Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Server-sided Conversion of Word/rtf to HTML?

Server-sided Conversion of Word/rtf to HTML?
Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
May 14, 2006, 10:03 AM

I see there are apps on Mac OS X & Windows, but has anyone (pref. open-source? PHP?) done anything with server-sided conversion... so that a .doc or .rtf file (with fairly simple formating) could be converted at least into (p), (h1), (h2), etc tags (invisibly to the lay, HTML-ignorant users) and then styled by a site's CSS?

I've seen some CMS systems are going to start some "WYSIWIG" text editors (browser-based)... which is another route. But the one I remember seeing wasn't yet beyond Windows.

I can hear now the SILENCE responding to this pie-in-the-sky wish... but I thought I'd see if anybody's heard anything being even attempted to come close.

TIA
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

SirCastor
Professional Poster
May 14, 2006, 06:06 PM

I haven't seen anything, but it wouldn't be too difficult. Just a matter of find replace code in PHP... If I have a spare minute, I'll write one up.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2006, 07:28 PM

I imagine any normal app that converts Word to HTML would work as long as you can control it programmatically. Also, the WYSIWYG FCKeditor works on Firefox on Mac, though it's just an editor, not a CMS.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
May 14, 2006, 11:25 PM

Thanks for responses guys.
Chuckit... I was really having trouble figuring out FCKeditor.... I couldn't see how it would DO anything. Then I looked back and notice that, among all the browsers it supported... Safari was not listed. So I opened it in FireFox.. and wow!
So what IS it with FCKeditor / Safari? I'm amazed they can be have such different capabilities? Can anyone explain why (in simple terms) why it doesn't work in Safari?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

cgc
Professional Poster
May 18, 2006, 09:38 AM

Not sure if UNIX terminal commands can be evoked via .CGI scripts but 'textutil' can convert from doc, rtf, tct, and html.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2006, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by cgc
Not sure if UNIX terminal commands can be evoked via .CGI scripts but 'textutil' can convert from doc, rtf, tct, and html.
Directly invoking a Unix terminal command from an HTTP request isn't really a good idea, but it would be easy to write a CGI script that acts as glue to invoke the command and return the results to the user. I wouldn't recommend this for high-volume sites, but if the script isn't going to see heavy use then it's worth considering.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

lilnev
May 29, 2006, 11:19 AM

I was trying to get textutil to work from a PHP script running on Apache 2.0 and OS X 10.4.6 and kept running into this error:

"Window Server communications from outside of session allowed for root and console user only"

What it boils down to is: Nope, can't use that app on the command-line unless you're root or actually logged in via the GUI (though textutil might actually work if you are logged in via ssh, but still complain).

Rats!

Forum Links
Forum Rules