Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > XCode // Code Sense // Java

XCode // Code Sense // Java
gralem
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2003, 12:33 AM

I am having difficulty finding ANY information about using Code Sense and Java. At WWDC, apple said that all XCode features would be equally supported on ObjC & Java.

Well, if you start "Cocoa Document-Based Application" project in XCode. Pull up MyDocument.m and navigate to the "- (NSString *)windowNibName" method. Anywhere before the return statement (slowly) type "[self " (remember to type a space after self). All of the methods available to you should show up.

Now start a "Cocoa-Java Document-Based Application" project in XCode. Pull up MyDocument.java and navigate to the "public String windowNibName()" method. Anywere before the return statement (slowly) type "this." (remember to include the period). No methods, no information about java classes is shown.

So my first reaction is "of course they don't care about Java" and "they have so many new features and so little time to port it all" (etc).

But I want to see it written down from Apple that the Java feature set in XCode is limited compared to the Objective-C features. Does anyone know of links. The installed developer docs has few updated documents that are specific to XCode and "Code Sense". A google searching site:apple.com shows about the same few documents.

Am I missing something altogether here? Any news/hints/ideas?

---gralem

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 01:07 AM

It's true....read the java-dev mailing list.

Just use NetBeans...
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

gralem  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2003, 09:10 AM

Thank you--that is the direction I needed...I've been reading the WO-dev mailing list and seeing nothing. I will get on the java-dev.

---gralem

teknologika
Nov 2, 2003, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by gralem:
I am having difficulty finding ANY information about using Code Sense and Java. At WWDC, apple said that all XCode features would be equally supported on ObjC & Java.
It seems that someone was telling fibs at the WWDC .....

This is from the xcode release notes ....

Code completion is not supported for Java or CocoaJava.

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2003, 04:32 PM

Well it's good to know that it's not my installation that's fubar, but very very annoying. Code completion used to work flawlessly in ProjectBuilder, admittedly it wasn't project-wide, only within the context of the same file, but still it was better than nothing.

I don't want to have to learn about javabeans in order to get code completion...besides, I don't see how that would make any difference anyway.

[Edit: Forgot to say that keywords and some methods are supported for auto-completion in Java, so it may be on the way in an update]
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

Forum Links
Forum Rules