Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Dvorak layout behaving like Dvorak-Qwerty

Dvorak layout behaving like Dvorak-Qwerty
XTTX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2008, 02:33 PM

I recently switched over to using dvorak a few months ago, and I don't recall having this problem before. But today while I was editing a file in Aptana Studio and also Microsoft Word, I noticed that I could not copy and paste using the Command-C and Command-V shortcuts (in a dvorak layout). What's weird is that the copy seems to work (it copies to the clipboard), but I also get the infamous beep that occurs when there's an incorrect keypress, but if I continue with a Command-V (using the QWERTY position) it will paste what I copied. I believe that this may be an individual software issue because I can use my commands fine in Safari, for example. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm pretty sure that I've been able to use those commands before though. Unless I've never had to copy and paste for months XD.
MBP | 2.6GHz | 2GB RAM (soon to be 4) | 250GB 5400 rpm HDD | 17" Hi-Res Glossy Display

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2008, 01:02 AM

Just wondering.. do you have Use one input source in all documents under the Input source options on International?

XTTX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2008, 08:28 PM

I don't even have that option visible in my system preferences. I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.6 btw.

I have tried typing it into to search bar in System Preferences and clicking on Use one input source in all documents.
MBP | 2.6GHz | 2GB RAM (soon to be 4) | 250GB 5400 rpm HDD | 17" Hi-Res Glossy Display

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2008, 09:06 PM

Sorry, I can't help you then :S

XTTX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2008, 09:06 PM

Well thanks for trying .

I'm guessing that it's just a software incompatibility issue, but why would a program rely on physical mapping rather than the input from the OS? Anyone else have experience with this issue or have any insights?

johncarync
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2008, 02:02 PM

This is an issue with the 10.5.6 upgrade and some Carbon-based apps. The list of applications includes: anything by Microsoft, Eclipse, World of Warcraft, Maya, Fireworks, Flash, and surely some others. Apple has been made aware of it but has not responded with any indication of whether they are working on it or when a fix will come out.

Solutions that do NOT appear to work: manually remapping keys and messing with Microsoft preference files (even if Microsoft's tech support directs you to do so). The only "solutions" that have been offered is to downgrade to 10.5.5 or to switch to the Dvorak - Qwerty [command key] keyboard layout (under System Preferences>International>Input Menu). When that keyboard layout is selected, your keyboard will type Dvorak keys until the command key is pressed. When the command key is pressed, it sends Qwerty letters. It means going back to the Qwerty key commands but at least the responses are predictable.

Congratulations on switching to Dvorak! It has increased my typing speed by 20 words per minute AND it has reduced my finger strain.
( Last edited by johncarync; Dec 30, 2008 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Congrats!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules