Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Warranty Replacement, upgrading to 12" PB!

Warranty Replacement, upgrading to 12" PB!
Sosa
Senior User
Sep 26, 2003, 08:46 PM

Well, after one year as a proud iBook owner I may soon be leaving this forum. Why? I have had too many problems with my iBook. Apple has graciously agreed to replace it with a brand new 900mhz 12" but I declined, opting instead for an upgrade to the 12" PB! Only $300! Is that a deal or what?!

Well I'm going to wait until Panther is announced to make the deal, guaranteeing me a $20 Panther also!

I just hope I don't regret this when the IBM 750GX comes out in a couple of months.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2003, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by Sosa:
Well, after one year as a proud iBook owner I may soon be leaving this forum. Why? I have had too many problems with my iBook. Apple has graciously agreed to replace it with a brand new 900mhz 12" but I declined, opting instead for an upgrade to the 12" PB! Only $300! Is that a deal or what?!
DUUUUUUUUUUDE...

Please, tell... How did you get them to do that?!!

I've been asking about this, having nagging problems myself, and you've been the first person on the forums i've seen who had this happen.

DUDE!!!!
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

yg17
Sep 27, 2003, 03:02 PM

Now I want my iBook to have a bunch of problems

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2003, 01:15 AM

yo man, don't leave us in suspense!!
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2003, 09:28 AM

lol he's got skills only one other dude I know has.. dayum.
Aloha

Sosa  (op)
Senior User
Sep 30, 2003, 11:20 AM

Well it wasn't easy, I'll tell you. I was encouraged by another poster who also had his iBook replaced. Basically after my last repairs (no. 5), I called to report new additional problems. My iBook was already outside of the regular warranty, but it now had an additional 90 day warranty repair ;-).

The new problems involved a damaged RAM module from Crucial, damaged headphone jack, kernel panic caused when restarting after modem refused to disconnect, and computer freezing / screen not turning on after waking from sleep. As you can see, there was a lot going on!

1. RAM: Apple will not warranty 3d party RAM, even though it seemed clear it was damaged during repairs. Unless there was physical damage to the unit it would not be replaced. I was advised to remove 3d party RAM from any future repair orders!

Anyway, the RAM magically repaired itself! After removing it and replacing it twice, then realizing that damaged RAM was better than no RAM, it has not malfunctioned again. Strange.

2. Headphone jack: still malfunctioning. Plugging in the headphone causes the music to skip, nothing comes out.

3. Modem disconnect, kernel panic, and failure to wake from sleep has not occurred sinced undating to 10.2.8! Or was that after reinstalling the OS?

Oh, back to how I did it. So I called Apple tech support, as I did not want to deal again with the Apple Store geniuses who are not as friendly and would probably just want to try to repair it again. For a period of 2-3 weeks I called several times. Each time different suggestions were made, from removing the RAM to reinstalling the OS. I faithfully carried out their instructions, only to have all of the above problems continue. My issue was escalated. I kept requesting that Apple replace my computer with a similar model, as I did not have any confidence in their ability to fix this one and believe I had suffered enough. Most of the tech guys were sympathetic.

Finally last week they could not make any other suggestions and I was approved for a brand new 900mhz iBook! I try to act like I did not know exactly what was happening, "Oh I'm getting a 900mhz with a 40 gig HD? Well I just want to make sure I can burn CDs...."

Then they told me I would have to ship my iBook to them and wait two weeks for a replacement. I refused, and called the local Apple Store. The manager was surprisingly friendly and agreed to have me come buy the next day and grab one in their inventory (is it because they are anxious to get rid of an end of life product?). By this time it had already hit me that if I played this right I could also save myself $129 for Panther. So I explained that I could only visit the store on the weekends, he said it would have to be on Saturday, and I said sure. Of course I have no intention of showing up any Saturday until Panther is announced.

So I was happy, but not elated. The new iBooks have a cheaper styling I do not like. I discussed this with my brother (a PB fanatic), who suggested I ask to upgrade to the Powerbook. The thought had not occurred to me, as powerbooks, like G5s and BMWs, have been locked in a part of my brain for "unaffordables." Well I called Apple the next day and spoke to a friendly female agent who approved the upgrade without any fuss. (My reasoning, "I have lost confidence in Apple's iBook laptops, seems they are of low quality"). The cost to me was $300. I tried to get her to sell me the PB at edu pricing, which would have saved me $50, but no luck!

Again though I would have to wait 2 weeks for my PB to get to me, and I would have to ship my iBook to them in the meantime. Of course I refused, telling them I needed my iBook for school. A few phone calls to the Apple store may have resolved the problem: although they do not currently have any 12" PB available, I have been promised a call as soon as they arrived! In fact, that would be Wed or Thurs!

Well not so fast though, Panther has not been announced yet! Let's see, I'm moving this Saturday, next Saturday my wife is sick, next Saturday my car broke down, ....
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

dragonbong
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2003, 04:42 PM

So sneaky. But warranted after all the crap you had to deal with.

natan
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2003, 04:53 PM

Sosa, you've influenced me to try doing the same.

I also have an iBook/700, purchased in July 2002, and since then I've had the following 5 AppleCare replacements:

1) Logic Board / Hard Drive
2) Keyboard
3) Battery
4) AC Adaptor
5) Logic Board

And now my screen has started to flicker a lot when opening/closing the iBook at certain angles, so I'll need to send it in for my 6th repair.

I'm also a student and need to depend on my machine to get my work done, and in the past year and a half I've been without it for 3 weeks total due to repairs.

So, in the next few days I'm going to try to request a replacement as well.

Thanks for your story, hopefully mine will follow the same path.

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 11:50 PM

Think this will take?

3 CD-RW repairs... my latest repair was a complete harddrive+logic board+top of bottom case repair.

And currently , my CD-RW is popping open when I touch the drive door (similiar to my 2nd repair)

I also highly doubt they keep the old 8x CD-RWs around. THey probably have to special order it every time I send it in for repair.

In a few months, I'm gonna venture on this ordeal. You have inspired me!!
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi

Sosa  (op)
Senior User
Sep 30, 2003, 11:59 PM

Thnanks guys. Just be professional and polite. Insist that you have a lemon product, that you have lost valueable time dealing with these issues, that you have given Apple plenty of opportunities to correct them and that they have failed to do so. You have no confidence they will be able to correct these problems and the only solution is for them to send you a refurbished machine. (Trick request, Apple doesn't do this! But it makes you look reasonable). Be willing to try anything they tell you, such as removing RAM or reinstalling. You want to appear reasonable, not like someone who is trying to rip Apple off. (Which if course you are not, if like me you have lost over a month of iBook use in a year due to hardware issues! )
Join Team MacNN.

natan
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2003, 06:23 PM

No luck, next week I'll be sending my iBook in for the fourth time in 11 months to AppleCare, and it will be the 6th AppleCare case I've dealt with.

The technician I spoke with said they only replace machines with new units if after the multiple repairs of the same problem it continues to malfunction in the previous way. So vvedge, you may have luck.

With me, the current issues I'm having are new and not related to previous repairs. Oh well, here's to the fourth time shipping my iBook in.

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2003, 12:24 PM

New G4 iBook!

That means I'm going for it. I'm almost ready to start a dialouge with Apple support about getting this upgrade to happen.

(read up for more about my case) But in short. 3 CD-RW replacements in 2 years. Soon to be 4 if I dont get a "more permanent solution" as I would call it.

With Applecare running out in a little more than a year, I'll make the case that if I get it repaired now, I have no assurace it will be fixed for good. I have no reason to beleve that seeing as everytime its been sent in, its came back... worked for a while, and only managed to break. And if it breaks after my Applecare expires, I'm stuck with a broken CD-RW which should have been fixed 2 years ago.

And if it buys me any sympathy, I'll bring up how my repairs have all been necessary during the school year (Jan '01, Sept. '02, Feb '03)

Lemme know if you think this is a good way to go about it. I'm definitely aiming at at least one of the new 12 inch G4s.
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 22, 2003, 04:01 PM

You're going to try and get your 2 year old iBook replaced for free with a brand new 12" iBook G4? I doubt that will happen. If you're lucky, you'll get one of their overstock on the just discontinued models. And that's if you're lucky.

I understand you're upset, but asking for a brand new replacement that is a massive upgrade from your existing computer is asking too much, IMO.

However, it doesn't hurt to try. Worst case, they turn you down. Best case, you have a brand new computer.

Sosa  (op)
Senior User
Oct 23, 2003, 01:11 AM

Well vvedge, you certanly have a lot of repairs in your favor. I "only" had 5. It was costing Apple a few hundred dollars for each repair (according the repair sheets). I don't see why you should not get your iBook replaced. Don't mention anything about the new iBooks, they may think you are trying to pull a fast one. Just say you are tired of these repairs, you think you have a lemon, and you would like Apple to replace it.

If they agree though you might be stuck with a 800 mhz G3 iBook, Apple still has a few left over they are discounting. If however your 500mhz was the combo drive, then you will get a G4 iBook. It seems that Apple does not give refurbished units when doing warranty exchanges. This is a policy which surprised me. I've worked with numerous companies, such as Sprint and Sears, that would give you only a refurbished unit. Apple instead sells these units at a discount on their site. In fact, I just ordered a refurbished Airport Extreme card for $59 there ($79-$20 coupon for Mac renewal).

It is for little things like this that I am attached to Apple.

BTW I still have not exchanged the iBook for the PB. I gotten two calls from Apple asking me when I was going down to the Store to do so. Unfortunately after Panther was announced I no longer had the $300 for the upgrade! The good news is that I should have the money this Friday. I'll be attending the Panther release event and upgrading on the same day! Quite exciting.

On another note, it seems that the Nvidia Go5200 video card on the 12"PB may be inferior to the ATI 9200 on the iBooks. After today's announcement I'm considering scrapping my upgrade, getting the new iBook, and using the $300 towards a new eMac!
Join Team MacNN.

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2003, 02:37 AM

Well vvedge, you certanly have a lot of repairs in your favor. I "only" had 5. It was costing Apple a few hundred dollars for each repair (according the repair sheets). I don't see why you should not get your iBook replaced. Don't mention anything about the new iBooks, they may think you are trying to pull a fast one. Just say you are tired of these repairs, you think you have a lemon, and you would like Apple to replace it.
Well, 3 related repairs... 1 major repair unrelated. Any repair covered under applecare obiously costs them money in labor and parts, and thats why applecare is $150+.

Of course, I'm thinking this through and if it doesnt happen, I'm not going to be that let down. I love my ibook, but this is a chance that might reap some benifit. Yes, this does seem like trying to pull a fast one, but don't tell me you all wouldn't contmplate the same

I still dont think its right though, having to send my iBook in 3+ times for a repair that should have been fixed right the first time.... or second time.

I joke, but with so many problems with a tray load CD-RW.... wouldn't a slot load just solve it all?

(ironic smiley)
( Last edited by vvedge; Oct 23, 2003 at 02:45 AM. )
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2003, 03:09 AM

Fran441 at AppleInsider had his Pismo replaced with a brand-new PowerBook early this year after many repairs and other bullshit. They weren't just taking his machine in for repairs every month - they were giving him the runaround for lots of problems, forcing him to send in his entire PowerBook to replace the DVD-ROM module, etc. Finally, maybe a month before his AppleCare ran out, they gave him a full replacement - an 867 MHz PowerBook G4.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Sosa  (op)
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 12:23 PM

In case anyone cares, here are pics of my new Powerbook!!!!

http://homepage.mac.com/msosa2/PhotoAlbum24.html

Oh yeah, I also have pics of Panther Release night from The Falls, Miami Apple store. Check them out.

By the way, the PB is feels lighter, and more solid that my old iBook. It is also much faster. Good luck to all iBook users. I feel like I just joined an elite club!
Join Team MacNN.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 12:43 PM

Sosa: VERY NICE. Congrats. Man, I want what you have! What were the specs on the old iBook and how does the 12" PB compare?

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2003, 10:51 AM

After seeing the new iBook, I'm not that enthused about the whole thing anymore. Looks like I rather get it on my own someday...some far off day.

As for my repair situation, in my last year of warranty coverage, I want my iBook fixed, for good. Otherwise, my warranty will run out with this repair still lingering. I want a permanent fix. That's all I'm looking for.

Sosa, how much did they let you customize it? or did they have to give you an off the shelf model?
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi

Sosa  (op)
Senior User
Oct 30, 2003, 11:45 AM

I got an off the shelf model. Still, this model was significantly better than my iBook, as in double the standard RAM, double the HD, and probably double the processing power. Also the screen seems of higher quality, and certanly the keyboard and overall construction.

Hey vvedge, I think you should be able to get yourself a replacement. You've had too many repairs already.
Join Team MacNN.

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2004, 02:57 AM

Well everyone, I had to send my machine for the 4th time for the same problem. I didn't ask for a new machine, but I did hint at the horrendous repair history in earlier posts.

So I get my iBook back yesterday... it's in HORRIBLE shape. They replaced the CD-RW drive, which they've done 3 times before. This time the drive was not even flush to the side of the machine. The side closer to the battery is in a whole lot. And the problem (the drive opening when the tray is pushed), is STILL THERE. Bet they pushed it a few times to make sure, but I still get it happening. More often than before.

The most GLARING sign of their repair ineptitude has to be the hex nut on the bottom of my machine being not completely screwed in. It's at least a millimeter sticking out, and I can definitely feel it when I pass my hand under the machine.

I'm calling apple tommorow right away and telling them what a horrible 4 (yes, 4!!) repairs I've had to endure through. All over a problem that should have been fixed the first time.

I dunno whats going to happen, but I'm definitely pressing for a new machine to be a permanent solution (no tray = no problem).

(going to bed angry)
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2004, 10:50 PM

So I called apple again today, laid down my situation. And guess what they have the GALL to ask of me.... they want ANOTHER CHANCE.

After 2 years and 4 botched repairs, I'm supposed to trust Apple again?

I don't beleive what is happening here, they wont even give me any idea of what they'd do to my machine. They're saving the replacement option till after this repair. So the magic number is 5 now? Why do I have to sit through this again.

And even if they repair it this time... what if its like the other 4 times?... meaning the problem comes back in a few months. Worse, what if this happens when my applecare runs out in a year?

Meanwhile, school has started, I have to part with my iBook another week, and I have to sacrifice MY TIME and MY EFFORT for a CHANCE that they'll repair it right this time.

Overbearing smiley time....
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi

TSans
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2004, 12:50 PM

After consulting with some members of this board, I sent my iBook 700 in for another repair last week. The next day, I called Applecare and asked to speak with a supervisor. After some light questioning, I was connected with an AppleCare "Product Specialist." I took a couple of minutes to recount my AppleCare history. That history includes the replacement of two logic boards (now three), a hard drive and an AC adapter in the last nine months. I was also sure to tell him about all of the money I'd spent on related products over the last year and a half. He seemed sympathetic, but, in the end, he told me that I'd have to wait until the next issue to replace my iBook (probably because they were already in the middle of a repair). Actually, he told me to go through troubleshooting the next time, and if that didn't work, then I shouldn't even consider another repair. I got the computer back yesterday afternoon, and, so far, I'm happy with the repair (they even repaced the missing rubber foot). I'm confident that the issue will pop up again, so I'll wait another 3 months for my new iBook. Perhaps they'll have an updated iBook G4 by that point in time.

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2004, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by TSans:
. He seemed sympathetic, but, in the end, he told me that I'd have to wait until the next issue to replace my iBook (probably because they were already in the middle of a repair).
Pretty much my same experience yesterday. I think I've taken enough applecare repair myself, you certainly have. I don't understand their "give us one more chance" mentality. Do they only really really repair a machine if we complain?
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2004, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
I understand you're upset, but asking for a brand new replacement that is a massive upgrade from your existing computer is asking too much, IMO.

However, it doesn't hurt to try. Worst case, they turn you down. Best case, you have a brand new computer.
Today I just sent out my 500 mhz G3 ibook and will now start waiting for my 800 mhz G4 iBook...

Yea, I don't deserve this, but it's still good
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi

Sosa  (op)
Senior User
Feb 12, 2004, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by vvedge:
Today I just sent out my 500 mhz G3 ibook and will now start waiting for my 800 mhz G4 iBook...

Yea, I don't deserve this, but it's still good
Well hey, congratulations! But what do you mean you don't deserve it? Why don't you do what I did, ask for an upgrade to a Powerbook and pay the difference.
Join Team MacNN.

dcolton
Banned
Feb 16, 2004, 01:25 PM

Hey Sosa,

You proabably should look at the piece of paper they made you sign to get that powerbook! There is a non-disclosure agreement. Apple doesn't want everyone to know that if you complain enough and talk to the right people they will replace the faulty iBook with a powerbook.

Besides...you probably shouldn't brag too much...you paid an extra $300 to get a powerbook...if you played your cards right, you wouldn't be out an additional $300. Doesn;t make much sense to me to pay a company more money that sold you an inferior product.

Just my opiniom, enjoy your powerbook...I hope the apple lawyers don't come after you!

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2004, 03:06 PM

Well hey, congratulations! But what do you mean you don't deserve it? Why don't you do what I did, ask for an upgrade to a Powerbook and pay the difference.
It's great. Frankly I'm not impressed by the design of the new powerbooks, tell me you weren't at least kicking yourself slightly when the iBook G4 came out

1 week so far with my new machine, it's sweet. I did get them to give me a bluetooth module for free, all I did was ask
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2004, 06:26 PM

Nice job vvedge, too bad koobi is gone R.I.P. Hope everything works out with.....2oobi is it? Oh yeah and post a picture in the iBook picture thread, I dunno why but I'm a slut for lookin at other people's setups.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Sosa  (op)
Senior User
Mar 5, 2004, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by dcolton:
]Hey Sosa,
You proabably should look at the piece of paper they made you sign to get that powerbook! There is a non-disclosure agreement.
Interesting. I have no recollection of what those forms said, but I suspect you may be right!
Besides...you probably shouldn't brag too much...you paid an extra $300 to get a powerbook...if you played your cards right, you wouldn't be out an additional $300. Doesn;t make much sense to me to pay a company more money that sold you an inferior product.
Ok, you're nuts. Have you read my previous posts in this thread? My 1ghz 12" G4 PB is significantly superior to my 12" 700 mhz G3 iBook! In everyway, except perhaps battery life and heat generation. Also, thanks to this "purchase" I got Panther for $20.
And I was definitely not bragging out this. I do believe the deal was fair.
Just my opiniom, enjoy your powerbook...I hope the apple lawyers don't come after you!
Same here. I didn't kick myself when the iBook G4 came out. I still hadn't done the exchange then! I prefer the PB.
You guys need to reread the posts in this thread.
Join Team MacNN.

Forum Links
Forum Rules