Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Video not supported in AOL for OS X

Video not supported in AOL for OS X
quadgrande
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2004, 09:31 AM

Yeah, I know, I haven't used AOL for years, but I go through cycles of wanted to hunt down info myself versus having it spoon fed to me. Plus I always like trying new apps on OS X.

So I'm trying out AOL for OS X, and I click on some video content in the news channel. Nothing happens, no video, just a page with links to other video content, and a link to 'video@aol', clicking on this one brings me to a page that says video is not supported on the version of AOL I am using and I should upgrade (I am running the most current version the app tells me after I click the supplied 'Upgrade' button).

So I try to chat live with a tech support representative. I make it to a page that says 'Loading Java Applet', which freezes the entire application requiring a force quit. Now I know that most developers don't adhere to all the standards and sometimes Java applets don't work (to put it mildly). But there's also this little concept of testing and QA.

So I call the support number listed in Help as Mac OS X Support phone number. The representative asks me if I'm running Windows 98 or XP. lol. So he transfers me to OS X support. The guy has me clear Internet Explorer cache (????). Basically after 1/2 hour, nothing was helping, and this guys tries to view the content himself on his own mac. He says that he is unable to view the content as well, and he guess that video is not supported on the mac, and he's sorry. After making several offers for additional products, I'm able to get him off the phone and call the cancellation department.

So I call to cancel, and the cancellation rep says video does work, and she has a senior technical person to help me. Yea!

She transfers me back to technical support, and if this guy is a senior support rep, it's no wonder the product stinks. He starts running me through the same script as the first guy, and I interrupt to ask him if he'll just try accessing the video himself. And then he comes back 5 minutes later to say that I am correct, video is not supported on the mac.

So back to the cancellation queue (nice 5 minute hold time there, no wonder). New guys says they're aware of the problem and will give me two months free, would I just hold on to see if they can get it working in the next 2 months. I agreed. The clock is ticking!

Now I'm off to watch some quicktime movie trailers, real media news stories, and windows media short films.

Forum Links
Forum Rules