Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > using classic ever again?

using classic ever again?
bplatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 09:57 PM

in my fervor to check out panther on my G4 powerbook, and wanting to do it as cleanly as possible, i erased my system's disk and installed panther. i previously had backed up everything except the system folders.

everything is great, except for a few quirks in mail regarding importing my old mailboxes it's as seemless as 10.2 and i'm still super productive on my mac.

however, about 15 minutes into it, i realized that in wiping and installing my disk i had forgotten to install OS 9 first, thus i have no classic engine.

my question to you is this: if you were in this position would you start from scratch again, installing 9 and panther again, then restoring software... or would you just look at what you use and realize, if you're like me, you haven't launched a classic app in months, why start now.

are there any repercussions of not having classic that i'm not aware of?

are there people out there now with both 10.3 and 10.2 that have been living classicless for a while now?

is there a way to install classic and not have to reinstall everything? i'll search through the forums again for this one, i'm sure there's some trick to it i'm more interested in knowing if it's commonplace now to take off the training wheels of OS 9 if you can find a substitute (ie. indesign for pagemaker)

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2003, 10:21 PM

I haven't used classic in years. No app I use is classic only so I'm set. (I do wish Majesty would be carbonized, but alas, no)
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

willab
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2003, 12:32 AM

No classic here.
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

ibobunot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 12:36 AM

I ditched classic when Photoshop 7 came out. No problems here.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2003, 12:44 AM

Is there an issue with some Macromedia apps needing Classic for installation?

Other than that, I can't think of a reason to use classic ever again. Bye bye, 9.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2003, 12:55 AM

Classic? It's been so long I forget what it is...

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2003, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by bplatt:
is there a way to install classic and not have to reinstall everything?
I did the same thing - nice clean install, forgetting all about classic.

BUT

it's easy to install without reinstalling anything. Just drag a system folder over from another computer with classic, or from a classic disk or whatever... pick the system folder in the classic control panel, and you're done (you can also copy over a Applications (OS 9) folder so you have the basics if you ever need them.

I don't think you really need classic these days, but since a whole install in about 300MB w/ applications and all, there's not a whole lot of reason not to have it available...
cpac

stoneage
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2003, 06:41 PM

What is this "Classic" and "9" that everybody are talking about?
W....liar or idiot? Pick two.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 06:44 PM

I haven't used Classic since i wiped it installing DP4. Had a few problems to begin with, but now everything is fine and i couldnt go back to OS 9.

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 06:46 PM

No classic install here as well. I don't need it, and I never will need it.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Brass
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2003, 07:27 PM

Unfortunately, I still do need classic on rare occasions for two applications: DesignWorkshop Lite (a fantastic 3D modelling application - they appear to be completely uninterested in OS X); and the Australian Taxation Office's BAS submission program.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 10:04 PM

I still use 9 for Pagemaker..... since Adobe refused to update it and went to Indesign instead. Pagemaker is so much easier to use!

sodamnregistered2
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2003, 10:20 PM

Probably not.

I just clean installed Panther on my G5. There is no OS9 on the computer.

FCP 4 upgrade let me do a clean install.

I am unable to install my Cinema 4d XL 7, since I am unable to install v7 in OSX. I need to install v7 to be able to run the OSX enable 7.3 update. I will call Maxon tommorrow.

I have some OS9 only filters for my After Effects 5.5, but I guess I'll need to upgrade them.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16GHz 2GB 120GB OSX 10.4.9, Boot Camp 1.2, Vista Home Premium
mac mini 1.42, 60GB 7200rpm, 1GB (sold), dual 2GHz/G5 (sold), Powerbook 15" 1GHz (sold)
dual G4 800MHz (sold), dual G4 450MHz (sold), G4 450MHz (sold), Powerbook Pismo G3 500MHz (sold)
PowerMac 9500 132MHz 601, dual 180MHz 604e, Newer G3 400MHz (in closet)
Powermac 7100 80MHz (sold), Powermac 7100 66MHz (sold)

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2003, 10:24 PM

Nope. I had it installed when I got Jaguar, just in case, but I used it maybe twice. So I finally wiped my drive and installed solely Panther this time

pwgphoto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 10:46 PM

I have just bought a used g4 500 powerbook with OS 10.1.5 and 9.2 installed a couple weeks ago. I have been waiting for Panther to come out before upgrading. My problem is that I use and only have photoshop 5 & FotoStation 4.5 and can not upgrade these for a while.

I have been booting up my mac in 9.2 to use these programs. I am new to the mac os world only using it at work for PhotoShop and the IT guy fixes it when it breaks. My question is will I still be able to boot into OS 9 if I install Panther? When I bought the powerbook it had the OS's installed already so I have no discs. What are my best options?

Thanks

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 10:47 PM

Classic is so 2001.
Actually, I think I still had it installed in early 2002, as well...
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

bonaccij
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 08:17 AM

I haven't used classic in over 2 years. If all of your apps are OS X native, why even bother??
In the end, it�s all about the composition.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 08:30 AM

Deus Ex. Need Classic.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 08:45 AM

Still using OS 9. Have a client who needs me to convert some old faxes to .tif, couldn't find any programs on X that could open the original files. And then there's Tac Ops, which IMHO, doesn't run well enough in Classic via OS X.

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Oct 27, 2003, 08:54 AM

classic is much nicer under Panther, with double-buffered windows that don't suffer from the re-draw flicker and the nifty menu icon....

doesn't anyone ever use it for a bit of nostalgia? fire up netscape 4.5 or something? wordperfect? old games?

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Oct 27, 2003, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
doesn't anyone ever use it for a bit of nostalgia? fire up netscape 4.5 or something? wordperfect? old games?
i have older machines for that purpose. my 3 main Macs run 10.3, with the iBook & old skool machines running 8.6 & 9.2 (Quark, feh!)

oh, if you want nostalgia, try Netscape 1.0, and snicker at how it refuses to open netscape.com
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 09:24 AM

I don't use Classic anymore. If I run an application that starts Classic, I stop before it's even launched, I delete the app and find somthing else that work in X. In fact I don't even know why I have Classic still installed.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2003, 10:23 AM

Classic What's that? I haven't used Classic Since at least the original release of 10.2 I did a reformat and re-install of Panther lastnight and didn't even bother to install Classic.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2003, 10:40 AM

I was using Classic for the sole purpose of running Outlook, but recently I filched an older PC box from our IT department for that. Classic is still on my HD but is no longer used. It's a good feeling.

nkusuma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 11:16 AM

Unfortunately, I am still being forced using classic at home (Lego Robolab) and at work (QPS).

What I did - I installed Panther in fresh new drive in my imac and take out the old drive that has Jaguar and OS 9 partition - put it in external firewire casing.

When I need classic, I just navigate to OS 9 apps and launch it. Panther then lauch classic without problem.

I can also choose start up on OS 9 (via OS X System Preference) if I want to since I have older iMacFP/800MHz.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 12:45 PM

When I installed Panther I formatted my drive, deleting Classic in the process. I hadn't used it it a while, so I'm going to play it by ear. If I need it, I'll go grab a system folder off my G3 or something.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2003, 01:05 PM

My PowerBook's hard drive crashed on Thursday, ordered a new drive from outpost.com and shipped it overnight. Got it in the morning, got Panther at night, installed it all nice and clean and no Classic as of Saturday! (At least the timing for the hard drive crash wasn't that bad. )

Mind you, I haven't actually used any classic apps since 10.1 but I always kept a Mac OS 9 System Folder around "just in case." But I can now say I don't have classic even installed.

(The only problem I ran into was that my MS Office V.X disc was an upgrade copy, so it was looking for an old Classic Office folder.)

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2003, 01:23 PM

The last time I had to use classic is when Roxio sent me a Toast upgrade that required that I have classic. That was in July, and I hadn't used Classic in about 2 years previously. OS 9 is dead to people except those who depend on an app that companies refuse to get with the times on, or those who still want to play Crystal Quest or Spectre.

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2003, 01:50 PM

My mom likes to play "After Dark Games," a discontinued app, so we still use Classic. EDIT: I forgot, Color It 3 too.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

gralem
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2003, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by stoneage:
What is this "Classic" and "9" that everybody are talking about?
Think of "9" as "Mac OS W"

---gralem

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2003, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by gralem:
Think of "9" as "Mac OS W"

---gralem
I like it!

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2003, 03:24 PM

I have classic running from a disc image - I NEVER use it, but its there JUST in case. The reason I use it on a disc image is so its only 1 file - its just neater that way.

Also, If I wanted to install classic on another partition or computer, I can just copy that 1 file over. And I can delete that 1 file if I ever decide to be completely rid of it.

For now, I like having the option, and I have some older medical CD ROMs that require it-

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2003, 03:26 PM

I run classic to play classic games. There's still no music in Monkey Island 1 in SCUMM VM

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules