Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > WWDC almost here - where are the rumors, leaks, etc?

WWDC almost here - where are the rumors, leaks, etc? (Page 2)
Turias
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
About 2 weeks ago, they said no G5 powerbooks or iMac's this year.
The link:

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/...=1086765595000

The quote:

While Boger didn't give a timeframe for an iMac G5, he did say the company faced similar challenges getting a G5 to work with their consumer desktop.

"It's the same story -- the challenges are obvious when you look at the G5 and the size of the heatsinks and the enclosure; that would be a heck of a challenge as well."

In other words, don't get your hopes up.

osxisfun
Jun 22, 2004, 03:05 PM

I thought they said G5 powerbooks only. But i did not read the article, just the blurb.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 22, 2004, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
2560x1600 at 32bpp and 60Hz is almost 8 gigabits... I don't know of any current technology that can transmit that. Even HDMI, which is just starting to be seen in consumer products, only supports up to 5 gigabits.
Yeah but dual DVI (or DVI + ADC) would handle it just fine.

No they didn't. They said no G5 PowerBooks or 3 GHz Power Macs this year.

I find it quite interesting that they specifically did not say "No G5 iMacs this year" despite the fact they were talking about iMacs in the very same interview.

osxisfun
Jun 22, 2004, 04:19 PM

WHOOP. there it is.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=517

g5 imacs. WWDC most likely.

me->bar->apple store->wwdc broadcast-> fun.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 05:18 PM

Apple will come with enough new products and product updates to keep people on these forums whining until Christmas...

Super Glitcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2004, 06:44 PM

Disagree all you want... blah blah blah
The one button mouse may be solid, but so is a walnut and that's hardly a qualifier for being a pro choice input peripheral. Lacking features... yeah I'd say so- as far as I can tell it only has one feature... and it's the same freakin feature that came on the mouse I got when I purchased my Macintosh SE.
"Thank you Mario, but our princess is in another castle."

Zubir
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2004, 07:36 PM

"WHOOP. there it is.

me->bar->apple store->wwdc broadcast-> fun."

Wish they'd make them headless, with a standard VGA connector.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by Zubir:
Wish they'd make them headless, with a standard VGA connector.
Won't happen because Apple would just end up losing sales in the display department. A headless iMac would have some form of proprietary cconnection to force you to use an Apple display. Just makes economic sense for Apple.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Won't happen because Apple would just end up losing sales in the display department. A headless iMac would have some form of proprietary cconnection to force you to use an Apple display. Just makes economic sense for Apple.
If that were true, then why wouldn't that logic apply to the PowerMac?

You can't go the proprietary route if you're Apple. It's a sort of protectionist policy that inevitably fails in the long run. Apple's in no position to force their standards on anyone (except for the iPod and iTMS). When you're not the market leader, you must cling to and espouse the wonders of open standards. Only when you have a stangle hold on the market can you afford non-standard, proprietary interfaces.

That said, I don't see a headless iMac. My reasoning is that Steve's obviously positioned the iMac as a turn-key, all-in-one solution. iMacs have from Day One incorporated a display. It's at the core of the iMac philosophy, I think, at least in Steve's mind. Mind you, I want a headless iMac just like most other people, but I just don't think it will happen.

However, that doesn't mean that there can't be a totally new consumer product line that is headless, like the Cube. Personally, that's what I'm hoping for. I would see this as a special product, in addition to the more standard all-in-one iMac/eMac product line. The Cube, to me, was an honest attempt at such a product and I think it failed only because it was way overpriced. Maybe Steve learned his lesson and it ready to try again.

Super Glitcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2004, 12:24 AM

Ha
in an aluminum/grille enclosure it really would look like a toaster.

dws
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2004, 01:49 AM

As fun as it would be to have new hardware announced at the WWDC (though I'm doubtful about a G5 iMac just yet), I'm really hoping that the keynote will be dominated by Tiger features (and associated APIs) that would blow the minds of the Mac developer community.

OS X has been refined to such a remarkable degree that I'm really wondering whether Tiger's features will represent a quantum leap forward (in at least a couple key areas). There are strong indications that the teams working on OS X bug and feature fixes have been steadily slimmed down over the last year; with many Apple developers now working on 'other' projects. It is entirely possible that we will all learn (next week) that Tiger's features are so ambitious that it will seem quite reasonable for it to not ship until early next year; and the third-party developers will need each and every one of those months to work with the new APIs, creating software that will redefine the Mac experience.

This might seem over-ambitious, and is sure to displease those who simply want a shiny new box; but it represents the best of all possible outcomes for the upcoming WWDC.

benstiglitz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2004, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by dws:
As fun as it would be to have new hardware announced at the WWDC (though I'm doubtful about a G5 iMac just yet), I'm really hoping that the keynote will be dominated by Tiger features (and associated APIs) that would blow the minds of the Mac developer community.
Hey! Someone actually remembers the name of the conference! (WWDC == Worldwide Developers Conference)

Super Glitcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2004, 04:07 AM

that's such a vague word.. .

Medazinol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2004, 06:39 AM

This is WWDC, not a Macworld or other usual event. Its for developers. Apple (Steve) is doing the webcast and will show Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) publicly for the first time and tha'ts it.

No other products will be announced.

We got the G5 last year, we were lucky. But there isn't any product in the lineup that's really due for an update that is critical to get this amount of potential press.

Nope, they will show Tiger to get mouths watering, leave us hanging to get it untail later in the year and call it a day.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2004, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by Medazinol:
This is WWDC, not a Macworld or other usual event. Its for developers. Apple (Steve) is doing the webcast and will show Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) publicly for the first time and tha'ts it.
WWDC is the new Macworld.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2004, 09:19 AM

I just like to see new products released. Actually, I am really excited to see some of the new API's and features that Apple will reveal next week! You know why? I am getting my PowerBook next week and I get to finally move on from 10.2.8!

Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2004, 11:53 AM

[B]This is WWDC, not a Macworld or other usual event. Its for developers.
First, the addition of the G5 to the consumer lineup is extremely relevant to developers. Second, WWDC is *not* just for developers; anytime Steve makes a speech to a large audience it's going to get widespread coverage. WWDC is exactly the venue he'd want for an announcement as big as a G5 iMac.

No other products will be announced. We got the G5 last year, we were lucky. But there isn't any product in the lineup that's really due for an update that is critical to get this amount of potential press.
Identical logic was in abundance last year asserting that there couldn't possibly be new hardware at WWDC, and in addition to the G5 we also got the iSight. And yes, the iMac is (over)due for a significant update.

gralem
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2004, 01:46 PM

The iSight was also released last year--remember? WWDC is THE place for hardware annoucements for the developers (which is the only reason the iMac may not be annonced--but I bet it will). But it is a place for workstation, multimedia hardware (iSight/iPod/etc) and software (Motion/FCP/etc), and miscellaneous hardware (pro-mouse).

Anything can happen. I'm looking forward to being in the audience on monday! We'll see (hopefully they'll give stuff away again--like they did with the iSight).

---gralem

No other products will be announced.

We got the G5 last year, we were lucky. But there isn't any product in the lineup that's really due for an update that is critical to get this amount of potential press.

Nope, they will show Tiger to get mouths watering, leave us hanging to get it untail later in the year and call it a day.

Super Glitcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2004, 01:56 PM

Yeah... sorry bro - there's gonna be lots and lots of non-codehead specific updates at this years WWDC.
Which is a good thing, I mean otherwise I might not even be following this thread-

Also, isn't Motion suppose to get released about this time?

That's what I'm drooling over...

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by Zoom:
They should whine. G4 iMacs are a joke and they're not selling. Why should anyone be anxious to see non-G5 iMacs?
I bought one in March for my wife. It replaced another one of those machines that didn't sell---the Cube.

I guess I have bad taste
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Maharaja
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2004, 01:29 AM

I'm new to Mac and WWDC...so tolerate me for a while.

Has there been in the past of other non-apple Mac hardwares in the previous WWDC? I want to hear any official news on ATI X800 for Mac coz i'm holding back to buy a new ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac SE.

Thanks.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2004, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by Maharaja:

Has there been in the past of other non-apple Mac hardwares in the previous WWDC? I want to hear any official news on ATI X800 for Mac coz i'm holding back to buy a new ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac SE.

Thanks.
Once in awhile news of Graphics cards comes out at MacWorld's. Dunno bout WWDC, and dunno if we can actually expect it there.

-Owl

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2004, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by Maharaja:

Thanks.
If it will be announced, I'd expect it more at the Boston Macworld that is right after WWDC. ATI will probably be there.

-matt

AlphaQuam
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2004, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
Huh? You mean a scroll wheel that takes up half the space of the mouse? Not going to happen. Apple is going to stick with a 1 button mouse for a long, long time.
I think he was referring not to the shape but to the fact that the scroll wheel on the iPod is electrostatic. I'd love to see a mouse with an electrostatic wheel, Apple or not.

Turias
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by AlphaQuam:
I think he was referring not to the shape but to the fact that the scroll wheel on the iPod is electrostatic. I'd love to see a mouse with an electrostatic wheel, Apple or not.
Ah, that makes more sense. Having fewer moving parts is always a good thing.

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2004, 05:56 PM

I agree that there will probably not be any consumer hardware announcements. Someone mentioned the iSight being released at WWDC, but consider this:

At WWDC, Steve demoed Panther. What was one of the new features of Panther? iChat AV (yes, you can get it for Jaguar, but it's included with Panther). What does iChat AV need? A webcam. Enter iSight.

The only reason we might see an iMac G5 is so that Apple can show developers that they are serious about 64-bit computing. But I still doubt we'll see one.

My guesses for WWDC are:

* A quick recap of the year so far. iTunes Europe, Airport Express, G5 speedbumps, maybe apologize for not hitting 3 GHz as promised.

* Tiger demo, developer build given to devs.

* Quicktime 7 demo, developer build given to devs. Quicktime is a major aspect of OS X development, so that fits into WWDC.

* XCode 1.5 demo, developers already have seed build, will be given special developer build. According to the XCode 1.5 seed notes, 1.5 will be a major upgrade.

* Possibly iChat 3.0 (iChat AV 2.0) released if, and only if, Apple opens up its InstantMessaging framework or allows developers to use iChat's video-conferencing features in their own apps.

* Possibly iPod updates if, and only if, Apple opens up the iPod's software to third-party apps. XCode 1.5 could include tools to compile an iPod program (game, etc). However, this is not likely.

Although Apple may introduce other updates, they shouldn't. The people in the audience for the keynote have payed a $1,600 entree fee. They are (almost) all developers. They expect news and updates that are important to developers. The only reason the G5 was even released there last year was because it was a shift to 64-bit processors, and that is important to developers.

Wow, I think that may be the longest post I've ever written.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2004, 06:53 PM

No, just no G5 Powerbooks.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

jld
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2004, 08:20 PM

I'd _LOVE_ to see 6-8 gig mini ipods. I haven't heard a peep about any such announcement, so it's probably just a pipe dream, but I'd love it.
12" AlBook • 15" Albook • G4 Cube • iSight • Original iPod • PB 100 • Newton 110 • Quicktake 100

Drifter
Jun 25, 2004, 12:31 PM

G5 iMac: 25% probability
Tiger: 100% probability
Display upgrades: 75% probability
iPod anything: 5% probability
3 button mouse: -100% (not real number)

G5 iMac: iMac needs a speed bump. And it needs to get some of the propritary crap fixed. I recently had my iMac screen go black.

Tiger: What the hell could they possibly announce? Then again, I said that about Panther�
Fix some of these damn bugs! Like the frozen mouse! For the love of God fix those damnable print limitations! Win 95 has better printing!

Display: Drop prices. New casing, Mr. Ive. The current ones remind me of ugly aqua pinstripes and the cube! Maybe make it more adjustable in height. And please don't make it sit on a little pole in the center like alot of other LCDs. Keep the two ones on the side.

iPod anything: You're crazy. Why do you need a color iPod? 60GB iPod would be out in winter, not now.

Three button mouse: Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
[Should I get the studio mouse or MacMice The Mouse?]

There's my take.

And where can we find out if this is live or delayed or when we can see it?

[Edit] XCode 1.5 would be nice. I want dev kits for iPod! We need more games than solitaire. I'd also like Apple to let Octiv put Volume Logic on an iPod

jdl. You're sig sucks. Ass.
( Last edited by Drifter; Jun 25, 2004 at 12:37 PM. )
They call be�tater salad.
American, Conservative, Jew, Geek, Photoshop nut, headbanger, and proud!
Punks bands suck,
Metal pwns.
Communism tastes like chicken.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2004, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by superfula:
Here here. I think it would be quite humorous to come back here after TheSteve announces speed-bumped iMacs and no-G5s. Oh how the people will be whining.
HEAR HEAR !

Btw, that option has been discussed quite a lot and is the most probable outcome.
Gosh, AAPL is gonna take some bad hits next week. All the rumors and pipedreams not coming true....

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2004, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
WHOOP. there it is.

me->bar->apple store->wwdc broadcast-> fun.
Forget it.
ThinkSecret says no.
If you know about Apple rumor sites, you should know what THAT means.

http://thinksecret.com/news/wwdc04apple.html

-t

anoetic
Jun 25, 2004, 01:04 PM

You need to reread the article they said:

"I think it's important to realize that the technical challenges are not trivial putting that G5 in a PowerBook or anything else and not to expect a G5 anytime soon in a PowerBook -- certainly not before the end of the year," said Boger.

While Boger didn't give a timeframe for an iMac G5, he did say the company faced similar challenges getting a G5 to work with their consumer desktop.

"It's the same story -- the challenges are obvious when you look at the G5 and the size of the heatsinks and the enclosure; that would be a heck of a challenge as well."

Never does he say no iMac in 2004. That doesn't mean that they are certain for WWDC but we need to stick with the facts and not read into things.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2004, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
Forget it.
ThinkSecret says no.
You mean the same Think Secret that said no PowerBooks at Macworld Jan 2003, even though Mac Rumors said there would be?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2004, 01:10 PM

I'm with Eug on this one. I think Nick is full of it. Not only is there good reason to believe the iMac revision should be announced at WWDC, it's also extremely necessary to keep the line alive at all.

osxisfun
Jun 25, 2004, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
Forget it.
ThinkSecret says no.

http://thinksecret.com/news/wwdc04apple.html

-t
and you need to go to these links:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/mwsf03apple.html

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/nov5portables.html

They are not the iron clad guarantee that most believe.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2004, 01:29 PM

From the link: Let us put this issue to rest: There will be no Superdrive version(s) announced.

Heheh, I ordered my SuperDrive TiBook one week later.

jrjsmrtn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2004, 01:31 PM

- Cocoa for Windows... so that we can compile our wonderful applications for the other side of the world as well...;

- iChat for Windows *and* of course Windows drivers for the iSight... so that I can use it on my XP box *and* talk with Windows-equipped friends. Look at the success of Skype... it's VoIP for the rest of us... (http://www.skype.com/);

- Apple has helped and finished porting Darwine (http://darwine.sf.net/) so that I can run some Win32 applications on MacOS without paying a tax for VirtualPC... :-)

- bundled ODBC drivers and a MS Query-like utility !!! They bundled Gimp-Print so that we can use any printer, but we can't connect to database because there's no ODBC drivers. Not even for Open Source databases !

- man pages for all their Unix commands...

OK, I agree, it's more of a wish list than rumors... :-)

illume
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2004, 02:00 PM

I would hope Apple gets on with the idea of making equipment that is geared to the way people (Airtist) are working today with their computers.

1. - A three button, scroll wheel, wireless, bluetooth mouse. .. PLEASE!!!

2. - A larger display that also can receive NTSC video inputs (SDI, HDTV, RGB & SVHS).

3. - A Video iPod (iVod) , a portable MPEG4 player.

4. - A cheaper price for the Shake program. $1,500 wouldn't be so bad.. is it?

5. - Bring Pixar's 3D programs to the Mac OS already, you've teased us enough!!!!!

Let's roll the dice and see

James

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2004, 02:16 PM

iChat gaining VoIP compatibility would be good.

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
iChat gaining VoIP compatibility would be good.
Well, you CAN do voice calls with iChat. What sort of VoIP are you talking about? You want Vonage-like service? And just a softphone within iChat or a physical Apple-branded VoIP phone?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2004, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
I'm with Eug on this one. I think Nick is full of it. Not only is there good reason to believe the iMac revision should be announced at WWDC, it's also extremely necessary to keep the line alive at all.
If there are new iMacs at WWDC, then it's sounding like they won't be G5 iMacs, but speedbumped G4 iMacs. If Steve had new G5 iMacs to announce I'd think Apple would be providing a Quicktime streaming of the keynote. From what I've read there is NO Quicktime streaming of the keynote, so I don't expect any big announcements like a G5 iMac.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2004, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Leonard:
If there are new iMacs at WWDC, then it's sounding like they won't be G5 iMacs, but speedbumped G4 iMacs. If Steve had new G5 iMacs to announce I'd think Apple would be providing a Quicktime streaming of the keynote. From what I've read there is NO Quicktime streaming of the keynote, so I don't expect any big announcements like a G5 iMac.
IIRC, there was no QuickTime streaming of the G5 Power Mac announcement either until after the keynote.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2004, 06:42 PM

i wonder when powerbooks will get OLED's .. imagine the battery life and size of the laptop then =P

i read on a site (forgot which one) that apple was researching oled's but that they are not going to be part of wwdc ... or atleast not likely (.000001% chance)

Group51
Senior User
Jun 25, 2004, 08:42 PM

AppleWorks 7!

Well, it was worth a try.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2004, 02:03 AM

Honestly who cares about streaming of the keynote? The main market of the imac, minus apple enthusiasts, probably won't even be watching it.

It's the marketing, and the news posts about it, that sell it.
Aloha

Eugene
Senior User
Jun 26, 2004, 03:57 AM

Originally posted by Link:
Honestly who cares about streaming of the keynote? The main market of the imac, minus apple enthusiasts, probably won't even be watching it.

It's the marketing, and the news posts about it, that sell it.
Yes, it's the marketing and the n00z That's why there will definitely be a webcast of some sort. Members of the press who are unable to attend will get access to such a QuickTime stream.

macenzo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2004, 05:54 AM

Software:
Tiger
QT7
iChat 3

Hardware:
iPod 2 (Airtunes integrations and some new futures)
iMac 3 (new design: xserve like pizza box)
new displays

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2004, 06:50 AM

Originally posted by Zoom:
Well, you CAN do voice calls with iChat. What sort of VoIP are you talking about? You want Vonage-like service? And just a softphone within iChat or a physical Apple-branded VoIP phone?
Just SIP (softphone) within iChat - I currently use x-lite - which is v good, but not very mac-like and not ABook integration.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2004, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by Group51:
AppleWorks 7!

I feel your pain...

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

gralem
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2004, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Group51:
AppleWorks 7!

THANKS GROUP51-
The most realistic rumor so far!

We'll see what is really going on Monday morning. Nothing else to worry about but the truth. (I just hope they give us a free one of whatever it is).

---gralem

Forum Links
Forum Rules