Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Is anyone NOT having AEBS internet drop problems?

Is anyone NOT having AEBS internet drop problems?
wild eep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2003, 10:22 PM

If no problems, what are your settings?

there is a very long discussion at apple regarding this;

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

Many posts hint that the current firmware update is the problem and instruct to downgrade, but I didn't upgrade from my original 5.0.4/3.0.4 and I am having most of the problems described by other posters.

The problem seems to be getting worse.

AEBS, PB12"-867SD, Rogers Cable (DHCP).

conrad

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2003, 06:57 PM

There is a new hardware update for extreme base stations out today (9/26). I installed it this afternoon, and so far its worked without a drop out since.

But.. most of my dropouts have been in the evening so I'll keep you posted.

I have little hope that it will not drop out again though. I've had it since February and its been dropping off regularly since I purchased it, despite repeated firmware updates.

It does the same thing when I go to the B bandwidth or the G bandwidth.. I've tried everything and am very unhappy with the Airport Extreme.

Oh..I had an extreme card in my G4 tower initially to save on the wiring nest behind my desk, but have since put a ethernet cable direct from the G4 to the Extreme Base station. Since I did that I rarely drop off to my tower, but that defeats the purpose of even having the Airport station.

(I still use it with an ibook though).

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2003, 01:05 PM

so did it work
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Axel
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2003, 08:33 AM

any news ?

I'm considering installing the upgrade but first I would like some impressions...

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2003, 07:27 PM

OK..I have been running the update a few days.

No..it doesn't work any different than before... My AEBS continues to drop off for who knows what reason.

I have the Airport icon at the top of my screen on my laptop to show the amount of time connected however, service drops off..then comes back on, but the timer continues to show a continuous connected time despite having dropped my connection.
(it was doing this before the last firmware update though so its not something that just came with the latest update)

Has anyone else noticed that Apple has completely stopped advertising the Airport Extreme Base Stations? I would guess because they are such @#$!@##% crap.
( Last edited by NYCFarmboy; Oct 2, 2003 at 07:34 PM. )

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 12:32 PM

yes..no change. the Airport Extreme base station with the latest firmware update still drops off about 3 times a day. then comes back on by itself about 5 minutes later.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 02:03 PM

I too have had problems with AE. I am running the latest firmware, which is supposedly 5.1.3.

Sometimes, when logging back in to the desktop, it will ask me for my password, when Keychain already has it. Most of the time when it does this, it says I have the wrong password, which is not the case.

I do get random loss of signal altogether, wherein the Airport Admin Utility won't even recongnize a base station at all. That is cured by depowering the Base station for a few seconds, and turning it back on.

I have no cordless phones, but I do live in an apartment and maybe there is interference with other units or something.

I never had the old Airport base station so I cannot compare the reliability to that unit.

I don't know what is going on, but it really one of the only major annoyances right now with my Mac experience, other that Safari becoming intolerable.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2003, 09:36 PM

i had downgraded my firmware, but when i upgraded to 10.2.8, it did re-upgrade my admin utility to 3.1.1, but it's woring fine, so maybe its just the basestation firmware that needs to stay at 5.04
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 04:51 PM

Has anyone tried today's (10/31/03) new AE firmware/software to resolve this issue?

Zaffir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2003, 03:41 AM

Another oddity - my mom's iBook w/ airport extreme works fine, but my Aluminum Powerbook drops every couple minutes (although the time varies). I'll try upgrading the base station firmware torrow and see what happens.

Zaffir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2003, 03:54 PM

Another oddity - my mom's iBook w/ airport extreme works fine, but my Aluminum Powerbook drops every couple minutes (although the time varies). I'll try upgrading the base station firmware torrow and see what happens.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 02:06 PM

Update: Nov 24.

My airport extreme running the very latest firmware update, yet continues to have hickups on service.

I live in a large apartment complex in New York City and suspect there is a lot of bandwidth interferance from cordless phones...(my drop off problems usually occur in the evening from like 6-12p.m...so I suspect that anyhow).

However it is better..usually now just drops off and comes back in a minute on its own....but it still does drop off...at least once a night when I'm on my laptop.

pessoa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2003, 02:14 PM

I wonder if, in my case at least, the problem is with the airport extreme card and not the base station. I'm running an original clamshell iBook with an original airport card, and an iBook G4 with an extreme card, both with an extreme base station. The old clamshell is consistently about 200 kbps faster and has a more stable connection with greater range. I've checked the antenna connection on the G4 but haven't looked at which firmware I'm using.

dragonbong
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2003, 04:52 AM

I've posted my own topic about this before and yes my AEBS still drops now it does it during use. B/4 it never did it only lost it when inactive for a while. My old one never had this prob, i'm thinking of sending in to apple or throwing it at the reseller.

PS: Using Cable and Ti 867.

Forum Links
Forum Rules