Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Trouble creating a transparent GIF

Trouble creating a transparent GIF
tumb
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2006, 02:53 AM

Hello,

Example of my problem.

I don't have any trouble creating a transparent PNG with Photoshop.

But as you can see on the above exemple, when I'm saving for web (Gif format) the same picture after applying indexed colors mode, the text is pixellized and does not render well.

I've also tried to save for web from Illustrator, but still have this problem.

Thanx for your help.

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2006, 07:37 AM

Make sure the text has smoothing, the bottom layer is transparent, that and that you check Transparent and set the correct background color (#0099CC) in the "Save for web..." dialog.

Thorzdad
Dec 2, 2006, 05:10 PM

That's simply the nature of a transparent .gif. The PNG looks better because the PNG standard supports alpha-transparency. In laymen's terms...soft-edged transparency.

A transparent gif cannot do soft edges. It will always have a hard-edged transparency. Thus, you will always get "pixelated" text like that.

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2006, 04:21 AM

...provided that you need to use the picture against different backgrounds. In your case, you could get a nice, smooth look against #0099CC.

skalie
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 05:14 AM

Might not help in this case, but check out the 'matte' option when publishing as a .gif.

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2006, 07:11 AM

I could imagine that's exactly it (which I erroneously refered to as "background color" in my first post).

Thorzdad
Dec 4, 2006, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by cla View Post
...provided that you need to use the picture against different backgrounds. In your case, you could get a nice, smooth look against #0099CC.
True. But, then, what's the point of using transparency?

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2006, 02:26 PM

Good question really... Web browsers rendering colors a tad bit differently wasn't uncommon in the early days of the web. Also if you have a complex background in the same shade, the technique allows for moving the transparent gif around to a greater extent (tricking the eye since it's easier to pick up a subtle difference in color if the divider is a straight line, which would be the case in a non-transparent gif). Also for creating nice effects by using half-tone transparency.

But anyway, you're right. I guess it's just an old habit of mine. And I shouldn't be speaking of "the early days of the web" since most browsers (read "browser with the biggest market share") doesn't even support more than one transparency bit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules