Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Help: Settings Problem???

Help: Settings Problem???
sarahdan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2007, 03:30 PM

Hi

I am a new Mac user and just love it! Problem is that occasionally computer freezes, or I need to restart it. When I do restart, everything seems to "go back" a few days; my calender, anything i bookmarked in Firefox is gone, even my emails, that i had deleted, come back into my inbox.

I find this weird.

Can anyone PLEASE tell me what the problem is and how to fix it.
I am not a geek, just an everyday computer user

Thanks!

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2007, 03:42 PM

Do you have an external bootable backup? If so then it may be selected at startup and will take you back to the last backup you performed. Hold down the option key at reboot. I don't have any other suggestions, but your computer shouldn't be freezing...Something odd going on!
My Blog-pakos.me

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2007, 06:46 PM

What Mac do you have? Specs?
Signature depreciated.

sarahdan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2007, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by larrinski View Post
Do you have an external bootable backup? If so then it may be selected at startup and will take you back to the last backup you performed. Hold down the option key at reboot. I don't have any other suggestions, but your computer shouldn't be freezing...Something odd going on!
thanks - i will look into that, but i have not backed up anything.
weird...eh?

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2007, 11:09 AM

I think a lot of things do not get properly saved until you quit an application, so if you keep all your applications open and then your computer crashes, it will only have the data of when the apps were last closed 'properly'

As to why you mac is crashing, is your hard drive full? Have you recently added extra RAM? Is the power lead seated properly?

Also it could be the first crash you had has corrupted a file which is now causing all the other crashes - do you know how to do the basic disk repairs?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2007, 11:16 AM

A Mac running OS X should not just randomly freeze. That indicates a serious problem that should be fixed.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules