Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Hard Disk Space

Hard Disk Space
cpa001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2006, 12:01 AM

I began the day with approximately 210 GB of space on the hard drive and now I have 204 GB. I only installed today's Intel iMac firmware update, which is, what, 10 MB? How could this have happened? The only other possibility, I'm guessing, is that I watched about 10 or more videos on Google's current.tv site. Does anyone know what could've happened?

Also, if this website's videos are the reason, then where do I go to delete these files?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 07:31 AM

Two things contributed the the loss of 6gig of space. first is virtual memory, osx uses hard drive space for VM. the other is cache space for the videos you watched. Clear out your cache and reboot the machine. You'll see most if not all of the 6 gig return.

If your curious as to how much disk space VM is using, go into the terminal. type cd /var/vm
and then type ls -al
that will give you the files and sizes that reside in the directory. You can't get there from finder because its hidden.

Mike

cpa001  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2006, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
Two things contributed the the loss of 6gig of space. first is virtual memory, osx uses hard drive space for VM. the other is cache space for the videos you watched. Clear out your cache and reboot the machine. You'll see most if not all of the 6 gig return.

If your curious as to how much disk space VM is using, go into the terminal. type cd /var/vm
and then type ls -al
that will give you the files and sizes that reside in the directory. You can't get there from finder because its hidden.

Mike
Okay, but where do I go to clear out the cache? Also, I type that line in the terminal and it said "no such file or directory." How should I type that line exactly?

Patrick

eeeaa
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2006, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by cpa001
Okay, but where do I go to clear out the cache? Also, I type that line in the terminal and it said "no such file or directory." How should I type that line exactly?

Patrick
To clear out the VM, restart your Mac.
To keep your Mac from using so much VM, increase your total RAM. It won't use as much disk space if it has room to breathe in system RAM. Check out RAMSeeker.com for more information. RAM is cheap, nowadays. RAMSeeker will probably tell you that Omni RAM is the cheapest. That's been my experience.

Don't delete the swap files yourself, by the way, or you will hang up your machine.
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by cpa001

Patrick
Here's the terminal commands
cd /var/vm
ls -al

To clear Safari's cache Click on the Safari menu, and select clear cache.

Mike
~Mike

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2006, 06:46 PM

Get something like WhatSize to show you in an easy-to-read manner where all of your disk space is going.

Forum Links
Forum Rules