Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Burning Mac CD's

Burning Mac CD's
offdahook84
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2004, 10:22 PM

Hey people, I just bought a G4 PB 17", 128 vid, 5400, 1 gig. I don't have it in hand yet, it needs to get from Memphis, TN to Cali. Estimated delievery is 24th. I've been been beatin' my head against the wall and drooling constantly in anticipation. I already bought a Tom Bihn case, icurve, screen protectors, and I've been licking my Protection Plan box repeatidly.
I'm ready to chuck my PeeCee out my window when I see a semi. But, I need my data first. I want to burn some CD's. Can I just burn them on my PeeCee and plop them in my PB without any Mac format and get the data? I also download some Mac software I want to put on CD's. I couldn't find any free software to create hybrid CD's. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2004, 11:07 PM

You should be fine just burning a regular CD on your PC. They only thing we have problems with is file formats that are incompatible.

As for the Mac burning CDs- it will do it automatically with e built-in burning software, but I prefer Roxio Toast for more flexibility. Not frre- but worth the cash since we burn so many CDs.

offdahook84  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2004, 11:38 PM

Alright, Thanks. What is the advantage of creating the CD as an HFS ISO?
( Last edited by offdahook84; Nov 22, 2004 at 12:17 PM. )

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 24, 2004, 02:00 AM

HFS is the Mac filesystem, which will preserve rich metadata such as icon and window positions, and allow complex Mac files (such as old applications) to be copied without workarounds.

ISO 9660 standard discs don't actually allow any flexibility with file names (though extensions to ISO 9660, such as Joliet, fix these limitations). Pretty much any computer with a CD drive can read an ISO 9660 disc, so they're good for compatibility. Macs read them with no problem.

A hybrid disc provides the best of both worlds, being totally compatible, while retaining all the rich metadata of the Mac.

By the way, if by "an ISO" you mean a disc image file, let it be known that a disc image file need not be of an ISO 9660 disc. It can be of an ISO 9660 disc, an HFS disc, a UDF disk, or a hybrid disc combining ISO 9660 and one of the others. The correct name is a "disc image" file.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules