Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I am tired of hearing about hatefulness, belittling, meanness, etc.

I am tired of hearing about hatefulness, belittling, meanness, etc. (Page 2)
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 3, 2007, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Why lol? For the most part it is true. Hostile/attacking people usually have insecurity complexes. As a matter of fact, most psychologists often treat young bullies by first finding out what their insecurities are. Once they can get them over those, the bullying usually goes away. Bullying usually stems from self defense mechanisms built in hoping others wont see the weakness we see or perceive in ourselves.

Of course no one that does this would ever admit to it being the case. That would go against the self defense mechanisms. Often those that practice such behavior also belittle any explanation as to why it's being done for the very same insecure reasons.

But if you ask them if they are insecure, they will deny it, and then react in defensive mode usually with more "bullying" or "character assassinations"

Just watch the replies to this post.
It seems then that you didn’t notice. I wasn’t laughing at the content of the post, but rather the fact that it was a (quite accurate) jab at your very own posting style.

I’m a sucker for a bit of parody, tasteful or not.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 3, 2007, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
It seems then that you didn’t notice. I wasn’t laughing at the content of the post, but rather the fact that it was a (quite accurate) jab at your very own posting style.
Actually he didn't get my posting style right at all. But only what I (and most psychologist) have to say on the matter. He was being condescending about it too. Of course if anyone asks "It was just a joke"
Another self defense mechanism one used when saying something they shouldn't have in order to make the person they said it to look in the wrong instead of themselves.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 3, 2007, 02:14 PM

Actually he didn't get my posting style right at all.
All he had to do was use the word "said" in that manner and include some sort of psychoanalysis and he has you pegged.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2007, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
All he had to do was use the word "said" in that manner and include some sort of psychoanalysis and he has you pegged.
Don't forget some Judge Judy style inane commentary/psychoanalysis chastising people for their inane commentary...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2007, 02:29 PM

If only the perpetual motion of these discussions could be used to power the world.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2007, 02:30 PM

It's replaced the hamsters originally running this place, at least.

Now if only the manure posted here were compostable...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2007, 02:32 PM

I think we should put Kevin and some sort of Bickerbot 2000 on a wheel and let them power this place.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2007, 02:33 PM

For those curious, here is a picture of the Bickerbot 2000 model:

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 3, 2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
If only the perpetual motion of these discussions could be used to power the world.
Are you nuts? We’d be spiralling off towards the Sun faster than... erm... an, erm... a runaway asteroid!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2007, 02:38 PM

Don't worry guys, I'm working on making the Bickerbot 2000 methane powered to help lower MacNN's electricity bills.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2007, 02:39 PM

Don't you think that your inane posts everytime Kevin uses "said" became tiresome quite a while ago ?

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2007, 02:42 PM

I'm sensing some hatefulness, belittling, and meanness in this thread.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 3, 2007, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Don't you think that your inane posts everytime Kevin uses "said" became tiresome quite a while ago ?

-t
Yes, my huge string of...what...THREE posts? Don't you think everything you post ("Pluth won," "Only in *, oh wai...," etc) gets old?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2007, 03:22 PM

What this thread needs is to turn that frown upside down.

Maybe it's time for a besson3c butt showing?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 3, 2007, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
What this thread needs is to turn that frown upside down.

Maybe it's time for a besson3c butt showing?
I take it, then, that by ‘frown’ you are actually referring to the contents of our collective stomachs?

Railroader
Banned
Dec 3, 2007, 03:46 PM

-t
Only in Ame.... errr turleland.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 3, 2007, 03:56 PM

That's like saying "Put a mustache and a cigar on and you are just like Groucho Marks"

BTW quoting to the post I made before this.

Originally Posted by Kevin
Just watch the replies to this post.
I was so right on there.

Not only that, wait till the replies to this post get made.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2007, 03:58 PM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2007, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Only in Ame.... errr turleland.
So you find Laminar's repeated posts about Kevin's "said" thing interesting ?

Boy, your life must be boring...

-t

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2007, 04:08 PM

Oh please just look at this thread and you see who is the king of inane threads and you'll see that Besson takes the crown hands down.
( Last edited by MacosNerd; Dec 3, 2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: unduly harsh)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2007, 04:17 PM

So, macdude,

is this thread the raving success you'd hoped for?

I think it might be time to jump ship.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Oh please just look at this thread and you see who is the king of inane threads and you'll see that Besson takes the crown hands down.
There is a difference between inane posts that put people on the defensive vs. those that don't, unless you are offended by pooping crayons...

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2007, 04:43 PM

There is a difference between inane posts that put people on the defensive vs. those that don't, unless you are offended by pooping crayons...
inane posts, regardless if they don't put people on the defensive are still inane posts

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2007, 04:51 PM

This thread makes me tired. I think I'm just gonna go ahead, and not do any work this afternoon.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2007, 04:55 PM

Kevin, analogika, besson3c, MacosNerd and probably a bunch of other people should just arrange for a nice evening out in a pub or something like that and I'm sure all hostilities and bickering would be a thing of the past.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2007, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
inane posts, regardless if they don't put people on the defensive are still inane posts
You have the uncanny ability to argue things against ideas which never existed.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Faust View Post
Kevin, analogika, besson3c, MacosNerd and probably a bunch of other people should just arrange for a nice evening out in a pub or something like that and I'm sure all hostilities and bickering would be a thing of the past.
Possibly...

I need to just let people bicker and stay out of these conversations. They never go anywhere anyway...

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 3, 2007, 05:37 PM

I'd be all for it. BTW I've learn to accept the inane as long as the intentions are decent. There are a lot of things I overlook now that I used to not before. Petty hatefulness I don't think I'll ever accept however.

As long as it isn't attacking anyone, I can handle the inane now. Besson can go on for days about pooping and I wont care. It's pretty inane to complain about when there are worse things going on.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 3, 2007, 05:43 PM

BTW here is an interesting quote from Lilly Allen

Allen is well known for publicly attacking every celebrity with abandon. “A lot of that stuff I said was because I didn’t feel confident,” she says. “”I felt like, ‘Oh God, I’m short, fat, ugly…and I hate all these people who flaunt their beauty.’ Ever since a kid I’ve felt like I’m possibly the uncoolest, naffest person ever to walk the earth. But I feel great at the moment. I actually don’t have one bad thing to say about anything.”

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2007, 05:45 PM

What does Lilly Allen have to say about beating a dead horse into the ground?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2007, 06:06 PM

-t
Like I said before. My THREE posts about his habit are NOTHING compared to your tireless efforts to make a joke work.

That's like saying "Put a mustache and a cigar on and you are just like Groucho Marks"
Yep, it's called a parody, and it apparently triggered some sort of self-defense mechanism in you that shows your insecurities resulting in character assassinations, hyperbole, and baseless accusations. I respondeded!1!!!

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2007, 06:12 PM

BTW here is an interesting quote from Lilly Allen

Allen is well known for publicly attacking every celebrity with abandon. “A lot of that stuff I said was because I didn’t feel confident,” she says. “”I felt like, ‘Oh God, I’m short, fat, ugly…and I hate all these people who flaunt their beauty.’ Ever since a kid I’ve felt like I’m possibly the uncoolest, naffest person ever to walk the earth. But I feel great at the moment. I actually don’t have one bad thing to say about anything.”
I think this is precisely the issue. I don't mind being lectured (if it's something new, that is). I see you lecturing other people on the forums on their motives for practicing a certain behaviour, yet in the same breath you criticise bessonc3 for lecturing other people when it comes to technical stuff. Best example is the Toast 8 thread. And I see besson3c criticising you for the same things. Of course, this type of stuff seems to involve more people than just the two of you, but you two seem the most penetrant when it comes to arguing. "If you hate something, don't you do it too?" ... I don't mind this stuff much.

This is just the observation of an outsider (me). If someone has something to say that allows me to learn something new, perfect! If it turns into a useless 5-bazillion-page-powerplay with no substance, I just move on and close the thread or look for a Mac related forum with less pre-Kindergarten behaviour among regulars because it can become a real turn off.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2007, 06:43 PM

Like I said before. My THREE posts about his habit are NOTHING compared to your tireless efforts to make a joke work.
WTF are you talking about ?

The only one trying to make a joke work is you baiting Kevin.

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2007, 06:50 PM

WTF are you talking about ?

The only one trying to make a joke work is you baiting Kevin.

-t
Then what do you call your "Pluth Won," "Only in *...oh wait," etc. posts? Wit? Surely not.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2007, 06:51 PM

Then what do you call your "Pluth Won," "Only in *...oh wait," etc. posts? Wit? Surely not.
You are a broken record. Go die.

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2007, 06:55 PM

Railroader
Banned
Dec 3, 2007, 07:02 PM

-t
A lot more interesting than your repeated bad jokes.

Obviously not as boring as yours.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 3, 2007, 07:03 PM

You are a broken record. Go die.

-t
My God man, stop with the irony already!!!

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2007, 09:00 PM

You have the uncanny ability to argue things against ideas which never existed.
You mean you not creating inane posts

Wow you really are delusional.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2007, 12:01 AM

wow, i'm trying to figure out if you all are purposely being over the top in *********gery or everyone is on the rag.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2007, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer View Post
wow, i'm trying to figure out if you all are purposely being over the top in *********gery or everyone is on the rag.
Douche-baggery? Spleenbuggery? Mouse-forgery?

Inquiring minds wish to know.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 4, 2007, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
What does Lilly Allen have to say about beating a dead horse into the ground?
If the horse is still walking, it's not dead?
Yep, it's called a parody, and it apparently triggered some sort of self-defense mechanism in you that shows your insecurities resulting in character assassinations, hyperbole, and baseless accusations.
No... but atleast you are at peace with what you are doing it seems. Not so sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.
I think this is precisely the issue. I don't mind being lectured (if it's something new, that is). I see you lecturing other people on the forums on their motives for practicing a certain behaviour, yet in the same breath you criticise bessonc3 for lecturing other people when it comes to technical stuff. Best example is the Toast 8 thread. And I see besson3c criticising you for the same things. Of course, this type of stuff seems to involve more people than just the two of you, but you two seem the most penetrant when it comes to arguing. "If you hate something, don't you do it too?" ... I don't mind this stuff much.

This is just the observation of an outsider (me). If someone has something to say that allows me to learn something new, perfect! If it turns into a useless 5-bazillion-page-powerplay with no substance, I just move on and close the thread or look for a Mac related forum with less pre-Kindergarten behaviour among regulars because it can become a real turn off.
Like Ive said. I've gone on to ignore the more trivial pointless posts. The hateful ones, the ones out to attack others are the only ones you'll see me saying anything about anymore.

BTW I never said I was perfect. Or that I didn't do these things. I said that we all should work together so we DON'T do it. Most everyone in this forum is guilty of it. Even you.

As for the rest of your post, I agree.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2007, 06:52 AM

I lecture people on here? Hardly. I barely post here!I have better things to do. Now, please don't tell me I'm in denial or insecure of my own feelings. I'm in therapy.
I did say that I agree that xenophobia is a term that seemed out of place in one of these threads. That is not lecturing, that is barely observing the use of a terminus within context. Hardly the same thing. And please, this is just my opinion. I do not wish to argue with you or anyone else.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 4, 2007, 06:56 AM

I lecture people on here? Hardly. I barely post here!I have better things to do.
Well you just lectured me in your last post didn't you? Yes, yes you did. See not always do we notice it when we do it. It's the ones that are doing it purposely that usually cause problems.

I honestly believe you didn't realize you were doing to same thing you were criticizing me for. Because when we do these things, we think we are doing it for the right reasons. And I am not talking about this. This is what I would consider constructive criticism. I am speaking about those that constantly belittle or attack in condescending ways. The toast thread really wasn't me doing that however. As other people pointed out in said thread that I was right on with my constructive criticism.

I think everyone here has launched criticism against another person. That isn't what I am referring to. There is a difference between constructive, and destructive criticism. My point was, usually the people that do the latter, don't like themselves very well. So in a way, I feel remorse for these people that they are so miserable that they have to lash out at people and attack them in destructive ways. BTW I didn't see your post as destructive criticism. And I'll be the first to admit I am not perfect, or when I am wrong. My history speaks for itself.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2007, 06:59 AM

Well you just lectured me in your last post didn't you? Yes, yes you did. See not always do we notice it when we do it. It's the ones that are doing it purposely that usually cause problems.

I honestly believe you didn't realize you were doing to same thing you were criticizing me for. Because when we do these things, we think we are doing it for the right reasons. And I am not talking about this. This is what I would consider constructive criticism. I am speaking about those that constantly belittle or attack in condescending ways.
I am not lecturing you. I am obsering what I see/read on these forums. I am not telling you WHY you do what you do (or anyone else). I don't know you, hence it'd be completely out of my place in doing so. I have absolutely no problem with you. I have absolutely no problem with besson3c or anyone else on these forums. I see many good posts made by pretty much everyone and I see posts where I scratch my head. That is all.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 4, 2007, 07:13 AM

I am not lecturing you. I am obsering what I see/read on these forums.
You were lecturing me Faust. You wrote a speech about my actions and made a judgment based on them. You made constructive criticism remarks. This is a lecture. Not in the tone in which I was complaining about, but a lecture non-the-less. I didn't mind it, and even to a certain extent agreed with you. And we did it without making personal jabs or getting condescending.
I am not telling you WHY you do what you do (or anyone else). I don't know you, hence it'd be completely out of my place in doing so.
I too didn't tell any specific person WHY they did things. I have said why a lot of people do these things. And it's not my opinion. This is what psych majors have found out to be true. Most of the people that attack others in hateful ways do so because they are not happy with themselves. That doesn't involve constructive criticism. What I did in the Toast thread, and what you did in this thread.

Having said that I am SURE I have been guilty of destructive criticism. And probably during that time, I didn't like myself too well either. But I can admit that.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2007, 07:51 AM

lecture ≠ observation

Just saying. The world lecture has connotations that are outside it's dictionary definition.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2007, 10:18 AM

Don't worry guys, I'm working on making the Bickerbot 2000 methane powered to help lower MacNN's electricity bills.
I have a hate fueled Bitch-Bot - maybe they should hookup so that we may end this madness.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2007, 10:23 AM

I'll get the videotape.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I'll get the videotape.
I'll need that on VHS. (long story involving a screwdriver, my maid, and 1000mg of DMT)

BTW Welcome to the forums! We always embrace new members, though few ever escape alive.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Forum Links
Forum Rules