Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Backup Tiger, is DVD protected?

Backup Tiger, is DVD protected?
AZUR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2005, 05:09 AM

I try to make a backup copy of the original TIger DVD. I tried Toast 6.09, diskimage etc... But none of the DVD's I wrote are bootable. Is the DVD protected? How can I make a working (bootable) backup copy?

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2005, 05:38 AM

It is copy-protected within Tiger.

timmerk
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 08:21 AM

I did it within Tiger and it worked fine. Used Disk Utility to make a DMG and then burnt that DMG. DVD backup boots fine.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by timmerk
I did it within Tiger and it worked fine. Used Disk Utility to make a DMG and then burnt that DMG. DVD backup boots fine.
I agree. I made a backup of my copy the exact same way with no issues.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2005, 09:36 AM

Did you buy them retail?

Because the retail DVDs sold here in germany will NOT burn bootable in either Toast or Disk Utility under Tiger.

Oneota
Professional Poster
May 8, 2005, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
Did you buy them retail?

Because the retail DVDs sold here in germany will NOT burn bootable in either Toast or Disk Utility under Tiger.
With all due respect, it's more likely that either your burner is bad or your burnable DVD media is bad. I've never had any issues making DMGs from Disk Utility and burning those. Always worked like a charm.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 11:19 AM

Did you buy them retail?

Yes, mine is the official retail CD. I've been making backups of my OS discs since 10.1 with no problems at all.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2005, 12:29 PM

I made a copy of my Family Pack disc with Toast 6. No problems (used it to install 10.4 on my PowerBook).

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2005, 02:03 PM

Just use COPY in toast, not making a disk image.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2005, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Oneota
With all due respect, it's more likely that either your burner is bad or your burnable DVD media is bad. I've never had any issues making DMGs from Disk Utility and burning those. Always worked like a charm.
I assure you, my burner is fine. I will say no more.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2005, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
I made a copy of my Family Pack disc with Toast 6. No problems (used it to install 10.4 on my PowerBook).
Did you burn it from within Tiger, or were you still running Panther?

Applefreak01
Senior User
May 8, 2005, 05:17 PM

I used Nero and my PC's DVD burner as my iBook is only a G3 900HMz combo drive. Worked just fine. Even reinstalled it from the copy (wanted to partition my hard drive) and it worked great.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

TailsToo
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker

This is what I had to do too - it would not let me save an image.

timmerk
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 06:34 PM

I made the backup from the retail DVD within Tiger as well. Worked just fine as I said before. I'm in the U.S.

piracy
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 06:47 PM

I can categorically guarantee that:

- The Tiger DVD is NOT protected in any way

- You can use Disk Utility to create and image of the DVD, and then burn said image

- This can be accomplished under Panther or Tiger without issue

- To repeat, the Tiger DVD is NOT protected, and Tiger does not prevent you from burning bootable, bit-for-bit duplicates of the original Tiger DVD media in any country, jurisdiction, or market

- You should not be using Toast. Just use Disk Utility. That is the Apple-supported method to make backup copies of the Mac OS X media.

(If there is a bad batch of DVDs that are somehow rendering themselves "uncopyable" by some fluke, it is NOT intentional, and not part of any comprehensive DVD protection. Repeat: the Tiger DVDs are NOT protected, and Tiger itself does NOTHING to prevent making backup copies of the Tiger DVD. The Tiger license agreement even grants the explicit right to make backups of the original media.)

AZUR  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2005, 04:17 AM

Tiger version 2Z691-5305-A
In Tiger
- I make a new dmg image file in disk utitities of the Tiger DVD,
- didn't mount it
- select the file and burnt it with disk utilities
This DVD boot!!!
( Last edited by AZUR; May 9, 2005 at 04:27 AM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2005, 04:34 AM

So, some can create a disk image with Disk Utility, some can not, some can burn bootable with Disk Utility, some cannot, piracy weighs in saying that it's not copy-protected, while dealers here are saying that it is...

woah.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2005, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
That worked for me under Panther and then under Tiger.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 9, 2005, 12:36 PM

Note that for bootable discs, it's advisable to use Disk Utility to make a disc image, and to choose "DVD/CD master" as the image format.

tooki

cybergoober
Mac Elite
May 9, 2005, 12:44 PM

That's what I do...

timmerk
Mac Elite
May 9, 2005, 05:00 PM

I didn't even use DVD/CD master, and it worked fine.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2005, 06:46 PM

Did you burn it from within Tiger, or were you still running Panther?
I was running Tiger when I make the copy of the disc with Toast 6.09. I ran Toast, inserted the DVD, hit the Copy button, hit the big red Record button, then inserted my blank when prompted. Done less than 4 minutes later (16x burner).

torifile
Mac Elite
May 9, 2005, 08:37 PM

At Duke, they distributed Tiger as a downloadable DVD image. Same as retail and it's bootable after burning. I'm not sure what the issue is for you.

HamSandwich
May 21, 2005, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by piracy
- You should not be using Toast. Just use Disk Utility. That is the Apple-supported method to make backup copies of the Mac OS X media.
Why can't I use the Copy feature in Toast 6 Titanium? I thought this feature allowed you to make exact bit-for-bit copies of unprotected (ie., no built-in copy protection methods such as Macrovision implemented) CDs/DVDs?

ChrisF
Senior User
May 21, 2005, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by asmack
Why can't I use the Copy feature in Toast 6 Titanium? I thought this feature allowed you to make exact bit-for-bit copies of unprotected (ie., no built-in copy protection methods such as Macrovision implemented) CDs/DVDs?
For some reason, Toast isn't as reliable at copying bootable discs. Sometimes it works, other times the copied disc won't start a computer. Disk Utility always works as long as the format is set to CD/DVD master.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2005, 09:36 AM

Why some people are having trouble with Toast is beyond me. I've done it twice now with the Tiger DVD and its been 100% bootable both times.

Warp9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2005, 02:19 PM

I started a thread here related to this topic so perhaps someone here can help me?

step
Forum Regular
May 23, 2005, 10:12 PM

out of interest, are you trying to boot your recordable dvd copy in a combo drive mac?
a number of these combo optical drives won't read some types of recordable dvd's at all, flat panel imacs and cubes especially...

Warp9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2005, 10:20 PM

Now that I've looked into it further I'm not interested in making backup CDs. I'll wait for the exchange CDs whenever they arrive. In the interim though I'm looking into if I can install Tiger onto my G3 from a G4 PowerBook using Target Disc Mode and firewire.

Recto Bold
May 24, 2005, 07:40 AM

It's worth repeating that the image created with Disk Copy must NOT be mounted unless locked. Mounting it unlocked will mess it up. I learned that one after a making a few coasters years ago. I backed up my Tiger DVD here in the UK and it works perfectly and a few of my US based friends and one in Switzerland have also had successs with it. Whatever is causing the problem, it's not copy protection on the DVD; There simply isn't any, no matter what a dealer may say. I don't know why Toast is so flaky with it, but I'm not going to complain about it - The app which comes for free (a relative term, I know) with my Mac does a perfect job of it, which is pretty cool as far as I am concerned.

Hope you get it sorted.

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
May 25, 2005, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Why some people are having trouble with Toast is beyond me. I've done it twice now with the Tiger DVD and its been 100% bootable both times.
No Problems here too.
I have created a disk image from a UK-family pack version of Tiger with Toast 5.0.3 on OS 10.3.8 and burned it also with Toast. No problems at all.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 25, 2005, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Recto Bold
It's worth repeating that the image created with Disk Copy must NOT be mounted unless locked. Mounting it unlocked will mess it up.
Balderdash.

It's even possible to modify Mac OS X disc images, and the burn will still be bootable. (I speak from first hand experience with both Jaguar and Panther discs. I'm making the assumption that Tiger is the same.)

tooki

Recto Bold
May 25, 2005, 12:08 PM

Well, that told me, didn't it.....?

In all seriousness, all I can go by is my own experience.

If you have some knowledge to share with regard to why unlocked images work for you and why they don't for me and my colleagues, then I'd genuinely be interested to hear it, since I'd like to learn more about it. FWIW, unlocked previously mounted images of Jaguar and Panther never worked for us either.

Maybe it is drive specific? My G5 has a 106D installed, although I would need to check what units were installed in the other boxes we have here. There's a range of them since many are G4's. I can't see why one would work and one wouldn't but then it appears that Toast works to burn Tiger for some and not for others, so there's obviously something going on.

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2005, 03:22 PM

I am wondering, what type of media are you using. Some people don't realize that there is a difference between DVD-R and DVD+R. Even those who have a high technology knowledge. Maybe you wrote the DVD on DVD+R media and the drive didn't recognize it.

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2005, 04:10 PM

You can definitely modify the disk image. There was a tutorial for Panther that showed you how to take all three CDs from the original install and increase the size of the first image. You could then copy the other CDs to the first image and modify some plists and then burn a bootable DVD. I used this all the time to avold swapping CDs during installs. I only made one master DVD, but it worked on around 100 computers here at work just fine.
--Laurence

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 03:40 PM

Obviously, what works for some is not working for all.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

oquela
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2005, 01:07 AM

I just got Tiger last wk, and tried backing it up before I installed it. I tried the following:
Toast 5.x (OS 9 and OS X) DVD to DVD-r copy option = bootable but couldn' t install due to "errors" on destination disk
Toast 5.x (both OSs) copy from image = kernel panics at startup
Toast 6 = bootable but couldn' t install due to "errors" (same as above)
Nero 5.x (on a PC, using straight copy, and from image) = bootable but couldn' t install due to "errors"
Original Tiger disk: worked (tried it last)

Maybe it's my media, (Ritek and ProDisk) but I'm guessing that it may be more than that (some kind of copy protection). Most people who have "success" backing up these install disks measure that success by that they're "Bootable." So are mine, but they just won't install. Maybe it is the permissions on the original disk??? Maybe some kind of checksum of the sys folder on the install disk is being performed, but again, no success with my backup(s)

Any other suggestions, because I really don't want to use the original more than once or twice?

timmerk
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2005, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by oquela
Most people who have "success" backing up these install disks measure that success by that they're "Bootable."
No, my copies are bootable and I install from them. They install perfectly, and run fine.

It's probably your dvds and/or dvd burner. It works fine with a superdrive for me and Disk Utility from 10.3 and 10.4 to burn copies.

osxpinot
Senior User
Jun 15, 2005, 03:04 AM

CloneCD on Windoze works really well for these. I copied it to a DVD+R with bit setting, and it works like a charm in ANY mac with a DVD player.

version
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2005, 05:39 AM

I had to do this yesterday, and worked fine. I used Toast's "copy" function to make a bootable copy of my retail Tiger disk. Did it within Tiger, too.
A Jew with a view.

Forum Links
Forum Rules