Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > IPhone took a swim!

IPhone took a swim!
gcr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2009, 01:41 AM

My daughter needed to visit the toilet and conveniently let her IPhone drop out of her jeans pocket into the toilet. Ug!! Luckily this happened before she did her business! LOL... Screen was on for a bit then went dead. I got home 15 minutes later and immediately went into a panic attack taking the SIM card out and grabbing the hair blower for her to blow into the open slots on hot at first then changed my mind and had her put it on air only. Women's perogative. Anyhoo, after about 5 minutes the screen starting flashing the apple sign then it would go out over and over again like it was trying to start up. I tried to turn it off but the darn thing wouldn't listen to me! At this time I put it into a ziplock bag of white rice and put it in front of the fire - not too close of course - just to see if the heat would help dry it out and the rice would suck the moisture out of it, then moved it to a warm spot in the house. 2 days later (after the battery went dead finally) I plugged it in and the darn thing sprang to life without me even turning it on! Here's the tricky part. I thought all was great until we unplugged it an hour later and after 5 minutes of use it went dead again. We then plugged it back in and, presto, it came back to life. I'm afraid to unplug it!! LOL...

Has this happened to anyone and is it possible that she only fried the battery and nothing else? HEEELLLPPP!!!!!

HenryMelton
Feb 14, 2009, 01:55 PM

My history with a dunked iPhone is detailed in this blog entry and the many useful comments that followed. There was also a parallel thread on this forum at the same time, but I can't seem to find it.

Summary: It took a long time, weeks/months, to get full functionality back. I've since moved on to a 3G but I still use my old one for photos and other odd duties that don't require a phone service.

gcr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2009, 04:23 PM

Thanks Henry! I read through those postings and it gave me some valuable info!

Also, my daughter's phone is a 3G. Should this make a difference in how much water damage could occur or, maybe, create different possible remedies to help dry it out? I'm still thinking it's the battery because everything else works and the phone has never shown any water residue in the screen. Problem is, I can't find an easy way to replace the battery in the darn thing!

For now I'm just keeping it plugged in crossing my fingers.

gcr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2009, 04:29 PM

BTW,

Forgot to mention the update! The phone seems to be working perfectly until it puts itself into sleep mode after not using it for a minute. Once it goes into sleep mode that darn apple sign pops back up then shuts off, then pops up, then shuts off. We need to then plug it in again to go back to the regular screen.

Again, battery? LOL...

DmbShn41
Feb 28, 2009, 12:32 PM

I basically did the same thing, except I had my 3G in a case. The phone def got wet. Immediately after I retrieved it, I started shaking it irratically, and grabbed the blow dryer. I kept flashing "This accessory is not made to work with the iPhone..." and all I kept thinking was 'who would make a toilet to work with an iPhone?' Nehoo, I tried using it after drying for an hour. The external speaker, audio jack, and phone speaker were all dead. Screen was great still, and Home button and Standby button worked though. I thought I was screwed so I turned it off and boxed it up in it's original box. I was going to head off to the Apple store the next day to see if there was anything that could be done, and if not, to buy a new one. About an hour after I boxed it up, it started ringing! I answered, my friend could hear me and I could hear him. Everything seemed to be fine and it has worked great since. Problem is, I went to Apple anyway to see if anything could be done, plus I was buying a new laptop. They held a moisture stick next to my phone, it indicated that water had made it into the casing, they scanned my serial, and voided my warranty. Not fretting though. Wife is getting a new custom iPhone, and I get hers, so even if mine dies, I got one in reserve.
Intel iMac - 17" 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 1 GB RAM 150GB HDD
MB 13" - Early 2010 Model iPod Touch - 16GB
iPad - 16GB WiFi iPhone 3GS - 16GB

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2009, 12:51 PM

My son did the same thing. Of course you have to let it dry out. But it's an absolute must to replace the battery. The phone will be fine after that. I bought a battery for $20 from ipodjuice.com and replaced it myself using instructions on the internet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules