Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MS Bluetooth mouse and update 10.2.5

MS Bluetooth mouse and update 10.2.5
forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2003, 12:51 AM

I have heard rumors that the MS mouse would work with the new 10.2.5 update. Now that it is actually out has anyone tried to use it succesfully?

Thanks and I might get one tommarow and try it but would really like to see if it works first

Force

i-ax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2003, 10:56 AM

Me too. However I just got off the phone with "Steve" at MS and he maintains that the MS BT mouse is not mac compatible, and what's more even though my sweet little PB12" has built in BT I would still have to use the elephant sized receiver, that is if it were compatible in the first place, in order for the thing to work.

Who at MS is sleeping on the job? What better sales pitch than a photo of a powerbook and mouse ( no wires or RECEIVERS! in sight)being used by some guy/gal with a cheese grin pretending to really love their job. I know I'd buy one !!! MS get your act together
Powerbook Pending

spaced
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2003, 11:20 AM

Uh... there have been plenty of threads on this subject.

The MS Bluetooth mouse works perfectly with the new PowerBooks. It works grand with my 17" PB and I love the fact that there are no stupid dongles and receivers everywhere. It's very nice.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2003, 12:29 PM

It works fine on the 17 inchers.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2003, 12:45 PM

Just a bit confused by the "no dongles, no recievers in sight" comment.

I know the MS BT Mouse works with the new PBs, but don't you still have to plug in the transceiver that comes with the mouse? Or did 10.2.5 allow you to use the mouse without plugging anything in at all.

Some clarifications please?
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

urrl5201
Apr 15, 2003, 01:44 PM

You do not have to plug in anything for the BT mouse or keyboard to work in the 12" or 17". However I was in the process of taking mine back. In spite of reports that the Microsoft BT mouse works so perfectly with the 17" mine was rather jumpy. I was going to get a full refund but after reading this thread how everything is so hunky dory with the BT mouse maybe I will just exchange it. It could be just a defect mouse.

LosJackal
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2003, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by urrl5201:
You do not have to plug in anything for the BT mouse or keyboard to work in the 12" or 17". However I was in the process of taking mine back. In spite of reports that the Microsoft BT mouse works so perfectly with the 17" mine was rather jumpy. I was going to get a full refund but after reading this thread how everything is so hunky dory with the BT mouse maybe I will just exchange it. It could be just a defect mouse.
No, it is jumpy. And I'm having trouble with pairings now, off and on. Plus there is no software to configure the fourth and fifth buttons yet.
"Sawtooth" G4 450 desktop + SuperDrive
"Pismo" G3 500 PowerBook SOLD!
"Hammerhead" G4 PowerBook arrived!
www.canyouhearmenow.com

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2003, 02:47 PM

where could one buy this mouse? and how much?

urrl5201
Apr 15, 2003, 03:24 PM

I took the keyboard/mouse back to CompUSA and exchanged it for just the BT Microsoft mouse, getting about $90 US back. The BT mouse is still jumpy. You can also buy at Best Buy stores but I fail to see why anyone would want to unless they want to use these BT items with a PC laptop. I will probably take the BT mouse back Saturday. Maybe I can figure out what the problem is if possible.

I started to jump for joy when I enabled BT in system preferences on my 17" and my RF wireless mouse began working. I thought the BT had picked up on the RF logitech wireless mouse!!!...then I realized the RF dongle was plugged in...

baglunch
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2003, 03:58 PM

I took the keyboard/mouse back to CompUSA and exchanged it for just the BT Microsoft mouse, getting about $90 US back. The BT mouse is still jumpy. You can also buy at Best Buy stores but I fail to see why anyone would want to unless they want to use these BT items with a PC laptop. I will probably take the BT mouse back Saturday. Maybe I can figure out what the problem is if possible.

I started to jump for joy when I enabled BT in system preferences on my 17" and my RF wireless mouse began working. I thought the BT had picked up on the RF logitech wireless mouse!!!...then I realized the RF dongle was plugged in...
try turning off your internal airport interface on the powerbook, some people say that the bluetooth network may interfere with the 802.11b network (and visa versa).

I don't know for sure, but it's worth a shot.

urrl5201
Apr 15, 2003, 04:30 PM

Airport is not on; I use dial-up. Another guy on another forum has the same exact problem. I would not advise purchasing a Microsoft BT product till this issue is resolved.

LosJackal
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2003, 04:52 PM

Airport is not on; I use dial-up. Another guy on another forum has the same exact problem. I would not advise purchasing a Microsoft BT product till this issue is resolved.
I believe it is jumpy because of the refresh/sampling rate. Early RF models I've read were 50-60 Hz, meaning 50-60 samples per second.

Typical mice, including Microsoft Bluetooth, are around 80 Hz.

Logitech MX line is apparently 120 Hz, which is equivalent to a USB mouse.

So it's not a bug, it's fact.
"Sawtooth" G4 450 desktop + SuperDrive
"Pismo" G3 500 PowerBook SOLD!
"Hammerhead" G4 PowerBook arrived!
www.canyouhearmenow.com

porsche993
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2003, 08:29 PM

Holy crap!!! Just bought the MS Bluetooth mouse, and it works great with my 12". I'm getting good response up to about 20'. The trick is to setup things in Mouse Prefs.

Way to go Apple!!!

sean

am1ne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2003, 06:49 AM

some say it works fine, some don't.
what is the outcome then...
Is it worth spending on the MS BT mouse?

urrl5201
Apr 16, 2003, 07:08 AM

I was also enthused when I first bought my MS mouse and did not notice much until I simply slowly moved my mouse across the screen over and over. The mouse plainly skips. I think after Porche gets over the novelty and really begins using it he will also notice this unless the 12" is different, the problem is definitely evident in the 17".

porsche993
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2003, 12:31 PM

The mouse is smooth as glass, no skipping. I have mouse tracking in the system profile set all the way to "fast".

Hope that helps!

sean

iHanhauser
Apr 16, 2003, 04:20 PM

I went out and bought a MS BlueTooth Mouse as soon as I read this. Works great

All I did is click on the bluetooth icon and hit detect, and then hit OK and it worked ...... How sweet is that.

iHanhauser

urrl5201
Apr 16, 2003, 04:31 PM

What laptop do you have iHanhauser?

iHanhauser
Apr 16, 2003, 04:57 PM

I have a 17" Powerbook ..... BlueTooth Mouse works great.

I upgraded from the MS Blue USB wireless mouse. I think the Bluetooth works much better, and there are no WIRES .............

mcs37
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2003, 05:27 PM

I started a big thread on this topic a while back and got flamed to hell for having asked a repeated question. They assured me that it would not work without plugging in the mouse's base station to the USB port. We'll just have to see about this. I'll head over the local Apple store tonight and see if my mouse is recognized.

Although note that my thread was about the Blue optical wireless mouse, not the Bluetooth optical wireless mouse.
( Last edited by mcs37; Apr 16, 2003 at 05:34 PM. )

iHanhauser
Apr 16, 2003, 05:35 PM

No need to go to the Apple store dog ..... IT WORKS. Trust me.

iHanhauser

urrl5201
Apr 16, 2003, 05:47 PM

Reguardless, I have just tried the Microsoft out at the Macintosh Center in Ft Lauderdale. They were happy to see how the Microsoft mouse would work. It did work on both the 12" and the 17" and it was JUMPY on both. If you guys are using the little receiver base station that comes with the BT mouse in order to get the smooth motion then the whole set up does not make sense; you can get butter smooth motion with a plain old wireless RF mouse for much less money. What is the point of BT if you have to plug something into your laptop to get it to work? The Microsoft BT mouse does work without plugging ANYTHING into your 12" or 17", but it is jumpy.
To future purchasers of this cute little BT mouse; don't say I didn't warn you.

urrl5201
Apr 16, 2003, 06:19 PM

I have just tried the little BT dongle and the BT mouse is still jumpy. Sorry, can't believe the "works fine" remarks. Can you guys honestly tell me if you slowly move your BT mouse in a figure 8 motion, slow enough to see the pointer movement at all times, you still see no jumps? No way.

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2003, 07:35 PM

Has anyone tried the MS bluetooth mouse with the Dlink DWB-120M bluetooth adapter?

iHanhauser
Apr 16, 2003, 07:57 PM

My God .... Whats it matter if a mouse doesnt move exactly as smooth as a USB optical mouse.

You guys should stop leaving such negitive comments about Apple Products and other hardware, and look into the good.

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2003, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by iHanhauser:
My God .... Whats it matter if a mouse doesnt move exactly as smooth as a USB optical mouse.

You guys should stop leaving such negitive comments about Apple Products and other hardware, and look into the good.
I think that there is a valid concern here. Having the mouse cursor skip around the screen is one of the most annoying and counterproductive things that can happen, and the MS bluetooth mouse was designed with smoothness in mind... if its something software related or hardware related on the Apple end, it definitely shouldn't be written off as easily as you make it seem.

cursor accuracy and reliability is a big deal... its not bashing Apple products if its a valid concern.

rcarlosnyc
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2003, 11:50 AM

I'm thinking of buying the MS bluetooth mouse. Any news if it's still jumpy?

Wallenstein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2003, 01:37 PM

I've been using the MS BT mouse with my 17"Lapzilla for one month now. No problems whatsoever. It's even smoother than with the MS RF Intellimouse that I used before.
So, IMHO it's a definite thumbs-up for the BT mouse on the 17incher.
Cheers,
Wallenstein

forcelite  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2003, 02:09 PM

they have definatly ironed out most of the kinks, cause I have had my 12'albook running the ms bluetooth no problems for months now. Everything is ok

Force

andybrawer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2003, 07:42 PM

works fine for me - no jumps

I have just tried the little BT dongle and the BT mouse is still jumpy. Sorry, can't believe the "works fine" remarks. Can you guys honestly tell me if you slowly move your BT mouse in a figure 8 motion, slow enough to see the pointer movement at all times, you still see no jumps? No way.

Wesson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2003, 04:22 PM

i love it, no jumps at all.....maybe if your gaming...
Proud owner of a 12" 700 Mhz IBook
Proud owner of a 15" 500 Mhz TiBook
Proud owner of a 12" 1-SD Ghz AlBook

Forum Links
Forum Rules