Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > AOL dial-up problem on Mac, not PC

AOL dial-up problem on Mac, not PC
RBattin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2002, 11:18 PM

A G4 733 has problems connecting to AOL while the PC's in the house using the same phone line have no problem. Is this an AOL 5 on OS X 10.1.3 issue since the PC's are up to AOL 7?

The Mac usually gets an error message the first time connecting saying "There was a problem inititializing the modem using the modem script" (set to Apple Internal 56K V.90) or "The modem is not accepting setup commands". Sometimes the error will say "could not get a carrier signal." On the next retry it might work fine.

This is not the hang issue since it is not a dual processor.

Switching the modem to Apple Internal 56K V.34 doesn't stop the error messages and just slows down the connection when made.

AOL beta has been requested but will it help this?

xyber233
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2002, 10:42 AM

I am not at home right now so I will tell you the exact one when I get home. I could not get my iMac to work with AOL in X using Apple Internal 56K V.90. There is a different Apple modem on there. It worked for me.

RBattin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2002, 12:24 PM

I have read elsewhere about people using a setting designed for people in Japan - "Nifty - Apple Internal 56K (V.90)." Is that what you are using?

xyber233
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2002, 08:46 PM

Yup. Thats it. try it out. It worked for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules