 03:11 PM

I ordered my Dual 800 BTO from the Apple Online Store for Education on July 31st. I got confirmation that it was shipping today and a tracking number for FedEx ground shipping, it should arrive early next week.

<dwldzm9>
Aug 16, 2001, 03:41 PM

I ordered a dual 800 through the ADC online store and recieved shipping notification today. I am PUMPED! I called on Monday and was told that I only had a production number, so apparently that means it is close to shipment. Hope that helps for all that are still waiting.

Hydra
Senior User
Aug 16, 2001, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by Mark N:
<STRONG>

Had your printer shipped? When I asked they "couldn't" change my shipping because it was partially shipped. I don't want to get it Free overnight. I'd pay $25 for 3 day, but they won't allow it.</STRONG>
Funny you should ask, Mark. I originally chose to hold the order til the whole thing was ready because I didn't want to get the printer before the G4 just in case I cancelled the order. I now worry that when time comes to ship the G4 that they may run out of those free printers and hold up the order that way. I asked the person I spoke to at the Apple store if they could un-couple the order and ship the items as ready and they said yes. But I guess they can make changes because I hadn't been shipped anything yet.

-Jerry C.

Mark N
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2001, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by &lt;dwldzm9&gt;:
<STRONG>I called on Monday and was told that I only had a production number, so apparently that means it is close to shipment. Hope that helps for all that are still waiting.</STRONG>
I was told mine had a production number 2 weeks ago, so that isn't the key. I think it has something to do with luck, as much as anything else.

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2001, 04:07 PM

Some solid info here.

I called Apple and asked, again, what was the stauts of my dual-800 order. She said, "now this is going to sound strange...just give me a moment." (15 second pause) "Your order is ready right now." ...but it turns out that it's not going to ship for "a couple of days" becuase their shipping docks are flooded with outgoing orders--there's so many orders they can't get boxed units out the door fast enough. She told me to give it until early next week as a ship date.

Quite dissapointing. Still...only becuase I'd got me expectations up, what with a friend's order, placed 3-4 days after mine, having shipped out yesterday. I need a drink.

blakespot

Osirisis
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2001, 04:07 PM

I'm thinking that ordering any kind of software through Apple is a big mistake. I ordered Myst : Exile 3 on the 21st with an estimated shipping time of 4 days... It still hasn't shipped...

At this rate my machine with the quote of 5-7 weeks will get here ahead of it....

Mark N
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2001, 04:23 PM

And now I get an email saying MacMall has them in stock (doesn't show on website) so in theory, someone could order today it will they'll get it before I get mine.

Osirisis
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2001, 04:37 PM

Just heard some news from Apple... Mothing on my Myst But my machine is in process... Should ship tomorrow, Wahey... (Assuming they clear that shipping dock )

Mark N
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2001, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by Osirisis:
<STRONG>Just heard some news from Apple... Mothing on my Myst But my machine is in process... Should ship tomorrow, Wahey... (Assuming they clear that shipping dock )</STRONG>
Just out of curiosity, how was your machine configured? I know it was ordered 3 days later than mine, but I'm going to call them one more time and at least try and get the shipping changed, if I have to ask for Steve himself.

Speaking of Steve, if he gets on the loading docks they'll get it cleared tonight. Then again he'd probably use my machine as a digital camera.

Tcy125
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2001, 05:49 PM

Ordered 867 BTO on 7/28, shipped 8/14...arrived today and boy is it great especially the 17" lcd!!!

Brian McHale
Aug 16, 2001, 06:20 PM

I did receive an e-mail saying my 800DP had shipped (on Wed 8/15). It included a FedEx Ground tracking number. According to FedEx, I should get it tomorrow, though I'm suspicious that there is no scan info other than the initial. Wonder if they assigned the tracking number, but it's still sitting on Apple's dock...

Summary of my order (non-education, placed 7/27):

Dual 800MHz PowerPC G4
128MB SDRAM/1 DIMM
2x60GB Ultra ATA-7200rpm
250MB Zip drive
CD-RW Drive
56K internal modem
Brian

bender
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2001, 06:31 PM

Sounds like most of the dual 800's are finally going out, even from resellers. I called ClubMac and they said my dual 800 should ship tomorrow. That means I will get it on Tuesday. Now I have to wait a whole weekend...ugh!!! At least I can stare at my blank 17" LCD Studio Display

Mark N
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2001, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by Brian McHale:
<STRONG>I did receive an e-mail saying my 800DP had shipped (on Wed 8/15). It included a FedEx Ground tracking number. According to FedEx, I should get it tomorrow, though I'm suspicious that there is no scan info other than the initial. Wonder if they assigned the tracking number, but it's still sitting on Apple's dock...

Summary of my order (non-education, placed 7/27):

Dual 800MHz PowerPC G4
128MB SDRAM/1 DIMM
2x60GB Ultra ATA-7200rpm
250MB Zip drive
CD-RW Drive
56K internal modem</STRONG>
You should be fine. The other items I ordered don't even have updates until the date of delivery and the date has put has been accurate for me. Hope you enjoy it. Maybe I will in about a week. At least you have a tracking number.

Osirisis
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2001, 07:41 PM

I ordered the following configuration:

DP 800
128 MB RAM
40 GB Drive (Later changed to 60)
56k modem
250 MB zip drive
Airport Card
GeForce 3

Plus extras, but I have those already. The 22 inch cinema display I've been staring at for the last 3.5 weeks

Edit: Forgot the Video Card

[ 08-17-2001: Message edited by: Osirisis ]

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2001, 07:53 PM

Geez, I wish I had a tracking number. It would give me something to watch.

I bought a GB of RAM... boy is RAM cheap, even in Canada.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

robotic
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2001, 07:59 PM

Ordered mine today...

dual 800
128 ram
40 gig
superdrive

and estimated shipping time is 15 days Hope it comes sooner than that!

-robotic

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2001, 09:30 PM

Well, my machine shipped wednesday at 1:00 AM, and I still got the usual FedEx fround. Even though I was messed up with a temporary hold on my CC, and a bizare cancelation. I mean, my machine was cancelled, then a sales person at apple called me to verify that I wanted to cancel, I said "NO!" and they added another machine to my order to take the place of the one they cancelled. After all that I still have ground shipping.

PS not to mention my 10 phone calls to the apple store. Geez.
-- SBS --

Hydra
Senior User
Aug 16, 2001, 09:33 PM

Here's an interesting twist. Now that I had Apple send me things whenever they are ready I have 2 sets of tracking numbers for that free printer. One set is for the printer and cable and another set for another printer and cable. I went to FedEx and the numbers do actually check out. I only hope that the same thing Happens to the dual G4 too. Anyone interested in a dual 800 for cheap if I get an extra?

- Jerry C.

sodamnregistered
Aug 16, 2001, 09:36 PM

ordered the same yesterday...

15 days as well

Mark N
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2001, 09:37 PM

I had the same two tracking numbers. Cable in one box, printer in one box. Now if I could just get a number for the G4.

moegreen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2001, 08:22 AM

Boxing/shipping backups make some sense why some people are getting their machines and other aren't.

In all likelihood, most of our machines are built, but are being boxed and shipped out of order.

I placed my order on 7/27 as EDU BTO w/ GeForce2 MX. I hate calling, but considering the inconsistency in shipping, my curiosity got the best of me.

I got no news when I called. The person simply said that when I ordered it, it had a 5-7 week lead time, and "looking at my calendar, you have about two and half weeks to go." Now I remember why I don't bother calling.

AlexisMachine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2001, 08:26 AM

My credit card company (The GM card) called yesterday verifying that I did indeed make a purchase through a company named 'Apple'. What probably confused them was that my shipping address was to a different state (I'm shipping my system to NH to avoid sales tax).

I called Apple this morning, and they said my system will ship in 24 to 72 hours. Bring it on!

Dual 800/128/40/56K/Geforce2/SCSI/CD-RW
--mk

Mark N
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2001, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by AlexisMachine:
<STRONG>
My credit card company (The GM card) called yesterday verifying that I did indeed make a purchase through a company named 'Apple'. What probably confused them was that my shipping address was to a different state (I'm shipping my system to NH to avoid sales tax).

I called Apple this morning, and they said my system will ship in 24 to 72 hours. Bring it on!

Dual 800/128/40/56K/Geforce2/SCSI/CD-RW
--mk</STRONG>
Same Machine I ordered except Superdrive. I got the same 24-72 hours from Apple. Must what they were supposed to say this morning if you didn't want the 5-7 weeks answer.

MrExe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2001, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by Mark N:
<STRONG>I have talked to different people each time. I have gotten different responses each time. I've heard this week and no reason it won't ship this weeks, 4 or 5 more business days (this AM), the generic 5-7 weeks from order. I guess until I get a confirmation via email with a tracking number I won't know. I may call back this afternoon and see what answer I get. I still don't see why I can't upgrade my shipping to overnight. They used UPS ground for my RIO, FedEx Ground for the printer. They say since part of it shipped they can't change. Maybe because of the printer bundle, but I'm willing to pay the shipping. I should have been when I ordered, but now the wait is getting to me. I won't get it until next week and if they were shipping from different locations, not just CA. I may be inclined to stick with ground. Hey all I want is for it to ship via some method.</STRONG>
FYI-I ordered my dual 800 7/20/01, 80 gig hd, 512 ram, super drive, gf3, scsi card, today is the 3rd time i've called apple about my order, i was able to change the shipping because i had selected to have everything shipped at once, i had asked if the "free" printer was holding up shipping dates because they were out of stock, they said NO, there were plenty in stock, but............if u already had your order in and wanted everything shipped at once and decided to change it to shipping as they become availible, u could do that ONLY if u didn't go through apple to finance. They told me they were shipping the dual 800's as they were ordered BUT unless u ordered a "stock" dual 800, your order would be slightly delayed because of a configured system which only makes sense to me. As it stands, my SoundSticks and 17" studio display have arrived but i ordered them seperate from the computer, so now i can stare at them until the dual 800 arrives and the person i talked to at apple told me a few more weeks before it would ship ;( I'm glad to see some people are receiving their dream machine dual 800's.
MrExe

Michael @ UMich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2001, 03:28 PM

From the education store, I BTO'd a DP800/128/60/Superdrive/GF3 on 7/25.
Still nothing yet. Calls to Apple still tell me "5-7 weeks from the time of order."
How is it that people who placed orders after me have theirs shipped already? It's not a credit card issue (at least the two Apple reps I spoke to didn't say anything, and I've never had a CC issue before for even larger amounts...)
This is bumming me out!

OSeX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2001, 03:34 PM

Hey Michael, since you are a fellow Ann Arborite, you can come over to my place and check out my Dual 800 (should arive either Monday or Tuesday).

Forum Links
Forum Rules