Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I have a question im new to mac

I have a question im new to mac
PoisonedFate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 11:17 AM

Hello,
im not sure yet bout the mac world cause i always been a windows fan .
i am wondering if i can play world of warcraft smoothly on a 12" 1.5ghz 80Gb 512mb laptop. Do you think i can plz tell me this will determine me buying it for my powerbook.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2005, 11:23 AM

You'll be better off with more ram, World of Warcrack or not. If you can get 1GB, all the better.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

jokarak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 12:29 PM

It should run on a 512MB PB, although as the previous poster said, more memory is better. In any event, WOW comes w/ both windows and mac versions on the same disks (now, isn't that a great idea), so even if it doesn't run well on your PB (which it should), you can still run it on your windows machine, if it can handle it. Another cool thing is that you don't have to have the CD in the machine to run WOW, so you could install it on both the PB and your windows box (although, obviously, Blizzard won't let you be logged into the same account from two different machines simultaneously).

PoisonedFate  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by jokarak
It should run on a 512MB PB, although as the previous poster said, more memory is better. In any event, WOW comes w/ both windows and mac versions on the same disks (now, isn't that a great idea), so even if it doesn't run well on your PB (which it should), you can still run it on your windows machine, if it can handle it. Another cool thing is that you don't have to have the CD in the machine to run WOW, so you could install it on both the PB and your windows box (although, obviously, Blizzard won't let you be logged into the same account from two different machines simultaneously).
Ok so it should still run smooth and if i want to upgrade RAM my self can i?i left out the part where this is my 1st laptop.

jokarak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 03:07 PM

Although I haven't done it myself on the PB, installing memory in a computer/laptop is usually pretty straightforward.

To hear it from the source, check out http://www.info.apple.com/usen/cip/p...5fw800_mem.pdf

Skyhoper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 03:36 PM

I picked up my first laptop/Mac back in February and haven’t looked back since. WoW runs smoother on my 1.33Ghz Athlon t-bird PC with a Radeon 8500pro then my 15" PB 1.5Ghz with a the 64mb card but it's still very crisp looking and playable on my PowerBook. WoW did run considerably better when I upgraded my PowerBook ram to 1gig from 512mb. My recommendation would to be get the PB but upgrade your system to 1gig of ram from a 3rd party vendor.
1.5ghz Powerbook (the new one), 1gig ram

dragonbong
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2005, 04:14 PM

Running it on the exact model you posted, with another monitor of course. Runs alright and I would recommend the RAM upgrade as well. Iron Forge is just as laggy as it is on my PC but overall runs pretty smooth.

PoisonedFate  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by dragonbong
Running it on the exact model you posted, with another monitor of course. Runs alright and I would recommend the RAM upgrade as well. Iron Forge is just as laggy as it is on my PC but overall runs pretty smooth.
you have to have another monitor?

dragonbong
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2005, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by PoisonedFate
you have to have another monitor?
Well the resolution on the 12 isn't that great and well.. it's 12inches only lol. You don't have to have another monitor, but for me when i'm playing games at home I like to have a bigger screen.

PoisonedFate  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 06:23 PM

and the reason i ask for a monitor is because im pretty young and dont have that much money

PoisonedFate  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 06:25 PM

BUt is it nessesary is also what im asking. Is it terrible resolution?like unbareable Im odd i dont like big screens i like to have it portable and easy ill just lay down on the counch or sumthin and hack and slash away
( Last edited by PoisonedFate; Jun 23, 2005 at 06:30 PM. Reason: need to add more)

Forum Links
Forum Rules