Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Utility Knife

Utility Knife
downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 2, 2010, 11:14 AM

Amazon.com: Milwaukee 48-22-1910 Side Open Utility Knife: Home Improvement

I designed it*, & it's out now! Bought one yesterday for $12 at a local hardware store. Woohoo!

Cheers!

PS: I don't get a kickback or anything, so this isn't spam or anything.

Power Tools - Electrician's Top Tool Choices - Sliding Utility Knife

Milwaukee Sliding Utility Knife Preview —Professional tool reviews for the average Joe

*: Design is a team effort, would not have been possible without the other designers, engineers, and manufacturers. Marketing though, was as usual, totally pointless.

finboy
Aug 2, 2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post

I designed it*, & it's out now! Bought one yesterday for $12 at a local hardware store. Woohoo!

*: Design is a team effort, would not have been possible without the other designers, engineers, and manufacturers. Marketing though, was as usual, totally pointless.
Congratulations! It's always nice to see one's work pay off.

Looks like a nice knife. I can appreciate a good boxcutter, I've used one a lot in my various pre-professional jobs, and that one looks comfortable. The main thing is durability. I still have the first simple Stanley I ever bought, from 1982. It's held up pretty well.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2010, 03:27 PM

Hey, that's awesome.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

PB2K
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2010, 04:56 PM

how much time does it take to get from the idea to the prototype? who builds the first prototype?
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2010, 06:23 PM

I only buy used box cutters because I care about the Earth.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 2, 2010, 08:14 PM

That's one "multi-purpose knife!" Cool design, Rob.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2010, 09:38 PM

Looks pretty nifty, Rob.

My only issue with any of the quick-change utility knives is that the blade 'throw' is usually a little less than on the regular old Stanley knife. I used to have a Banana Knife, which was awesome for quick blade switching, but sometimes the lessened blade cut depth screwed me over.

Right now I am using a cheap grey Stanley that I found on a jobsite, if that should break I am certainly going to check out these. Besides a tape measure and a hammer the utility knife is my most used tool.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Aug 2, 2010, 11:43 PM

Yeah, I'm not happy with the width of the thing. It turned out a bit fat, and I have no idea why. Maybe in the next rev it'll thin out a bit. One thing I do really like is the handle is EXTREMELY meaty and comfortable, so you can REALLY power through stuff with it. I have a 50s one and a stanley, and neither could cut my boat carpet even with new blades. The milwaukee does it just fine.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 3, 2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I only buy used box cutters because I care about the Earth.
Yeah, you jokers are paying full price for new ones, I'll let you depreciate it and I'll pick it up in 15 years or so.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2010, 10:24 AM

I don't think I've ever had to buy a knife, it's just one of those things that I've always had a few around.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2010, 10:27 AM

I've totally tricked out my box cutter. My 17 year old Coleman box cutter can cut circles around that piece of corporate wasteful crap. I've added stabilizing flanges, a self sharpening blade compartment and a tic-tac dispenser. I made a few dozen threads about it. You should check em out.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 3, 2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I've totally tricked out my box cutter. My 17 year old Coleman box cutter can cut circles around that piece of corporate wasteful crap. I've added stabilizing flanges, a self sharpening blade compartment and a tic-tac dispenser. I made a few dozen threads about it. You should check em out.
Dude **** you. Stabilizing flanges are totally stupid, and you're a moron for using them. I've written like 18 books about them, so basically I'm right.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I've written like 18 books about them
Dude, you amateur.

I have posted on teh intarwebs about it, BEAT THAT.

-t

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2010, 11:06 AM

I'm going to get a job at Burger King and every time I make a hamburger I'm going to make a thread about it. I'm also going to make a new thread every time I buy anything. It's going to be fantastic.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2010, 11:48 AM

Oh my word, I can't stop laughing.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Yeah, I'm not happy with the width of the thing. It turned out a bit fat, and I have no idea why. Maybe in the next rev it'll thin out a bit. One thing I do really like is the handle is EXTREMELY meaty and comfortable, so you can REALLY power through stuff with it. I have a 50s one and a stanley, and neither could cut my boat carpet even with new blades. The milwaukee does it just fine.
There is a very fine line between to fat and to skinny. I'd rather err on the side of fatness when it comes to a knife. White Cedar siding requires constant use of a utility knife, and I've used thinner ones in the past that made my hand cramp up.

Honestly, best knife I've ever had was the Banana Knife. It was hinged with a quick-release, the blades were held in place by a powerful magnet, and the blade holder mechanism was physically attached to the knife body, unlike the regular cheap-os that can fall right out. It was a little fat, and like I said earlier, the knife protrusion was noticeably less than regular knives.

Banana Knife

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2010, 12:51 PM

I redesigned the spring holder bracket on the rear control panel of this truck to hold the return spring in place and ease assembly. Are you guys super duper proud of me?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 3, 2010, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Banana Knife
I wonder why they call it a Banana Knife.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 3, 2010, 07:00 PM

I thought there was a trademark on the color yellow...

Phileas
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2010, 08:39 PM

^ Both awesome and unenforceable at the same time.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2010, 08:49 PM

My favorite utility knife(box cutter) is the good old Olfa L-1. I like the fact that each blade has eight fresh edges, the one hand adjustability, the infinite adjustability and the shape. Although I suppose you have to be right handed.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by macaddict0001 View Post
My favorite utility knife(box cutter) is the good old Olfa L-1. I like the fact that each blade has eight fresh edges, the one hand adjustability, the infinite adjustability and the shape. Although I suppose you have to be right handed.
Looks awesome

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by macaddict0001 View Post
Good for cardboard and paper, but those things will snap after one day of the kind of use I give a utility knife.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 4, 2010, 12:57 PM

I have an Olfa-type knife around for opening packages and cutting cardboard as sek says. That's about all it's useful for. I have a few aluminum bodied utility knives I use for cutting drywall or shaving wood with. They use the standard blades and fit my hand perfectly. I wrapped hockey tape around them for more grip. I bought them at garage sales and snap up more whenever I see them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules