Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Replacing My G4 Powerbook Screen - Using the Extra Pixels

Replacing My G4 Powerbook Screen - Using the Extra Pixels
dandydan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2007, 11:34 AM

To make a long story short, my 667 Mhz G4 (onyx I think) powerbook screen broke off and I replaced it with another one that was a bit newer and thus had more pixels (higher resolution). My old screens max resolution was about 1100 x something and the new screen is 1280 x 1024 I believe.

When I fire up my computer and it's at the boot up stage where there's the light grey screen with the darker grey apple logo it uses the entire screen and works perfectly. After that though when it gets to the 'loading max os' screen it stops using the entire screen and only uses about 90% of it leaving about 1.5" on the right normally grey but sometimes rainbow and the bottom inch of the screen repeats the top of the screen so the menu's appear again at the bottom if that makes sense.

I guess I need to figure out how to tell my computer to start using the new found extra pixels but I can't figure out how to select a resolution higher than my old screen's max of about 1100 x ??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 03:05 PM

Some others, including myself, are attempting to do the same thing with adding an XGA display to a clamshell iBook, which uses SVGA.

Check it out here:

http://forums.macnn.com/73/mac-modif...cd-cd-logic/4/

From what we've figured out so far, it's some kind of problem between OS X and the logic board. OS X is looking for a specific piece of information from the display, and it expects the display to be the one that came with the PowerBook. Forcing it to see the new display is proving to be somewhat difficult.

First thing you want to do is create an Ubuntu LiveCD from the ubuntu website (ubuntu.com). Boot off it. If Ubuntu sees the full resolution of the display, you know it's an OS problem. If it doesn't, you know it's a hardware problem, like a misconfigured cable or something.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules