Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Rumor: iOS 8 versions of Preview and TextEdit, new iCloud dev tools

Rumor: iOS 8 versions of Preview and TextEdit, new iCloud dev tools
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 13, 2014, 10:40 AM

[Updated with alleged icons] If the ports are finished in time, iOS 8 may include versions of OS X's Preview and TextEdit apps, according to claims by questionable sources say. Unlike their Mac counterparts, the iOS apps reportedly won't be able to actually edit images, PDFs, or text documents. They are, however expected to support viewing OS X documents stored in iCloud; for management and editing, people will be directed toward existing apps like iBooks and Pages, says the rumor.

The new apps are believed to be possible through corporate restructuring done by Apple's head of Software Engineering, Craig Federighi. Teams are no longer constrained by platform, and so can be asked to develop apps and features for iOS and OS X simultaneously. Under Apple's earlier organization, an iOS team might have simply attempted to duplicate Preview and TextEdit in their own way.

The company is also said to be investigating new iCloud storage tools that could make it easier to develop server-integrated iOS apps. Developers have often complained that iCloud integration can be unwieldy; it's unclear though if the tools will actually launch, since Apple engineers have proposed them unsuccessfully in the past.

Update: An alleged early iOS 8 screenshot shows icons for Preview and TextEdit, as well as Healthbook, a rumored forthcoming health- and fitness-related app. The authenticity of the rumors and images haven't been verified.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Mar 13, 2014 at 07:08 PM. )

Ham Sandwich
Mar 13, 2014, 10:46 AM

Awesome, maybe Apple should worry about fixing all the trillions of bugs already in Preview and Textedit before they port the code to iOS!

sibeale1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2014, 02:42 PM

To And.reg: Would you please identify a few of those "trillions" of bugs?

Ham Sandwich
Mar 13, 2014, 03:29 PM

What the hell is Healthlook...?!

Originally Posted by sibeale1 View Post
To And.reg: Would you please identify a few of those "trillions" of bugs?
[1] On RTF (with images) documents where the 1 inch margins are shown literally, if I start moving text/images around, sometimes, the last line of text at the end of the document will repeat itself numerous times in the display window, but you can't select it to remove it, but if you close and re-open the document, it's gone.

[2] Also, on this same window, sometimes, if I type Command-F, nothing happens. A find dialogue is supposed to come up. I am trying to reproduce this.

[3] There is no way to adjust page margins.

[4] The palette to add a table breaks easily. Open a new rich text document. Wrap the document to page (Format > Wrap to Page). Start typing. Save the document. Then go to Format > Table... and start messing around with the options.
Eventually the palette will break and will tell you 0 rows and 0 columns, and you won't be able to edit it without closing and re-opening the palette.

[5] Preview: The most annoying one is when you scroll past the end of the document, and there is a gray space that just hangs there. This never happened in 10.8. scrolling past the top or bottom of the first/last page will get stuck with a dark gray space for a second, then recoil. It's not an instantaneous rebound. This happens maybe 15% of the time.

[6] Editing photos is now a nightmare in Preview because it's soooooo sloooooowwww....literally it takes 8x longer to edit the exposure, contrast, sharpness of my photos.

[7] In editing a photo: When you start changing the gray levels, sometimes the entire photo changes scale arbitrarily.

[8] Sometimes I will be scrolling and the text will get blurry and stay blurry and I can't two-finger scroll until I try all sorts of clicking madness and then it'll work normally.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2014, 05:19 PM

And.reg: "bugs" 1, 5, 6, 7, and 8 are flaws/inadequacies with your graphics card, not bugs in the programs mentioned (I've seen similar issues when trying to run recent versions of iPhoto or Word on old hardware with early Intel chipsets -- I tested these claims on a 2009 MBP running Mavericks and could not reproduce them, but I've seen similar issues on a 2007 MacBook before).

"Bug" 3 isn't a bug at all, but a deliberate design decision of the program -- it's intended to be basic. I can't comment on "bugs" 2 and 4, as I haven't tried them, but basically it sounds like you're running old hardware with a graphics card that can't keep up.

So, two conclusions: a) these problems seem limited to you (and perhaps others with weak graphics or old hardware), consequently not meeting the definition of "bug" -- and b) Six non-bugs and two possible bugs ≠ "trillions."
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Ham Sandwich
Mar 13, 2014, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
And.reg: "bugs" 1, 5, 6, 7, and 8 are flaws/inadequacies with your graphics card, not bugs in the programs mentioned (I've seen similar issues when trying to run recent versions of iPhoto or Word on old hardware with early Intel chipsets -- I tested these claims on a 2009 MBP running Mavericks and could not reproduce them, but I've seen similar issues on a 2007 MacBook before).
Well part of this response is reassuring (because now I know I didn't corrupt anything in my computer to cause that behavior, and that doing a full erase-and-reinstall of 10.9 won't solve the problems)...

...however, I think that this is unacceptable, because (i) my Macbook Air is a model 2012, which is most assuredly recent enough to not already be so out of date that Apple refuses to support the graphics card, and (ii) I think that this should classify as a bug, because these are runtime errors and Apple has not fixed them, and I think that Apple should fix these issues.

jpellino
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2014, 08:01 PM

A currently supported graphics card that can't keep up with TextEdit that's been around since 10.what? Call me skeptical.

Another vote that Preview in Mavericks is a big step back. It used to be a simple, fast tool for processing batches of photos from a 14MP camera to something optimized for web or brochure work, that now takes a looong time.

It would also be nice if you didn't have to re-output Preview-annotated PDFs for the rest of the world to see the annotations intact.

Backing up a step, not sure how these are huge priorities for Apple. It's not like we can't edit text or see photos on an iOS device out of the box.
Just sayin'

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2014, 10:37 AM

Who's insinuating they're "huge" priorities?

Forum Links
Forum Rules