Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Can you stil get Ipod Mini's?

Can you stil get Ipod Mini's?
icibaqu
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2005, 12:28 AM

just asking.

and at what price?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2005, 12:32 AM

i was just looking at them at my school's campus bookstore. they're $229 for the 6gb.

jabackes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2005, 04:52 PM

The Apple Company store in Cupertino seems to have a pretty good selection of the Mini still... they're not any cheaper than they were before, but it was that way at every store i went to... so if you need a fix and live in the bay area, take a trip to "Mecca" and get a mini.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2005, 05:14 PM

you could get a refurbed mini from the apple store, i think they have a bunch on there

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

{PHOTON}Mazz1020
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2005, 07:40 PM

man im not sure if the nano really should have compleatly replaced the mini......
Strangers have the best candy

Geezus_Aach
Oct 3, 2005, 12:56 PM

i too am looking for a mini. hoping now that the nano hype is hitting the market, i figure you can get a steal on a ipod mini. i dont plan on using it for photos, and the scratch resistant feature is important to me. anybody know of the cheapest place to buy one?

btw, www.compusa.com has 4gb minis at $199. but the $159 price for a refurb mini from apple is looking good...
Tangerine iMac 400DV, 1GB ram, 60GB hdd, OS X 10.3.9
Black iPod Video - 60GB

wish list:

Mac mini 1.25GHz, 1GB ddr ram, 40GB hdd, OS X 10.4
or
iMac 20"

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2005, 03:31 PM

I just sold my mini for around $159. Good to know I didn't gypped on that sale price.

Yes, Apple was right to have the nano be the replacement for the mini. Have you used one? They're fantastically better.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

discotronic
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2005, 04:47 PM

At least with the mini there was a somewhat scratch resistant casing and songs could be transferred with firewire. To me the size of the nano doesn't make up for the lack of these features.

quote68
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2005, 09:28 AM

My sister has had 3 mini failures in her ipod experience. That alone would make me avoid them, not to mention all the broken ones that show up on ebay.
dual G4 overclocked, blessed, and liquid cooled with jesus water. +5 to ogres and paladins! Nyar!

selowitch
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2005, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Apfhex
Yes, Apple was right to have the nano be the replacement for the mini. Have you used one? They're fantastically better.
In your opinion, what are the specifc improvements of the nano over the mini?

quote68
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2005, 09:51 AM

No moving parts, smaller, and a lot less chance of something happening to the hard drive. Also, thinner. And better looking. Color screen.
dual G4 overclocked, blessed, and liquid cooled with jesus water. +5 to ogres and paladins! Nyar!

Geezus_Aach
Oct 5, 2005, 12:31 PM

there are a lot of improvements w/ the nano...just none of which i need. except for maybe no moving parts...
Tangerine iMac 400DV, 1GB ram, 60GB hdd, OS X 10.3.9
Black iPod Video - 60GB

wish list:

Mac mini 1.25GHz, 1GB ddr ram, 40GB hdd, OS X 10.4
or
iMac 20"

selowitch
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2005, 03:39 PM

NMP would improve reliability, no?

enomehjashik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2005, 07:59 PM

i dont think it looks better

its too long for something so thin. it looks really unproportional from my POV
if it was shorter i think it would look better.

NMP big improvement, i think so. but 4gigs? not an improvement at all.

im kinda bummed, i was going to use my 40g 3g ipod as a portable harddrive and get a 6 gb ipod mini w/ color screen, which a couple months ago i thought was the next logical release.

samsung has 16g chips maybe i wait for a player equiped with that.

the size of the mini was awesome. and i see ipod minis still sold but not at any significant discount.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2005, 08:14 PM

I'm still waiting for the iPod nada. It's so small that it's invisible.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2005, 10:49 PM

You can still get them in China, they are still trying to give them the most store space to get rid of them.

mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2005, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by enomehjashik
i dont think it looks better

its too long for something so thin. it looks really unproportional from my POV
if it was shorter i think it would look better.

NMP big improvement, i think so. but 4gigs? not an improvement at all.

im kinda bummed, i was going to use my 40g 3g ipod as a portable harddrive and get a 6 gb ipod mini w/ color screen, which a couple months ago i thought was the next logical release.

samsung has 16g chips maybe i wait for a player equiped with that.

the size of the mini was awesome. and i see ipod minis still sold but not at any significant discount.
The Samsung chips are already out and in use. They are not sixteen GIGABYTE, which is what I think you are thinking...they are sixteen GIGABIT, meaning that each chip essentially is capable of holding 2GB of data. The Nano uses one or two chips depending on the model, meaning 2GB or 4GB, respectively.

volcano
Senior User
Oct 7, 2005, 11:20 AM

Enomehjashik, mad cow disease is right. Besides that, even if there were a 16GB or even an 8GB model - the price would be outrageous due to the high cost of the chip. I'd expect an 8GB version to be at least $449-$500. Then you'd be complaining about the price. Apple made a smart move to wait until the price on these units drop - but its amazing thus far that they can release a 4GB model for only $249. Right now, that's essentially unheard of in the mp3 player market.

Also, if the length of the Nano were shortened, the ability to control and utilize the click wheel would be nearly impossible. The length compromises for the loss of width - it balances everything out so one-handed operation is still possible.

enomehjashik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2005, 01:49 PM

apple didnt exactly wait, they bought half of what samsung can provide.

even if it was shorter you can still have one handed operation.

how bout a thin player that is slider designed like my samsung d500. instead of the keys put a scroll wheel. of course it would be thiner than my d500 and it can be shorter, but a bit thicker than the nano since it slides. but of course you wouldnt want to skip on the remote control feature.
( Last edited by enomehjashik; Oct 7, 2005 at 02:17 PM. )

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2005, 03:38 PM

Yes, I still see them at stores everywhere.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

astepanuks
Oct 9, 2005, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by nredman
you could get a refurbed mini from the apple store, i think they have a bunch on there
What is the difference between refurbished and new? When you buy a refurb from the Apple, does it come in as new condition?
andy
( Last edited by astepanuks; Oct 9, 2005 at 01:33 AM. Reason: added a question)
MBP 2.16 Ghz, intel iMac 1.83 Ghz, PB 1.67 Ghz, Sawtooth 400 Mhz, iPod mini 4GB

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by selowitch
In your opinion, what are the specifc improvements of the nano over the mini?
I have to admit, when I posted that I was really stoked because I had just taken a trip to the local Apple Store for the first time. My initial impressions were 1.) The bright color screen compared to the mini. I've never used an iPod photo so it was an even stronger impression. 2.) The size. I fell in love with my mini when I first got it because of it's compact size compared to my 1st-gen iPod. Same goes for the nano, and the Shuffle above that (I probably won't be truly happy until they make an iPod Watch that's no larger than today's digital watches, with wireless headphones). 3.) The black version is so pretty... oooh 4.) I think flash-based storage is a good thing.

What I can say in favor of the mini though. I didn't use any add-ons with my mini, I know some people are disappointed about the lack of compatibility with them on the nano. I hear the nano can get easily damaged? The mini is built very solid, except that the click wheel seemed to get marked up a bit (marks could be rubbed off).

I chose the Shuffle because physical size and battery are my primary concerns with a digital music player, but if I wanted more (like more storage and a screen) I would probably have still sold my mini and gotten a nano.

I noticed you can find a number of supposedly new, unopened mini's on eBay, you might want to check them out.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2005, 11:16 AM

Searching for another question, I found this...so I'll add my 2 cents.
My wife's mini was replaced under warranty by a black nano, maybe they don't have many mini's left...

italiano
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2005, 04:20 PM

I'm sitting on 17 Pink ones and 1 blue one (most are 6GB a few 4GB) - 4 are on Ebay right now... We bought up all the PINK Minis we could get from the refurbished Apple stock cause we knew they'd go crazy on Ebay at Christmas - especially PINK as The Today Show showed the top 5 gifts for girls this season and an Ipod was in the top 3 - so PINK for girls! Hehehe - love EBAY!
Visit us on the web @ strangedogs.com for FREE SPEECH and Video Card Flashing.

Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2005, 04:50 PM

Unreal...do a completed ebay search for ipod mini pink and you get 2-3 pages of pink minis that sold for $350. I don't get it -- why wouldn't someone just buy their kid a nano with a pink case? Good call buying those refurbs!

Forum Links
Forum Rules