Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Facebook Doesn't Care

Facebook Doesn't Care
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2020, 08:57 AM

So Facebook is finally getting some attention for allowing interference and disruption in democratic elections. For some reason everyone is assuming that the US and western Europe is exempt despite numerous mentions to the contrary.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...tleblower-memo
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Sep 17, 2020, 07:25 AM

what got me is they still don't plan to ban russian troll farm posts... it can't be that they can't track them. Is it all about the rubles?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2020, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
what got me is they still don't plan to ban russian troll farm posts... it can't be that they can't track them. Is it all about the rubles?
Yes. Conspiracy bullshit and fake accounts are monetizable interaction.

Judging from my bubble, a sizable portion of facebook's actual usage stems from interaction with political/conspiracy bullshit.

If they actually cut fake news from US politics or Brexit or medical topics, for example, they'd lose easily three quarters of their stories, no? Not to mention the MASSIVE bot-fuelled "discussions" underneath "controversial" (well, manufactured controversies) topics.

They'd be in serious trouble.

Also, they have at least one avid racist and right-wing crackpot on the board: Peter Thiel:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...m_term=4ldqpgc

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2020, 02:15 PM

Throw in Apple killing half their ad revenue and hopefully some buyers will see these stories and start to wonder how many fake accounts are eating their ad credit up and maybe its time for FB to just die.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2020, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Throw in Apple killing half their ad revenue and hopefully some buyers will see these stories and start to wonder how many fake accounts are eating their ad credit up and maybe its time for FB to just die.
Good point. Monetisation means taking cash from advertisers on the understanding that you are delivering reliable eyeballs and minds. Zombies, bots and Russian botnets don't buy stuff but do consume revenue. At some point FBs biggest advertisers may start to except some influence. Maybe.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Thorzdad
Sep 17, 2020, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Apple put a hold on that security move, though. I’m not sure what their new timetable is for pushing it out now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules