Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Post your eMac Experiences / Thoughts

Post your eMac Experiences / Thoughts
DBursey
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2002, 09:03 AM

I'm considering whether or not to purchase the new eMac. I've read the reviews, and now I'm hoping to read more on the experiences of MacNN'ers. What are its strong points? Any nuances to share? Is the fan noise noticable? What other issues may there be?

Another issue: I'd like to have DVD burning capability. I'm debating whether it would be best to purchase the 800Mhz combo drive unit w.DVD burning, or to buy the 700 CD/RW model and apply the resulting savings towards an external DVD burner, extra RAM and an airport card. Any thoughts on internal vs. external DVD burning?

Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2002, 11:04 AM

iDVD doesn't recognize external FW DVD-R/RW drives to author video DVDs. Toast does (not sure about burning in the Finder) but only for writing data DVDs. Considering that an external FW DVD-R/RW is around U$450 (just quickly searched for a LaCie model--others might be cheaper), there isn't much money to be saved.

<edit>
If you do purchase an eMac, I'd suggest the stand, too. After seeing the eMac w/stand at an Apple Store, it really does place it at the proper height .
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2002, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by DBursey:
I'm considering whether or not to purchase the new eMac. I've read the reviews, and now I'm hoping to read more on the experiences of MacNN'ers. What are its strong points? Any nuances to share? Is the fan noise noticable? What other issues may there be?

Another issue: I'd like to have DVD burning capability. I'm debating whether it would be best to purchase the 800Mhz combo drive unit w.DVD burning, or to buy the 700 CD/RW model and apply the resulting savings towards an external DVD burner, extra RAM and an airport card. Any thoughts on internal vs. external DVD burning?

Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions.
IMHO, if you really want to burn DVDs, I'd say go for the internal one. Not only do you get the faster processor, but the internal SuperDrive is almost guaranteed to work. Definitely get the stand. RAM is really cheap these days, so you wouldn't need to wait too much longer after you get the machine to upgrade. I really like the eMac, and if I didn't already have my hands on an iMac and I was short on cash, I'd for sure get one. They're a wonderful value.

turboSPE

DBursey  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2002, 12:55 AM

Thanks guys. I picked up the eMac 800/256 w/superdrive today. I added the swivel stand, an airport card and an extra 512 Mb RAM.

My thoughts so far:

�Nice monitor, very bright and sharp. It's a definite improvement over my iMac DV/SE.

�10.2 is very smooth and responsive, with fluid window / genie effects.

�My biggest beef: The fan noise! Cripes that thing is loud. Especially as compared to the fanless iMac - the difference is severe! I hope I can get used to it, but I'm not sure I want to. Anyone else out there notice this?

15 days to decide ...

JNG
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2002, 06:42 AM

I am very happy with my new eMac. I don't find it loud at all. On mine, the fan is about the volume of exhaling with my lips slightly pursed-which is to say, virtually silent. I'm wondering if some of the fans are screwy, because I've heard so many people say how loud they are I was ready to cover my ears when I took it out of the box, and then I could barely tell it was on.

My only complaints so far would be the weight (can't be helped) and the fact that text looks pretty bad at anything other than the highest resolutions. I was expecting an improvement over my Indigo iMac's monitor, and it is-except in the area of text display.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2002, 08:36 AM

Unfortunately I didn�t have much time recently to stop by, but I could have told you about the fan�s noise level. OTOH, it�s been mentioned hundreds of times before here in this message board.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

DBursey  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2002, 12:26 PM

Hundreds of times, eh? Such hyperbole! I challenge you to verify this via a search. I did and yes, the subject was mentioned just once in a 60 day period in this section.

The noise level is my only issue of reservation with this emac. Alas, its bad enough that I've decided to return the (otherwise excellent) machine. I'd like to get a tower, but I hear those are even worse! As I work late into the night in an otherwise quiet room, the emac noise level is very disturbing. I urge anyone with similar consideration to avoid this machine. It has by far the loudest fan I've ever heard in any computer of any platform.

I pray the new iMac has no such unspoken issues awaiting my discovery.

JNG
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2002, 03:06 PM

That clinches it. Your eMac must be broken for it to be so loud that you'd return it. Mine is nearly silent. Take it in and make sure the fan is properly situated.

Xaositect
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2002, 03:29 PM

The fan is just bad. Get another.

Get the extended warranty, however. The CRT, Analog/Video board and Power Supply board are one part for ordering - meaning you have to get (and pay for) all three if just one goes bad. That warranty will pay for itself with one repair.

DSHwrd
Sep 20, 2002, 12:04 AM

Yep, you're fan is busted. Unless this really 'small' fan noise is that loud to you... (which it shouldn't be)

Also, Just a fair warning, I've had a few problems with the CD key ejecting the CDs properly (it'd kick them out then pull it right back in). It's fixed in Jaguar. Since Jaguar, I haven't had one problem with the eMac. I love it!

- Daniel
Daniel Howard | Mac OS X (10.2.2) | TiBook867 /\ iSub w/ Soundsticks /\ iPod
www.midnite-liteman.com | ideaSpiral 1.5.3 / DVD Rack 1.0.2

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2002, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by DBursey:

�My biggest beef: The fan noise! Cripes that thing is loud. Especially as compared to the fanless iMac - the difference is severe! I hope I can get used to it, but I'm not sure I want to. Anyone else out there notice this?

15 days to decide ...

heehee, my Bondi iMac used to sound like a leaf blower...
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

DBursey  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2002, 01:44 PM

Thanks, guys. I really don't think there's anything wrong with the emac fan; the sound is 'smooth', not harsh. I suppose that the quiet room, coupled with my earlier experience with a fanless imac, combines to increase my sensitivity to this sound.

It still drives me batty though.

One other(albeit minor)issue: There is a certain amount of distortion in the CRT's geometry that can't be corrected in the geometry control panel. The screen 'sags' at the top centre so that when the corners touch the edge, there is a 1 millimeter gap at the top centre. Picture for yourself a pincushion effect turned onto its side. A minor annoyance.

I'm still debating whether or not to return this machine in exchange for either an iMac FP or a new tower. Of course the newest towers also produce copious fan noise, but unlike the emac, the tower won't be sitting directly in front of my face.

JNG
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2002, 04:38 PM

I would seriously say that a mirrored drive door DP 1 GHz is like four times as loud as my eMac is, or maybe even more. I don't think I am alone in this perception. If the eMac is unbearable and the loudest computer on any platform you've ever heard, I think the Power Macs aren't going to be to your liking.

So if you insist on returning your eMac, go for the iMac, I guess. (I personally don't think there's a world of difference between the two noise-wise when the iMac fan is running, though.) Or a used Cube...with HD spinning properly, they are likely to be the quietest.

Jager
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2002, 01:02 AM

my first eMac melted, and cought fire, so I got it replaced... wasnt even 3 hours old... but the fan isnt that bad, well at night it isnt. I sleep next to my eMac that neaver turns off. and I dont even hear it anymore

DBursey  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2002, 09:06 AM

I've slowly gotten used to the sound of the fan. It's not a harsh or terribly loud sound at all ... I suppose that, coming from the fanless iMac, any sound seemed unacceptably intrusive initially. But a few nights working / playing on it has considerably dampened my initial apprehension. The snappy 800MHx G4, the gorgeous screen and many other factors of form and function have won me over. I'll pocket the $1000 CDN I save from not going for the 800MHz iMac ... perhaps pick up that new guitar that has caught my eye.

Off topic question (that probably deserves a thread of its own): I want to reformat and partition the 60Gb hard drive (which comes unpartitioned from the store). I have all my installation disks, and yet I don't think much of the installed software has an accompanying installation disk. How can I best back up these programs in order to reformat the drive? Can I simply burn the progs to CDR without having an installer for them? I assume the iSuite of programs (itunes, idvd, etc.) are included on the 10.2 installation disks, but what of things such as quicken, deimos rising etc?

What is the best way to proceed? Any advice?

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2002, 09:16 AM

It depends on the program. Most apps will work when you simply copy them onto your harddrive (avoiding the installer), but not all of them.

Unfortunately, I don't know which will work and which won't.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

scottiB
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2002, 12:10 PM

I'm trying to recall this from memory when I did this on my PMac last year (same thing happened when I needed to reinstall iDVD--OS 9 version).

I used the Software Restore disks--which returns your Mac to factory state (everything gets wiped). I believe that there's an option to set multiple partitions when you begin the process. All third party software are one these disks--probably the last one or two.

There is a way to extract the programs, saving them as disk images, so that you don't have to use the Restore disks; however, I can't recall off the top of my head. Check in the OS-X forum.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

JNG
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2002, 02:28 PM

There should be, in addition to the system install CDs, an Applications install CD in the big bunch of CDs that came with the eMac.. That's where everything like Quicken, etc. would be reinstalled from.

RBattin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2002, 11:44 PM

15 of the 210 eMacs my school district bought have developed video problems and will be replaced. Other than that they work great!

Forum Links
Forum Rules