Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro Help

Mac Pro Help
darkpilatus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2007, 03:28 PM

Hey everyone,
I have a question about the current Mac Pros and the possible upgrades, also the display moniters. Im a new graphic artist mainly working with software like Photoshop and Painter. I also do some gaming (battlefield 2) but not a lot. I had been looking at delving into a Mac Pro because frankly I want to throw my toshiba thru a window. I was looking at the Two 3.0GHz Dual-Core model with 2GB RAM, 250GB harddrive and the 2 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB card. I was also looking at getting Apples 23 inch display. Im not super smart when it comes to computers, software i can do just not the hardware. My questions are these
with the possibility of the quad core units coming out soon is it worth waiting for them or is the unit im looking at going to be ok. I want a computer that isnt going to be slow while working on these RAM hungry programs.
Also Ive read that the ATI Radeon 1900 is a good card should I go with that one.
If any graphic artists are looking at this is it worth dropping the grand on the MAC display or is there an equally capable or better unit by another compant out there, for the same or lower price.
Now I know its possible Im grabbing at a computer that is more than I need but Im not sure thats why Im asking you guys. Anyway thanks for all that post help.
( Last edited by darkpilatus; Feb 11, 2007 at 03:38 PM. Reason: More info)

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2007, 03:40 PM

So what is your question?

Aside from that, based on your proposed specs, downgrade from the 3GHz to the 2.66GHz processor (the extra little bit of speed is not worth the money; put that money into a RAM upgrade for the machine). Lose the second 7300GT (the only advantage to having two graphics cards is support for more than two monitors. If you're only getting one or two displays, you only need one graphics card.) If you think you'll play a lot of games on it, you could replace the two 7300GTs with the Radeon 1900XT and get considerably better performance in games. Otherwise, a single 7300GT would yield decent gaming performance. The 23" Cinema Display is a nice monitor for graphic design.

"I start fires!"

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2007, 03:53 PM

agreed.......get the 2.66 w/the Radeon, minimal ram & HDD, then buy 2-4GB of ram and 500GB+ of HDD elsewhere........

If you can afford the ACD, go for it, they are absolutely beeutifull.......but there are other monitors out there that are (technically) almost as good, just w/o the slick apple looks........like the Dell & ViewSonic 20/24/30" widescreens, for alot less $$
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2007, 04:44 PM

Depending on how serious he is about graphic design, the cheaper Dell/Viewsonic/Samsung screens may not offer the level of color reproduction he wants. While the Apple ones are not really top-of-the-line, they do have higher-quality panels and image processing that produces more accurate color. This may not matter to him, however, in which case your suggestions are good; a big, nice LCD can be had much cheaper than the Apple screens.

"I start fires!"

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2007, 04:56 PM

I'd suggest buying the 2.66Ghz model (333Mhz isn't worth $800), the 160GB hard drive (for the amount Apple gives back on the downgrade you can buy a new 250GB), 1GB RAM, and the X1900. Then add 2-4GB RAM from a third party.

I think the quads are worth waiting. The X1900 is good for games.

Why are you thinking of buying 2 7300s? Do you have more than two monitors?

I'd buy a different brand of LCD. Dell's 24" is nice, and much cheaper.

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3 View Post
Depending on how serious he is about graphic design, the cheaper Dell/Viewsonic/Samsung screens may not offer the level of color reproduction he wants. While the Apple ones are not really top-of-the-line, they do have higher-quality panels and image processing that produces more accurate color.
I thought that myth died when Anandtech opened up the 20" Dell and 20" Apple and showed the world that that panels were the same make/model.

darkpilatus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2007, 05:27 PM

Lose the second 7300GT (the only advantage to having two graphics cards is support for more than two monitors. If you're only getting one or two displays, you only need one graphics card.)
Im actually working with the moniter i decide on and a WACOM Cintiq touch display tablet

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2007, 05:33 PM

While the Apple ones are not really top-of-the-line,
What would you call top-of-the-line?

new2me
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2007, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sub View Post
What would you call top-of-the-line?
Try these...

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I thought that myth died when Anandtech opened up the 20" Dell and 20" Apple and showed the world that that panels were the same make/model.
I thought Apple used some kind of higher-quality backlight and better image processor, but I could be wrong.

And, to Sub, LaCie and Eizo both make higher-quality LCDs than Apple.

"I start fires!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules