Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 Dual Front Firewire issues when Capturing DV

G5 Dual Front Firewire issues when Capturing DV
Elderloc
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2003, 04:53 PM

My new Dual G5 seems to have major issues when i try to capture Dv with the front Firewire port. It does this in FCP 4 and iMovie. But when I use the back port it works just fine. Anyone else had this issue?
Elderloc

We were just a bunch of sawgie old men eating egg salad sandwitches in a card board box, playing tease the wild wolverine in a confind space.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2003, 06:45 PM

I don't know, it would help to be a bit more specific about the problem you're having. Maybe you've stumbled on to a bug with Rev A, if you've verified there are problems with the front port that you're not experiencing with the back. Make sure your front connection is secure.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2003, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
Maybe you've stumbled on to a bug with Rev A, if you've verified there are problems with the front port that you're not experiencing with the back.
A single problem from a single user. I don't think I'd be so quick as to claim this as a hardware bug of the Rev A's. Perhaps that single firewire port is just on the glitch?

Try the obvious things first, like using a different firewire cable.

killergator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2003, 09:02 PM

been using the front firewire port to capture video for final cut express for the better part of a week now. It works great. no problems here.
If you ain't a Gator...You're Gatorbait

stian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2003, 02:22 PM

Elderloc:
My new Dual G5 seems to have major issues when i try to capture Dv with the front Firewire port.
I've seen other people having this problem when using both the front and the back port. If that's thew case with you, try using one of them at a time and see if that helps.
Stian

SuperM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2003, 11:19 PM

I have a Sony Handycam connected to my G5 front port and an external Firewire drive connected to my rear port. No problems capturing DV here either.
- SuperM

Apple //e -> Apple IIGS -> Performa 6200 -> B&W G3 350 (400) -> G5 2.0 DP

SuperM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2003, 11:28 PM

Could it be your videocam? Have you tried another to see if it happens with that one as well?
- SuperM

Apple //e -> Apple IIGS -> Performa 6200 -> B&W G3 350 (400) -> G5 2.0 DP

Forum Links
Forum Rules