Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iWeb is okay, anything better but similar

iWeb is okay, anything better but similar
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2006, 01:00 AM

I'm never to web design, but since iWeb seemed so easy and came free, I gave it a shot.

It's pretty good, if you want to build a very simple website.

I wish it had more though and was more customizable.

It also seems to lack the ability to use HTML, which is what makes it easy, but I couldn't add a paypal button for people to make donations because of it. Or at least I couldn't figure it out.

What other web builders are easy to use, but offer a bit more.

I'm sure iWeb 2 will be much better, but what do I do until then?

Also, can you publish a website using another server besides .Mac. I assume you can.

thanks.

JKT
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2006, 02:53 AM

RapidWeaver

I recommend watching the ScreenCastsOnline tutorials on the programme (altogether, there are 5 at the moment) to see how it works as it isn't quite the same as iWeb. The big advantage of RapidWeaver is that it is deceptively easy to use yet actually has a lot of power that can be accessed as well. It also has a good community of users, theme developers and plug-in developers to improve the programme.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2006, 05:02 AM

There is also Sandvox (currently still beta), plus a highly rated cross-platform one who's name escapes me (but I found the interface too linux-ey)

nbnz
Senior User
Apr 24, 2006, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
There is also Sandvox (currently still beta), plus a highly rated cross-platform one who's name escapes me (but I found the interface too linux-ey)
Do you mean nvu? http://www.nvu.com/

I prefer RapidWeaver out of those 3 options. And version 3.5 will be out soon adding a lot of enhancements (with a free upgrade from current version).
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2006, 12:29 AM

I was playing with RapidWeaver and right now, it's just not working for my brain. iWeb made more sense.

Both seem so limited with just the templates. Or am I missing it?

I heard Dreamweaver might be better, but the learning curve might be steep.

any other programs you use or recommend?

thanks.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 04:14 AM

iWeb Enhancer...?

You can already get quite a few iWeb plugins and such which will help add features that iWeb is missing (such as not being able to add HTML in directly)

real
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2006, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by JKT
RapidWeaver

I recommend watching the ScreenCastsOnline tutorials on the programme (altogether, there are 5 at the moment) to see how it works as it isn't quite the same as iWeb. The big advantage of RapidWeaver is that it is deceptively easy to use yet actually has a lot of power that can be accessed as well. It also has a good community of users, theme developers and plug-in developers to improve the programme.

Second that Rapidweaver is the great. Just as easy as iweb but more powerful.

real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2006, 08:19 PM

I'll have to try harder with Rapidweaver, but I feel that all their pages look the same... nice, but similar, not much difference between them.

So maybe I'll see how far I can push iWeb. Any plugins that you recommend? I found a few on Version Tracker.

cgc
Professional Poster
May 17, 2006, 09:47 PM

I love Rapidwever. If you take a little time to scan through the themes you can make them look any way you want/need. Get a good CSS editor like CSSEdit (http://www.macrabbit.com/cssedit/). All my friends say my RW sites look very professional yet I didn't put too much effort into them.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
May 17, 2006, 10:03 PM

Sandvox > Rapidweaver

If you deny this, you hate children. You don't *hate* children, do you?

JKT
Professional Poster
May 18, 2006, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mallrat
I'll have to try harder with Rapidweaver, but I feel that all their pages look the same... nice, but similar, not much difference between them.

So maybe I'll see how far I can push iWeb. Any plugins that you recommend? I found a few on Version Tracker.
There are many third party themes developers. Visit the realmacsoftware forums or use the Help menu Download more themes to check them out.

Horsepoo - I gave up on Sandvox because of the stunt they pulled with the Smart Crash Reporter. I haven't really tried it but where it is lacking relative to RW is theme support from third parties.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
May 18, 2006, 04:05 AM

Real men use TextWrangler!

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2006, 05:13 AM

I've used Nvu, which isn't bad, and the price is right. Freeway Express is often recommended, though I haven't tried it myself. There's a free demo.

Oh, and yes, you can use iWeb to publish to non-.mac servers.

I think Sandvox is now out of beta.

loren s
Senior User
Jun 2, 2006, 11:57 PM

yawn to all... use whatever but your still just useing templates.... No one gets that people want to "make" their own web site.. They think all we need is to use and edit templates.... WACKED.

I swear companies/coders dont get it ..

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Jun 3, 2006, 05:27 AM

If you've already bought iWeb, just stay with iWeb and use

iWeb Enhancer

to include your own HTML for Paypal buttons. Works great.

Personally, I think iWeb is a lot more customizable than RapidWeaver or Sandvox. In iWeb, you can customize the layout completely. You can put anything anywhere on your site. In RapidWeaver and Sandvox - while they certainly have many advantages over iWeb, too - you are restricted by the template.

silkk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2006, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tsilou B.
Personally, I think iWeb is a lot more customizable than RapidWeaver or Sandvox. In iWeb, you can customize the layout completely. You can put anything anywhere on your site. In RapidWeaver and Sandvox - while they certainly have many advantages over iWeb, too - you are restricted by the template.
Most third party themes have thousands (some in excess of 500,000) different variations, from changing backgrounds, page color, headers, fonts, position of various elements, etc... all within a single theme. This is in addition to the fact that RW lets you edit your content, images, movies in most imaginable ways. Then add a couple of third party plugin pages from loghound or yourhead, and you have got an extremely powerful web app.
I tend to keep my nose stuck to iWeb, RapidWeaver and Sandvox (for obvious development opportunities) and hands down, RapidWeaver is still the one that does it right.

Potatohead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2006, 05:50 PM

I use dreamweaver and it works well, it is relatively simple. And it uses HTML.

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2006, 07:02 PM

wait till iweb two comes out.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2006, 02:50 PM

RW is great,

RW is not for someone who already knows how to code in textwrangler.

If you know how to do this or have the time to learn how to do this RW isn't the right option.
But for most people RW is awsome.

RW is a great place to start a web page then maybe, slowly learn CSS and make your own template.

real
( Last edited by real; Jul 19, 2006 at 06:09 PM. )
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
deinterlaced.com

minimanshane
Jul 18, 2006, 10:01 AM

Hey ienhancer is only for 1.4 and abve im on 1.3.9 anything i can do?

real
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
Sandvox > Rapidweaver

If you deny this, you hate children. You don't *hate* children, do you?

"I guess I hate Children"

don't tell my wife to be or my mother in law.
deinterlaced.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules