Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > CovidTV: What to binge, stream, and dust off DVD

CovidTV: What to binge, stream, and dust off DVD
andi*pandi
Apr 27, 2020, 11:41 AM

Disney+: Mandalorian. All the disney movies your kids could ever want. Marvel Universe.

Netflix: Community, including the last seasons. (We are finishing season 1, a rewatch for me.) Series of Unfortunate Events. Lost in Space. The Good Place.

Amazon: Good Omens, Mrs. Maisel. Some star trek is here.

CBS: Picard, naturally (see other thread for discussion). All other star trek.

HBO: His Dark Materials, watched free first ep and it looks great. Will pay for HBO even, maybe when I pause Disney.

Hulu?

Live TV: Brooklyn 99. Stumptown.

What else?
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Apr 28, 2020 at 12:19 PM. )

Thorzdad
Apr 27, 2020, 12:17 PM

We just have Netflix and Prime. (Well, we also have our daughter's login for Disney+, but I can't get it to stream to my TV through our AppleTV) Our biggest problem is just finding anything that sounds like something we would like to watch. I feel like we spend more time browsing around than actually watching anything. Anyway...

We recently binged Fleabag (yeah, we're way late on a lot of stuff) and really liked it. That's on Prime in the US.
We liked The End of the F***ing World and I Am Not Okay With This, which are both live-action adaptations of Charles Forsman comics. Both are on Netflix.

We recently watched La Mante, a French murder/thriller miniseries on Netflix. We basically liked it, though it was a little predictable at times. It also hinged on a very overused bigoted trope regarding who the killer ultimately was, which was kind of disappointing.

We'll also watch almost any female comedian's standup special.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 27, 2020, 01:59 PM

We had been rewatching The Office, but for some reason switched over to rewatching New Girl.

I think that given today's climate, we're going for lighthearted and ultimately harmless.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2020, 02:29 PM

Tried Disney. Gave up. Mandelorian did not engage at all.

On the positive:
Killing Eve and Devs on BBC player
Picard is rather wonderful on Prime
Prime also have 14 (yes that's 14) seasons of Supernatural to wade through. Mindless, surprisingly entertaining fun.
Netflix: 100 humans is harmlessly amusing.
Prime: Messiah. Fantastic, The Looming Towers, riveting,
Brooklyn 99 as ever
The Good Place, reliable and rewatchable

Mrs Maisel gets my vote as well. Seasons 2 and 3 don't quite hit the highs that season 1 does but still excellent.

Oh. My. God. Prime has Futurama now. That's my Covid-19 isolation sorted. On loop.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2020, 05:16 PM

I enjoyed Mrs Maisel as well. Supernatural has a 15th season.

Community is an absolute masterpiece. Especially the first few seasons. If you enjoy it, you should try Rick and Morty which is also genuinely top notch television.

Devs had one of the best first episodes I've seen in ages. I wasn't overly thrilled where it went after that but most of the elements were very good.

I rewatched Angel last week. Pondering doing Buffy as well.

There should be a few things due quite soon (without looking any up). Lucifer season 5 (This show is good fun). Is Handmaid due another one soon? First two were April-ish IIRC. Final season Agents of SHIELD, I know R&M are back Sunday night. ST: Discovery must be due too.

I've said it before, but if anyone hasn't seen it, Boston Legal is an absolute gem. Probably my all time favourite.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

reader50
Administrator
Apr 27, 2020, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
There should be a few things due quite soon (without looking any up). Lucifer season 5 (This show is good fun).
Luci S5 release might be delayed. They've been trying to set up a Season 6, and had nearly all the pieces in place when COVID-19 put everything on the back burner.

Anyway, S5 was probably designed to be the final season. If S6 goes ahead, at least half of S5 might have to be reworked, with episodes and/or storylines moved around. My feeling is Netflix will either sit on S5 until the S6 question is resolved, or only release the first half of the season.

andi*pandi  (op)
Apr 27, 2020, 09:10 PM

Season 6 of Lucifer? yes please. Last I heard was season 5 was getting 16 episodes, and was planned to be released in 2 chunks. I'll take what they show us.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Apr 27, 2020 at 09:20 PM. )

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2020, 11:47 PM

I haven’t had the desire to rewatch anything but I am definitely trying to get to some shows that have been on my list for quite some time. As has been talked about in another thread, The Expanse is high on my list. Recently I also finished up Series of Unfortunate Events and Lost in Space on Netflix. I am definitely over any kind of cop/doctor show so I’m looking past anything remotely close to those.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2020, 12:00 AM

Yes Luci S5 is being released in two halves so I can see they might need to alter the second half if they can persuade everyone to stick around for season 6 or more. Its odd because normally everyone on a show is signed up for 7 seasons at the start as I understand things. Maybe they had already agreed to end those contracts though. I know the rethink was after it became Netflix' biggest show of the year.
I loved his cameo in

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi  (op)
Apr 28, 2020, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
rewatching New Girl.
The guy from New Girl is in Stumptown with Cobie Smulders. It's not light and fluffy (war vet ptsd) but is also got some fun dialogue and side characters.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 28, 2020, 04:53 PM

A group of friends did a Netflix Party (Chrome extension) to watch National Treasure. It was fun, I got to make snarky comments without getting punched in the arm for ruining the movie.

We're doing it again on Thursday with Space Jam, as Thursday is the last day Space Jam will be on Netflix.

That means I have the miss the Parks and Rec reunion which is also on Thursday, so I'll have to find some place to watch that later.

andi*pandi  (op)
Apr 29, 2020, 07:45 AM

Watched Austin Powers last night on netflix. I kept saying we should watch a Bond first (amazon prime) so the jokes would be funnier, but no one wanted to. Lots of giggles and also awkward cringes for all the sexual innuendo amid a mixed group.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2020, 10:29 AM

I have started watching Westworld.
I like it, but it's not for the faint hearted. Great acting, and fascinating premise and story.

But it's pretty gory, and sometimes disturbing.
Probably not good for a fun family night, Andi :-)

-t

Thorzdad
Apr 29, 2020, 10:55 AM

The Netflix series Dead to Me, starring Christina Applegate is a fun little show. The similarly-titled, but entirely different 2003-04 series Dead Like Me is also a fun binge (at least the first season, anyway). I think it's on Netflix, too.

andi*pandi  (op)
Apr 29, 2020, 11:25 AM

Loved Dead Like Me, couldn't get into Dead to Me. I wanted to like Westworld, tried a few years ago, but ultimately it wasn't the gore etc it was just unrelentingly dour, IIRC?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2020, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Loved Dead Like Me, couldn't get into Dead to Me. I wanted to like Westworld, tried a few years ago, but ultimately it wasn't the gore etc it was just unrelentingly dour, IIRC?
It's HBO, so you know there has to be extraneous violence and nudity.

But yes, the whole thing is dark and gloomy. I watched the first season but couldn't get into the second for some reason.

Thorzdad
May 2, 2020, 08:11 AM

Anyone catch the Parks and Rec reunion show Thursday night? I thought they did a great job working with the constraint of the quarantine and video meetings.
Here's the YT link to the entire special, in case you missed it.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 2, 2020, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Loved Dead Like Me, couldn't get into Dead to Me.
Dead LIKE Me is a gem of a series. The later film is less good but it had some real heft dealing with grief in both directions and had some simply superb episodes and a lot to say about moving on from a death in the family. Also a rare show built around a not entirely likeable lead (George) who everyone ends up hoping for anyway.

andi*pandi  (op)
May 2, 2020, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the parks and rec link, my dvr did not record as expected.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2020, 01:48 PM

My recommendations:

Netflix: The Witcher, Community (all 6 seasons)
Amazon Prime: The Boys
Disney+: Clone Wars, The Imagineering Story

DC Universe: Harley Quinn, Swamp Thing, Batman the Animated Series (1990's) - The Harley Quinn Show is surpisingly good. You can easily bin watch it during the free trial.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2020, 09:29 PM

I'm watching Ozark which is good so far.

I'm hearing the show runners and the whole cast are signed on for Lucifer Season 6 but Tom Ellis has been negotiating a pay rise and things there are at a standstill for now.

reader50
Administrator
May 4, 2020, 12:20 AM

If it's a raise for the whole cast, good for him. If it's just good for him, then that's less good.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2020, 04:16 AM

The rumours are that the casts existing contracts already covered season 6 but they decided to negotiate a raise for Ellis to keep him happy (and possibly cover a season 7 or more). So he is already obligated to do 6 but is trying to hold out for more than they are willing to give him anyway. Which seems odd. I can only assume he has other offers on the table.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 7, 2020, 02:53 PM

Amazon Prime: Upload
It got me despite it being so obviously the result of a network exec saying"But WE need a show set in a sort of afterlife that asks some deeper questions but is kind of funny and bright and cheerful"
Also the main actor looks like Tom Cruise's 2nd stand in but still... its actually managed to manufacture some charm of its own.

Actually I was kind of going to bail until William B Davis appeared at the end of Ep 2 and entirely stole the show with one scene.

Thorzdad
May 7, 2020, 05:01 PM

We binged Upload over the weekend. Pretty entertaining concept. Definitely looking forward to a second series. Just don’t think too hard about it, or you’ll find yourself doing a lot of WTFs at the screen.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 17, 2020, 03:11 PM

Midway through Lucifer S4 and getting quite back into it. It's of course very silly but at least it knows this.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2020, 03:25 PM

I’m watching Defending Jacob on Apple TV+ right now. Good show!

OAW

Forum Links
Forum Rules