Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iSync and .mac

iSync and .mac
ruttopia
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2002, 10:32 AM

Well, I've been reading about people complaing how iSync requires .mac to sync data across your Macs and I just laugh to myself. Why? Because this is one of the great many benefits of having a .mac account! People want more - well this is one of the features of .mac. And I must say it is AWESOME.

For the first time in my life, I have my data sync'd across my laptop and my desktop - ACCURATELY and EASILY. So now I paid $50 for this year and I get email, web storage space, basic website, free games and photos, and the ability to sync all my important data between my Macs, my iPod, and in the future (when I upgrade my aging Nokia) my cell phone.

AWESOME. iSync is truly a kick ass piece of software. I registered both my computers with the .Mac server (took 30 seconds for each machine). I click sync on one, then on the other. iSync tells me of any changes I'm making (if I elect to confirm them - which I do) to the .Mac server OR the local machine being synced. It lets me resolve discrepancies by choosing which change to use. For example, My desktop had an address book entry with some info. My laptop had the same one with a little less data. When I sync'd the laptop, it said that there was a discrepancy and asked me which one to use - I said the .Mac because it was more accurate and BAM! There is was. Now all my data is shared and I can go away on weekends (my fiancee' lives 2 hours away) and take my laptop with me, make changes to my calendar and address book, and come home and sync it in 2 minutes.

WHO WOULDN'T LOVE THIS?!!

Toyin
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2002, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by ruttopia:
WHO WOULDN'T LOVE THIS?!!
Someone with only one Mac.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

ruttopia  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2002, 10:57 AM

Just because you have one Mac doesn't mean you can't love it - it just means you can't use it the way I was describing it.

idparkinson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2002, 12:59 PM

What would be really good is if iSync loaded your .Mac WebMail address book when you sync to .Mac.

Seems a bit silly that it does not actually Sync to .Mac, but just uses it to sync between machnes.

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2002, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by idparkinson:
What would be really good is if iSync loaded your .Mac WebMail address book when you sync to .Mac.

Seems a bit silly that it does not actually Sync to .Mac, but just uses it to sync between machnes.
That would be really cool. In fact, I've just sent Apple feedback about that. Having your Mac OS X addressbook online, under .Mac Webmail...

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2002, 02:49 AM

Great if you can get it to work. I get account status errors (whatever that means). I guess I'm not worth of iSynch->.Mac because I'm not on broadband, or I speak the wrong language or something.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2002, 03:46 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
Great if you can get it to work. I get account status errors (whatever that means). I guess I'm not worth of iSynch->.Mac because I'm not on broadband, or I speak the wrong language or something.
Maybe your just a dork. Or from the UK. Either one means your not worthy.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

slider
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2002, 05:52 AM

Just did the .Mac iSync thing last night, it was so easy that I had to stop for a minute and think about how easy it was. Same thing with my iPod, cake. I haven't had any problems, it just works. It must be a beta because the UI is too fat

Forum Links
Forum Rules