Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iSync, Bluetooth, "unsupported phones"

iSync, Bluetooth, "unsupported phones"
awcopus
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 05:16 PM

Anybody here using iSync with a phone that Apple has not yet listed on their web site?

I just purchased the Nokia 6310i and a DLink USB Bluetooth Adaptor. The Bluetooth software detects my phone by the name I gave it....and then it asks the phone if it wants to "pair" with it....and the phone displays the name of my computer and asks me to "accept" the invitation to pair and enter a "pass key". I enter the pass key...the devices connect for approximately 3 seconds, and then the phone drops the connection.

So close....I'm wondering if anyone here has any advice about how I might be able to make the phone and the computer hold on to that connection. Would hate to have to return this phone. I actually bought it based on a phonescoop comment that boded well for making this work....

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/all_reviews.php?id=122

awcopus  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 08:23 PM

So, just got off the phone with Nokia. No support for Mac OS X is forthcoming beyond their one offering: the 3650.

Below is the note that I sent to their customer feebdack division, and I will be sending a letter containing the below sentiments, altered somewhat, shortly. Was wondering if maybe there's a way to get some real support behind this, lots of people signatures or something?

BTW, the references to "furious" are based on this silly gauge at Nokia's web site that asks you to rate the seriousness of your issue. I simply selected furious...well, for reasons I explain in the note.

________

FIrst of all, I am not furious in the "angry" sense of the word. I have been an extremely pleased user of Nokia phones since 1997 and have never had any cause to complain. Au contraire, I have always been an effective evangelist where your phones are concerned. I love your phones, I honestly do. I also love the 6310i. In fact, I am certain that if it were not for one issue, I would keep this phone, which arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, I will be returning the phone to AT&T Wireless and choosing a phone from a competing manufacturer, probably Sony Ericsson.

So I am "furious" in the sense that there can be nothing more extreme than essentially electing to no longer use Nokia phones.

Why is this happening?

I am an Apple Macintosh computer user. Every year I spend thousands of dollars on my Apple hardware. And this year, with Apple releasing iSync and Bluetooth support, I finally have a solution to a NEED that I often face--keeping the extensive data stored on my phone backed up on my computer.

Unfortunately, Nokia currently only produces one phone, the 3650, that supports iSync. I was under the impression that I could use the Bluetooth feature in the 6310i with my Apple hardware after reading a Mac user's glowing review at PHONESCOOP.COM of his use of the 6310i for web surfing with his portable Mac.

Alas, although the 6310i and the Mac "see one another", they do not maintain a connection for longer than 2-3 seconds and iSync is simply not supported. It does appear that the Mac can use the 6310i for web surfing...but that is not the use I need.

As a film producer, I need a phone that syncs with my Macs for exchanging contact data.

It is with deep regret, not fury, that I must now shop for a non-Nokia solution. I have ruled out the 3650 because it is not the kind of phone that I feel comfortable using as a business person. I fell in love with the 6310i the moment it arrived yesterday. It's a beautiful example of everything I cherish about your company's phones: the refinement, attention to detail, improvements in form factor and battery life and functionality.

But it doesn't sync up with my Mac. It comes so close...and then it simply doesn't make it.

I use the latest version of Mac OS X (10.2.6) and the latest version of iSync (1.1). It bothers me to see the huge selection of Sony Ericsson phones supporting my platform of choice, while my cellular phone company of choice offers up only one offering, and one seemingly targetted at nonprofessional users.

PLEASE make support of Mac OS X a priority. Apple has 8 million OS X users and growing. A small market by your global standards, but a substantial number nonetheless. And these are users like me who are technophiles and quickly become vociferous and loyal advocates of excellent, market-leading technologies. Nokia should be the prime choice for this group.

Nokia certainly has the ability to add whatever functionality needs to be present so that my 6310i can go just beyond connecting to my Mac and offer me the data syncing functionality that I so badly need. Whether it's in this phone or some other model, I hope Nokia will embrace the opportunity to become the preferred phone of the most discerning and intensely loyal tech buyers in the whole world, Mac users.

Until that day, I am unfortunately thrust into the position of advising the dozens of Mac users who rely on me for technology purchases to deprioritize Nokia's offerings, unless they can be happy with your one offering to them.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I await your reply, but moreover your proactive response to this market opportunity.

-Adam W. C.

andybrawer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2003, 09:19 PM

Excellent post and impressive letter.

I too am disappointed by Nokia's lack of support for iSync.

I have tried about all the Sony Ericsson phones, however, and none of them come close to the quality of the 6310i, in terms of call quality, interface, overall design. For me, I just can't give up all that.

You dead on about how this phone is "so close".

The iSync site also lists the 7650 as a compatible phone - not available in the US yet, but that's what I'm holding out for.

awcopus  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2003, 11:40 PM

Nokia's prompt response (within 12 hours...amazing for a corporation this size):

Dear Adam,

Thank you for contacting Nokia Customer Care about synchronizing the Nokia 6310i phone with your Macintosh iSync.

We are happy to hear of your general overall satisfaction with Nokia phones in the past, and regret that you have had a change of heart toward our product. Nokia is consistently working to improve the workmanship of our phones. We consider feedback an important indication of customer satisfaction. We actually do have a way to forward your request to decision makers. We have had an increase in email from Macintosh users, who have similar requests for Macintosh support, since Nokia released the Nokia 3650 phone and we forward them. Please be advised that your message has been passed onto the appropriate department for further consideration.

The Nokia 6310i phone can be connected to some Macintosh computers (PowerPC , G3, G4, PowerBook iMac, and iBook computers) for use as a modem. But, at this time, Nokia does not have synchronizing software for Macintosh. If Nokia is working on Macintosh support, it is a closely guarded secret, because we do not have current information whether there will be Macintosh support.

If you have additional questions, please contact us. Thank you for choosing Nokia for your cellular needs.

Sincerely,
Lee
Customer Care
Nokia Inc.
Nokia.com/us

awcopus  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2003, 11:44 PM

Furthermore, check out the utilities available from versiontracker.com/macosx when you type in Nokia. There is one that I'd love to get my hands on, phonemanagerX, which explicitly supports our phone (once its firmware is upgraded to 5.50, I'm stuck on 5.1...help!). Unfortunately, it's also difficult to download this utility. I mean, impossible.

Anyway, I'm going to put together a little letter-writing campaign for Mac/Nokia users who want support for OSX/iSync. I bet we let them know there are a bunch of us, they'll respond with more products. Seems like that kind of company.

Quinn
Jul 20, 2003, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by andybrawer:
The iSync site also lists the 7650 as a compatible phone - not available in the US yet, but that's what I'm holding out for.
The 7650 will not be released in the US as its not a tri-band phone. The closest thing you will get is the 3650, which is a great phone despite its odd appearance. Its also got support for MMC cards which the 7650 does not.

Forum Links
Forum Rules