Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Doing it my damnnn self

Doing it my damnnn self
JennPav
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2007, 12:45 AM

Hey everyone,
I just got my very expensive degree in graphic design and after being out of college for ohhhh, two years... I seem to have pigeon-holed myself into the publishing industry where I am working on print, print, print. Which is nice and all but I am really interested in web design, specifically GUI and I have been looking at taking classes...
Long story short, I would really like to begin teaching myself how to be more of a web saavy designer but I don't know where to start. Should I learn programming first? What languages? How did you guys learn it? Did you go buy a book, did you go to school, online tutorials? What? I just need to be moving forward and I'm not sure the best way to do that. I'm all ears if you have suggestions.
Thanks!

air
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2007, 01:32 AM

I think with pretty much all computer stuff, you can teach yourself from a book. You would be using a book in a class anyways and there are some great books. I recommend learning HTML and CSS as they are the most popular I believe. The combination produces very beautiful and simple coding.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2007, 08:24 AM

CSS is the obvious thing to learn for desgin, but I'd learn SQL and PHP while you're at it.
Sure, you can make beautiful static pages with CSS, but for an interesting website in 2007 you need dynamic database-driven content.
Once you're comfortable there, learn AJAX for even better sites.

JennPav  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2007, 12:39 PM

Wow, thanks. Great info. I have started doing some HTML and I have an enormous ActionScripting book that is haunting me. I also have XML and UI books and-- there's just so much out there I didn't know where to begin. I wouldn't have thought of SQL or PHP or even AJAX. So far the only real experience I have is with HTML, PERL, and Java and those are rusty at best. The only thing I have against learning from books is I need to practice this stuff over and over so I like having assignments to do. But I guess I'll just have to make up my own. Thanks again!

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2007, 02:45 PM

This might be right up your alley: eXe 0.21 - MacUpdate

eXe (The eLearning XHTML editor) is an authoring environment to assist teachers and academics in the design, development and publishing of web-based learning and teaching materials without the need to become proficient in HTML or complicated web-publishing applications.

Forum Links
Forum Rules