Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Radar / Laser Detectors

Radar / Laser Detectors (Page 2)
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 13, 2010, 12:42 AM

The question marks made that pretty clear.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 13, 2010, 12:50 AM

I'm saying every stickshift i've touched vibrated when the car was moving, so I'm not sure how 'special' the G35 is in this regard.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2010, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
I use one all the time. I commute from Madison to Milwaukee in my aero modded 91 civic, and I've had an arms race with the highway patrol. The fuzzbuster protects me from cops driving the opposite direction with the radar on (works wonderfully too, I might say), but I'm still vulnerable to the dickwads who sit in the median and use laser or instant on. The only way to avoid this is visual confirmation. To solve this, I slow down to about 10mph over the limit when I crest a hill. My roommate then scans the median up ahead with a pair of high powered binoculars. When he sees no signs of danger he says "clear" and then I am able to roll back up to the cruising speed of about 85-95mph.
I see you invest considerable criminal energy into breaking the law.

I've never been a big fan of the "it's alright as long as you don't get caught" school of thought.

Though I'm always amused at the assholes stupid enough to brag about it in public.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 13, 2010, 08:22 AM

Laws that exist purely to generate revenue are not good laws and should not be abided.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2010, 08:48 AM

Laws that exist purely to generate revenue are not good laws and should not be abided.
I'll just assume that you're not talking about the law in general - surely even YOU must realize that speed limits, as a legal device, make excellent sense - but about the enforcement in specific situations.

And of course, it should be up to the individual to decide when this situation occurs.

Naturally, that applies equally to the guy changing lanes right in front of you in his SUV while on his cellphone. Because, you know, he's an expert driver who knows his limits, and that phone call was damn important.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 13, 2010, 09:19 AM

No, actually they don't make any sense, on highways.

paul w
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2010, 09:28 AM

I'm sure you have read many books on the topic, but you kind of sound like somebody who trying to selfishly justify driving as fast as you can wherever you can.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 13, 2010, 10:04 AM

Uh, yeah, I guess. Driving 1.5 hours 4 times a week is boring. I've cut my commute from 1 hour and 20 some minutes to about 45-50 minutes. Once I get the headlight flashers it should be even lower.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 13, 2010, 10:10 AM

Higher speeds = more death, right? Is that the assumption you are hinting at?

http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa346.pdf

Oh.... darn. There goes that assumption. What's even more interesting is this:

Montana - No Speed Limit Safety Paradox

I hope that gets your brain poppin', because the findings go against everything you've been led to believe by the media/government.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 13, 2010, 10:12 AM

I almost feel like the next logical step for this thread is for dif to post a video of his commute.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 13, 2010, 10:20 AM

Higher speeds = more death, right? Is that the assumption you are hinting at?

http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa346.pdf

Oh.... darn. There goes that assumption. What's even more interesting is this:

Montana - No Speed Limit Safety Paradox

I hope that gets your brain poppin', because the findings go against everything you've been led to believe by the media/government.
Could you point out which of these studies discusses driving 95mph in rush hour traffic for me? For some reason it's not there.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 13, 2010, 10:28 AM

It's an interesting read, but its a lot of numbers and very little exposition. The numbers go down, but they're not very clear as to why. It'd be more interesting if they had studied driver behavioral changes between the two laws.

paul w
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2010, 11:06 AM

Uh, yeah, I guess. Driving 1.5 hours 4 times a week is boring. I've cut my commute from 1 hour and 20 some minutes to about 45-50 minutes. Once I get the headlight flashers it should be even lower.
Your commute is boring. Wow, that totally explains and justifies everything then.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 13, 2010, 11:11 AM

Commutes, by definition, are boring. Unless you're really into the doing the same thing the same way everyday.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 13, 2010, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
It's an interesting read, but its a lot of numbers and very little exposition. The numbers go down, but they're not very clear as to why. It'd be more interesting if they had studied driver behavioral changes between the two laws.
Realistic Speed Limits Reduce Road Rage

There you go.

Cheers!

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 13, 2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Could you point out which of these studies discusses driving 95mph in rush hour traffic for me? For some reason it's not there.
Rush hour traffic? You're assuming quite a bit there. As usual.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 13, 2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
Your commute is boring. Wow, that totally explains and justifies everything then.
No, the studies I just posted explain and justify everything.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 13, 2010, 12:45 PM

In that case it sounds like the speed limit was unrealistic. You can do 65-70 on most highways.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2010, 12:48 PM

I use one all the time. I commute from Madison to Milwaukee in my aero modded 91 civic, and I've had an arms race with the highway patrol. The fuzzbuster protects me from cops driving the opposite direction with the radar on (works wonderfully too, I might say), but I'm still vulnerable to the dickwads who sit in the median and use laser or instant on. The only way to avoid this is visual confirmation. To solve this, I slow down to about 10mph over the limit when I crest a hill. My roommate then scans the median up ahead with a pair of high powered binoculars. When he sees no signs of danger he says "clear" and then I am able to roll back up to the cruising speed of about 85-95mph.
Ok, the fuzzbuster and slowing down when cresting hills makes total sense to me. The roommate with the high powered binoculars sounds like overkill to me, but whatever.

Honestly, the biggest impediment to my commute time now is traffic; most lemmings do not know how to yield to faster traffic, and stay in the right lane. The left lane is for passing ONLY. So, the next step is headlight strobes, to simulate an emergency vehicle. We actually bought a set, but it sucked and wasn't bright enough. Once we have higher powered strobes, I think we'll be able to cut the commute time down even further.
Um, impersonating an emergency vehicle is illegal in most states. In fact, most "civilian" users of flashers, etc require permits for their use (i.e. volunteer firefighters, etc) and even then their use is strictly regulated and may only be used in a true emergency. Using the headlight flashers to trick the "lemmings" into moving over so you can go faster most certainly is not a true emergency. In fact, you could cause an accident. Yes, even if it was a real emergency vehicle the driver who caused the accident would be at fault but I'm sure that if anyone involved in the accident finds out that the reason the driver caused the accident was to move aside for a non-emergency vehicle acting like an emergency vehicle they could come after you for being a contributing factor. In fact, the at-fault driver could probably successfully mitigate any consequences for it as well.

My guess is that you'll get stopped the minute a police officer catches you using them. In this day and age of cell phones, if I ever saw someone pulling such a stunt I'd be on the phone with the police pretty darn quick, with a nice description of the car, the general location and the license plate numbers, too. Yes, the police may have to actually see it happen to be able to do anything about it, but... safety is safety.

Meh, it doesn't really matter to me, but if you get stopped by the police for impersonating an emergency vehicle don't come ranting about it being "unfair."

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 13, 2010, 12:49 PM

Also, written by a traffic engineer who designs speed limits:

Highway Handbook: Why We Speed - Dead Cat Bounce: features and opinion that's actually interesting

"We try to keep speed limits close to the design speed for a reason. If motorists are allowed to drive at what they feel is a safe speed, they’re more at ease and tend to group around the 85th percentile speed. With our artificially low speed limits, however, the 85th percentile speed is generally 10 mph greater than the speed limit; that difference sometimes reaches 20 mph on low-volume roads. The result is that a majority of drivers are breaking the law. Those that choose to obey the limit increase the risk of accidents."

Have fun with that one, sheeple.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 13, 2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
Um, impersonating an emergency vehicle is illegal in most states. In fact, most "civilian" users of flashers, etc require permits for their use (i.e. volunteer firefighters, etc) and even then their use is strictly regulated and may only be used in a true emergency. Using the headlight flashers to trick the "lemmings" into moving over so you can go faster most certainly is not a true emergency. In fact, you could cause an accident. Yes, even if it was a real emergency vehicle the driver who caused the accident would be at fault but I'm sure that if anyone involved in the accident finds out that the reason the driver caused the accident was to move aside for a non-emergency vehicle acting like an emergency vehicle they could come after you for being a contributing factor. In fact, the at-fault driver could probably successfully mitigate any consequences for it as well.

My guess is that you'll get stopped the minute a police officer catches you using them. In this day and age of cell phones, if I ever saw someone pulling such a stunt I'd be on the phone with the police pretty darn quick, with a nice description of the car, the general location and the license plate numbers, too. Yes, the police may have to actually see it happen to be able to do anything about it, but... safety is safety.

Meh, it doesn't really matter to me, but if you get stopped by the police for impersonating an emergency vehicle don't come ranting about it being "unfair."
Not really worried about it. I'm not going to 'drive with them on'. I'm going to install a momentary switch in a secret location. This will allow me to annoy the people in front of me who refuse to move over, which will cause them to move over. As soon as they move over, I'll turn them off. If a cop ever stops me I'll just say I was flicking my brights because they had a brake light out or something. >shrug<

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2010, 12:57 PM

Drat! Your superior wit and intellect has bested me yet again!

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 13, 2010, 01:04 PM

And you would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for them snoopin' kids!

paul w
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2010, 01:06 PM

No, the studies I just posted explain and justify everything.
And as we've seen, it's not possible for someone to disagree with your positions.

I actually agree with a lot of this - speed limits are often lower than they need to be. But you're the last person I'd enter into a reasoned debate about this sort of thing.

The strobes thing kind of worries me. If anyone ever pulled that on me I'd take his license and report him to the police.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 13, 2010, 01:15 PM

And as we've seen, it's not possible for someone to disagree with your positions.

I actually agree with a lot of this - speed limits are often lower than they need to be. But you're the last person I'd enter into a reasoned debate about this sort of thing.

The strobes thing kind of worries me. If anyone ever pulled that on me I'd take his license and report him to the police.
And like I said, if a cop ever bothers me about it I'll just say you were going 10 under the limit and refusing to yield to faster traffic, so I flicked my brights at you. Or your muffler was dragging, or your taillight was out, etc. Whatever.

You really have to understand... SUV owners and large truck owners in particular, REFUSE to move over for people here. They have zero lane discipline. They feel that they should not have to move over, because they're going 5mph over the limit. Yet they tailgate dangerously when they get stuck behind someone travelling slower than them. They also refuse to move over for my civic, because it's a small car, that they probably consider "jap crap" (for fags*), but when I drive my Audi they tend to move the hell over.

*: Nothing against gay people, it's just that insecure truck owners usually call people who are 'man enough' to drive a small car 'fags'.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 13, 2010, 01:22 PM

sheeple.
You're really choking the life out of that buzzword as quickly as possible.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2010, 01:31 PM

And like I said, if a cop ever bothers me about it I'll just say you were going 10 under the limit and refusing to yield to faster traffic, so I flicked my brights at you. Or your muffler was dragging, or your taillight was out, etc. Whatever.
Ah. Coercion.

Isn't that illegal where you live?

It's QUITE illegal over here - and it's one reason the Autobahns work. In fact, if you tailgate and flash your lights at someone who's driving in the left lane even though he could (and thus by law *should*) be driving on the right, the police will routinely just stop and book you both.

Coercion can get you a one-month public transport experience - yes, you can actually lose your license for it.

paul w
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2010, 01:35 PM

I he thinks a cop is going to just buy his tory for illegally using strobes he's insane. Most likely in that circumstance, one gets arrested and car impounded.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2010, 01:36 PM

my aero modded 91 civic
Is that you on TWBO today?

Oops I see the Toyota badge.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 13, 2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Ah. Coercion.

It's QUITE illegal over here - and it's one reason the Autobahns work. In fact, if you tailgate and flash your lights at someone who's driving in the left lane even though he could (and thus by law *should*) be driving on the right, the police will routinely just stop and book you both.

Coercion can get you a one-month public transport experience - yes, you can actually lose your license for it.
I he thinks a cop is going to just buy his tory for illegally using strobes he's insane. Most likely in that circumstance, one gets arrested and car impounded.
Honestly, I don't understand why you people are undermining a potentially great thread that's going to occur a few months from now.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2010, 01:52 PM

...This will allow me to annoy the people in front of me who refuse to move over, which will cause them to move over...
...SUV owners and large truck owners in particular tailgate dangerously when they get stuck behind someone travelling slower than them...

Don't worry you don't have to respond, I already know you'll find a way not to feel sheepish sheeplish about it

Nice plan dood. Are you going to smash his taillight to corroborate your story, or just hope that the cop doesn't notice?

...because it's a small car, that they probably consider "jap crap" (for fags*)...
How dare they use stereotypes like that! People who stereotype are sheeple!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2010, 01:54 PM

I missed the part about impersonating an emergency vehicle.

I concur with Dakar - we should just back off at this point and let it happen (and just hope he doesn't scare some poor schmuck into crashing his car).

This has potential to top the Al Gore/sniper meat debacle for self-righteous idiocy.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2010, 02:10 PM

Ah. Coercion.

I suppose it could be considered a form of "coercion" but that's not what we call it here in the U.S. And whether or not it is illegal to flash one's headlights like that varies from state to state. It is illegal to do so in Ohio, but police cannot stop you just for that if they see you do so (as a primary offense). You can only be cited for it if they see you doing so and they stop you for some other offense.

In some states they can stop you simply for flashing your lights at another vehicle, but other states completely allow it.

That being said, legal or not, it's pretty dumb to do so because you never know how the other driver will respond, even if that other driver is wrong. I've seen people get killed for less reason.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 13, 2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post

Don't worry you don't have to respond, I already know you'll find a way not to feel sheepish sheeplish about it
I don't tailgate dangerously like the trucks/suvs do, dude. I just sit behind them a safe distance away and flick my light on and off. Flashing your high beams is illegal due to the potential to blind people. Flashing your lights on and off is not illegal. I had a cop tell me this before. If the lights don't work, then I start to use the horn.

Oh, and I only do this when I am coming up on them and they aren't next to anybody. Passing on the right is illegal in most places, but the real reason I don't is that they can change lanes suddenly. If they are next to another car, I just sit behind them with my left blinker on, to make them aware I am behind them, and ready to overtake.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2010, 02:16 PM

I shall write a book about this thread.

-t

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
I already know you'll find a way not to feel sheepish sheeplish about it
Nailed it

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 13, 2010, 02:23 PM

If the lights don't work, then I start to use the horn.
I don't know why, but I'm surprised at how obnoxious you're willing to be.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2010, 02:27 PM

That's exactly the kind of thing a lemming would say.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2010, 02:27 PM

If the horn doesn't work, he hangs his butt out the drivers' side window and moons the guy.

Don't worry, he's read several books on acrobatics, so he knows how to do this while minimizing distraction. It's completely safe.

He can even honk the horn and flash the turn signals simultaneously, and his wang is so huge (well, his car is so small, but don't let the fag hear it) that he can still floor the gas pedal to escape from the cops strobing him from behind.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2010, 02:39 PM

Don't worry, he's read several books on acrobatics, so he knows how to do this while minimizing distraction. It's completely safe.
Prepare for infraction.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2010, 02:45 PM

My guess is that if there's enough traffic that you find the need to install strobe lights on your car and impersonate an emergency vehicle to get people out of the way, there's enough traffic to suggest you're creating a dangerous situation. It's fricking I-94. It's busy. That's how it goes.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2010, 02:46 PM

Pfff, just honk at infractions. Don't let them slow you down.

-t

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 13, 2010, 03:14 PM

I find people who can't understand a simple concept like "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT" more obnoxious. I hope I piss all of them off and make them have bad days.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2010, 03:15 PM

I find people who can't understand a simple concept like "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT" more obnoxious. I hope I piss all of them off and make them have bad days.
Meh. They're just sheeple. Blissfully unaware of your rage.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 13, 2010, 03:17 PM

Justification not found

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 13, 2010, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
My guess is that if there's enough traffic that you find the need to install strobe lights on your car and impersonate an emergency vehicle to get people out of the way, there's enough traffic to suggest you're creating a dangerous situation. It's fricking I-94. It's busy. That's how it goes.
You don't understand. Not rush hour traffic. Past Brookfield, to Madison, there is barely any traffic. The problem arises when there's some random asshat who is 'cruising' in the passing lane. Or people who get in a little line, content to go 5 over the speed limit, to pass the group of people who are going 1 under the speed limit. They have plenty of chances to move over to let people pass them, but they don't. Oh, and before you go "but that's traffic", well... OBVIOUSLY, if they are taking up both lanes, I am not traveling 90mph. I am going whatever speed they are doing, following a safe distance behind them.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 13, 2010, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
Meh. They're just sheeple. Blissfully unaware of your rage.
No rage here. Just don't really care if I piss them off, and am definitely willing to flash lights, honk horns, and leave on blinkers to get them to move the **** over.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2010, 03:32 PM

You don't understand. Not rush hour traffic. Past Brookfield, to Madison, there is barely any traffic. The problem arises when there's some random asshat who is 'cruising' in the passing lane. Or people who get in a little line, content to go 5 over the speed limit, to pass the group of people who are going 1 under the speed limit. They have plenty of chances to move over to let people pass them, but they don't. Oh, and before you go "but that's traffic", well... OBVIOUSLY, if they are taking up both lanes, I am not traveling 90mph. I am going whatever speed they are doing, following a safe distance behind them.
Yes. That's traffic, and that's human nature. You said you were bored. This breaks up the monotony!

Relax. Hook up your iPod and throw in some good tunes. Have your roommate use the binoculars to peek into other cars and look for hot babes, and tell you about it. Enjoy the journey, and don't worry so much about the destination.

Look, I get it. I'm a fast driver too. I've just learned not to try to control things I can't control, and let things work themselves out. When those types of bottlenecks occur, I just ride it out and whiz by when they clear up and it's safe. Done. There's enough stupid on the road as it is. There's no need to add to it. You may think you're 'outsmarting' it, but you're really just adding to the ether of stupid out there.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2010, 03:34 PM

No rage here. Just don't really care if I piss them off, and am definitely willing to flash lights, honk horns, and leave on blinkers to get them to move the **** over.
That, sir, is rage.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 13, 2010, 03:41 PM

Call me crazy, but I think passing on the right is the lesser of two evils here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules