Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > I Hit A Wall Of Brick

I Hit A Wall Of Brick
Dopetrackalistic
Baninated
May 6, 2006, 05:32 PM

Ok, I am sorry to bother every one here again, but I dont know where to go. You see I decided to learn C. I got a book and I got though the first chapter and after that chapter it says go out and experiment and program. Well I dont know what to do what to make and if I want to make somethign I dont know where to start. Was looking for Open-Source Projects but everything is in Objective-C or Carbon C++.

Then their is carbon which I don't know where to start with. In otherwords I am looking for help and inspiration.

Thank You In Advance.

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2006, 05:45 PM

If you're only through the first chapter, then it's probably way too soon to start looking at OSS or Sample Code from Apple. Learning a language is just the first step in learning how to develop an application. The real work is learning an API like Carbon, Cocoa, .NET, STL, etc. and then become proficient enough in your language that you can begin to design and develop using any API you decide to learn.

So for now, you should probably just try to get comfortable with simple C programs that run on a command line, and using the standard C libraries as your beginning API set.

In XCode, select New Project from the File menu and create the "Standard Tool" that is listed under "Command Line Utility." Then, go ahead and compile it and run it. The XCode "Run Log" window will show you the command line input and output.

Play around with the "main.c" that was created in the project. You can probably use samples from your C book, or here's a nice little collection of small C programs that demonstrate various functions in C:
http://www.phim.unibe.ch/comp_doc/c_.../examples.html

Good luck!

Dopetrackalistic  (op)
Baninated
May 6, 2006, 09:45 PM

Thanks

Charles Bouldin
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2006, 07:10 AM

What you need is "Programming in Objective C" by Steve Kochan. This starts you out in objective C and he shows you how to work with Xcode or the commandline. Use the commandline; much simpler. Edit the code with BBEdit or Textwrangler (or pick another editor, opinions vary a lot on this).

This will introduce you to C as use in objective C. It's the way to start.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Charles Bouldin
What you need is "Programming in Objective C" by Steve Kochan. This starts you out in objective C and he shows you how to work with Xcode or the commandline. Use the commandline; much simpler. Edit the code with BBEdit or Textwrangler (or pick another editor, opinions vary a lot on this).

This will introduce you to C as use in objective C. It's the way to start.
1. Why use the command line? For a beginner, Xcode would be a lot easier IMO.

2. I disagree with starting in Objective-C. Start with plain old C is my recommendation. Once you've got a good grasp of C, Objective-C is really easy to learn as it's a pretty simple set of extensions to the language.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 28, 2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
2. I disagree with starting in Objective-C. Start with plain old C is my recommendation. Once you've got a good grasp of C, Objective-C is really easy to learn as it's a pretty simple set of extensions to the language.
I don't know.

The Kochan book teaches Objective-C as a first language. It assumes no prior knowledge of C, and teaches you what you need to know for the language. And it teaches Objective-C separately from the Cocoa API, AFAIK.

Still, learning C will give you a broader base to start with.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2006, 08:09 PM

If the book really teaches "Objective-C as a first language," then it's just a combined C and Objective-C book. You really can't learn Objective-C with any degree of completeness without knowing C.

Primarily, I'm concerned about "as used in Objective-C" meaning "we gloss over pointers," which is a horrible-though-unintimidating thing to do. If the book does a good job, that's good, though not any different than learning C and learning Objective-C.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 06:54 AM

I've been wondering about how to start learning Obj. C, as well.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules