Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Most ridiculous client request

Most ridiculous client request
Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2006, 06:47 PM

I just had a client ask why whenever she performed a search on one of the sites we're building that it brought up results for previous searches from her intranet?!? Which sounded a bit weird to us.

After a bit of research it was painfully obvious that she was asking us to remove the AUTOFILL from her PC IE

Anyone else had any stoopid requests lately?
Computer thez nohhh...

registered_user
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2006, 09:11 PM

Not mine, but a great one:

"Please remove Wednesdays from the internet, we are closed on Wednesday"

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2006, 09:54 PM

Well if you can forget that you know about autofill for a minute or two, it is not that dumb of a question, and not that dumb to think that something that happens on a website is caused by the website.

And it does not help either that most browser developers do not make it obvious that there is an autofill feature and it is usually enabled by default.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Simon Mundy  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2006, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by madmacgames
Well if you can forget that you know about autofill for a minute or two, it is not that dumb of a question, and not that dumb to think that something that happens on a website is caused by the website.

And it does not help either that most browser developers do not make it obvious that there is an autofill feature and it is usually enabled by default.
Yeah, I agree with you but I was just letting off steam after a particularly long week.
Computer thez nohhh...

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2006, 01:43 AM

yeah I know what you mean. And that we web developers tend to often get assigned responsibility for things beyond our control (like things the browser does on its own) does not help in the stress department
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

skalie
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2006, 08:50 AM

I was confused for a while how a site knew what my search words were going to be, (checking out the job climate using keywords, html, flash), yep, autofill.

But back on subject, I was asked an hour ago if I could put together a content management system for a PhpNuke site.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2006, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by skalie
But back on subject, I was asked an hour ago if I could put together a content management system for a PhpNuke site.
Sounds pretty easy to me…
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2006, 07:13 PM

I just got a, "Can you not have it scroll?"

I told them, "no", in so many words, backed up with stats, etc.

jay3ld
Senior User
Jan 31, 2006, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by skalie
I was confused for a while how a site knew what my search words were going to be, (checking out the job climate using keywords, html, flash), yep, autofill.

i hoped you explained to them phpnuke is a cms.. i have had a few weird requests but not any recently. i got good at explaining in better more understandable words of what they wanted but didn't know the words to. Can't blame them for not knowing the web developing world. to them the site is just a site that is there for them, no thought or care on the person/people keeping that site running.

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2006, 11:23 PM

just today I had this:

client: can you have a calendar pop up so we dont have to email the people on what days we have available (for a B&B).

me: sure. who will maintain the calendar?

client: oh - I guess we'll just email them instead.
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

Simon Mundy  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2006, 06:32 AM

A designer who advertises that he makes 'websites' had us build them for him, and he insisted that the logo appeared as 1.75cm x 1.75cm. So, not wanting to waste 30 minutes of my life explaining that cm aint cm on the web, I opened photoshop and used the 72dpi to make a 1.75cm image.

Naturally, he complained it was too big. Why? He was measuring the logo size on his monitor with a wooden ruler when it was set to 640 x 480px.... :/
Computer thez nohhh...

skalie
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2006, 07:03 AM

I was trying to explain the difference between ASP and PHP the other day with my boss while we were discussing hosting options. I then said that a lot of the applications use ASP.NET, which is a highly rated method of making larger interactive websites.

We then moved on to what makes a decent website, and I showed him Apple.com.

He then asked if Apple.com was also made with ASP.NET.

I must have turned into a nerd, as I laughed out loud.

( er, Apple wouldn't use .net, would they? )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2006, 12:59 PM

I doubt Apple uses .NET, since their site runs on FreeBSD.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Lava Lamp Freak
Feb 2, 2006, 02:02 PM

My favorite question this week is "Can we do it with Flash?" I hear this question every day. I'm going to start telling people that there was a massive explosion that destroyed the Flash factory, so unfortunately we can't use it anymore.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2006, 03:23 PM

We just had that request today; we said, "sure we can do that." It has to do this, and will cost $$$$.

Guess what they said?

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak
My favorite question this week is "Can we do it with Flash?" I hear this question every day. I'm going to start telling people that there was a massive explosion that destroyed the Flash factory, so unfortunately we can't use it anymore.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 2, 2006, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I doubt Apple uses .NET, since their site runs on FreeBSD.
Uh, www.apple.com says right at the bottom: "Powered by Mac OS X Server".

Indeed, nearly of Apple's servers are running Mac OS X Server, then some Linux (mostly outsourced servers like Akamai's), and then a handful of others.

Search for ".apple.com" on Netcraft.com to see what it reports for each host name.

tooki

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2006, 11:59 PM

That made me laugh out loud. Thank You.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

MrsLarry
Senior User
Feb 3, 2006, 01:50 PM

currently i'm working on a project for a friend of my CEO - yeah, we won't even go into that - but the client wants me to design a template for all future email marketing endeavors, they want hip, urban looking, and images of the product they sell. Ok, no problem right? Wrong, the budget is $0, because it's a favor, they don't actually HAVE any images to use, and just asked me if i could use some we have housed here for another client. WHAT!?!?!? oh man, i just don't know what i'm going to do.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2006, 02:21 PM

Yes, ROFL !
I believe I'll start using that until snopes debunks it as an urban legend.

Actually, I think iomatic is onto a basic principle that I try to apply: No, nothing is ever a stupid idea - or impossible... instead it's, "Yes, that's a possibility, although there is the disadvantage of ( _______ 'The FDA has concluded it causes hemmorhoids' or whatever seems pretty understandable to a lay customer)." or "We may want to look at whether you really want to pay $20,000 extra for those features."
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Forum Links
Forum Rules