Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari frustration- Hitting back button leaves me on the same page repeatedly

Safari frustration- Hitting back button leaves me on the same page repeatedly
sartor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2009, 11:44 AM

A good example of this is at cars.com - Search for a used car, and when you get the list, click on one of the cars. Then hit the back button after it's loaded.. You'll stay on the same page!
WTF! I googled this, and I read that some html programmers purposely program the website to do this, and so this probably isn't a Safari specific problem. What gives????

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2009, 01:44 PM

That is frustrating, but, you're correct, it is not specific to Safari.
MacBook C2D 2.0GHz/Combo/2GB RAM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 5, 2009, 04:48 PM

I've noticed the same thing when viewing eBay items. I have to double click the back button to get back to a page of search results. Because of this, I typically open up items in a new tab and just close the tab when I'm done.

larkost
Mac Elite
May 5, 2009, 05:08 PM

The issue you are running into is that some sites have intermediate link pages between other pages (typically to guard against submitting forms twice). The intermediate page is simply a page that tells your browser to go on to the next page. So when you hit the back button you go back a page, only to have that page push you right back to the page you just left.

There is nothing that a browser can reasonably do to get around this, the web-app developer would have to work around this.

HenryMelton
May 5, 2009, 06:45 PM

Click and hold the back button. Up pops a history list, choose the second one down and you'll skip over the redirect page to the previous real page.

P
May 6, 2009, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by larkost View Post
There is nothing that a browser can reasonably do to get around this, the web-app developer would have to work around this.
Sure they can - they can try to detect the intermediate pages and just skip them when moving around in the history. Firefox does catch them sometimes - I think it depends on how the redirect is done.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

sartor  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2009, 01:46 PM

Thanks to all for replies, but especially to henrymelton for the real fix to the problem!

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules