Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Is Netscape the same as Mozilla?

Is Netscape the same as Mozilla?
Dr.Michael
Mar 19, 2006, 07:11 AM

Yesterday I downloaded Netscape 7.1 for Mac and had a nostalgic look (Netscape 1.x was my first internet browser). To my surprise it looked absolutely identical to mozilla, uses the same mail folders (yes, even uses the same inbox file). Performance, rendering speed and quality - all the same. The product page says that Netscape uses parts of the open source mozilla code.

Does anyone know if there is any disadvantage using netscpe over mozilla? I am thinking of security for example.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2006, 08:00 AM

Mozilla is updated much more frequently. Netscape 7.2 came out two years ago, for example, yet it's still the version being offered for download. I don't think there's another difference.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Gordio
Mar 20, 2006, 12:10 AM

They are indeed the same. It's just mozilla is public and non-profit, wherreas netscape is profit. I think the story is that the main netscape guy got pissed at MS for IE, so he left and made his own rival (which led to firefox). mozilla was the first step to firefox.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2006, 12:25 AM

What are you talking about? Netscape predated IE.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
What are you talking about? Netscape predated IE.
And?

Where does anyone say it didn't?

The current version of Navigator has NOTHING to do with the original, however. The rendering engine (Gecko) in the current version of Navigator (and in Firefox) was not started until after IE existed.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 20, 2006, 12:45 PM

I think they are both relatively equivalent in all things, including security. I'd check to make sure though: Netscape's site should tell you all about security features.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Will
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2006, 01:01 PM

I am a new Mac user but a long time Netscape then Mozilla user. My understanding is that Netscape was a long time rival of Internet Explorer. When AOL bought Netcape, they were going to let it die so a group of volunteers started the Mozilla Foundation to keep it going. Mozilla is updated regularily by the Mozilla Foundation. Periodically Netscape (AOL) takes a 'snapshot" of Mozilla and changes logos, etc. to make it the new version of Netscape. This of course makes it not as current as Mozilla.

Mozilla is a full internet suite including browser, mail/news reader, webpage editor, etc. The foundation offers stand alone browersers like Firefox, Camino, etc. and a mail reader, Thunderbird

Dr.Michael  (op)
Mar 20, 2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Will
Periodically Netscape (AOL) takes a 'snapshot" of Mozilla and changes logos, etc. to make it the new version of Netscape. This of course makes it not as current as Mozilla.
Yes, thats also my impression.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2006, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Mozilla is updated much more frequently. Netscape 7.2 came out two years ago, for example, yet it's still the version being offered for download.
Actually the current version is, and has been for awhile, 8.1. It's just that the OS X version "isn't ready" yet (and I question if it ever will be), so Netscape on OS X is stuck back at 7.2

If you're a web developer, you'll find there will be some minor differences in rendering between Mozilla and Netscape (heck even Mozilla and Firefox with the same versions of the engine will have minor differences pop up), which is why I keep a copy around; but for practical purposes, there isn't much difference, and since the latest Netscape isn't available on OS X, I'd say maybe go with Firefox if you don't like Safari, unless Netscape gives you a nice warm nostalgic feeling, then hey use that
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2006, 07:23 PM

Netscape is more or less the same thing as an old version of "Mozilla". Netscape updates are so infrequent, however, that it's usually better to just use "Mozilla" itself.

I put these in quotes, because the actual situation is a lot more complex than it used to be. Netscape 8.0 exists, but only for Windows, and it's based on Firefox. Meanwhile, the Mozilla Foundation no longer produces the Mozilla browser as we once knew it -instead working with Firefox and Thunderbird- but the userbase has taken it up under the name Seamonkey (the old codename for the Mozilla suite). You can get Version 1.0 of Seamonkey here, and I highly recommend it for users of the Mozilla suite. Although it has the same features as Netscape and Mozilla, the underlying Gecko engine has been brought all the way up to the same version used by Firefox 1.5. The result works quite well.

Edited to fix link. Glenn
( Last edited by ghporter; Mar 20, 2006 at 09:12 PM. )
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules