Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Adobe Flex anyone?

Adobe Flex anyone?
charmdustio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2007, 03:48 PM

I wasn't sure if I should put this into Graphic Design or here but what the hell.

So we're doing some cloning work for a client and for the last few days he started talking about Flex very often and how cool it is compared to something like Flash. So we looked into it and sure enough it looks great - maybe a little incomplete but its on the right path.

I know this isn't a place to find freelancers, but we seriously tried looking for people who knew Flex in and out - apparently they're really rare.

So here I am asking any of you folks if you can recommend someone or someplace who'd know where we can find some good experienced Flex developers.

I can tell Flex hasn't gone mainstream yet, but it certainly looks like its going to get big.
( Last edited by charmdustio; Jan 28, 2007 at 06:06 PM. )

bluedog
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2007, 11:18 AM

I first heard about flex from a programming podcast. I don't recall which one, but they often have PHP stuff on it. The main commentator's name was Marcus. It sounds like a great technology and they are giving the dev stuff away for free (for now).

I'm of the mindset that internet technologies should ALL be open and freely available. This makes if for all but the technology being owned and set by Adobe. Even flash and PDF specs are available for others to build on. When it comes down to it though, I feel web technologies shouldn't rely on a corporation for their future, or I don't believe the technology will have the lasting power of a true standard that is open/free and available to scrutinize and expand as in most open source projects.

Your accessment of it being too new to have experts is about right. With anything, I expect those who are really talented to begin with can pick it up and use it. I suggest you not look for someone who is a uberelitepro with lots of experience in flex, but rather someone who has demonstrated skill and flexibility in languages/development.

andi*pandi
Jan 29, 2007, 12:28 PM

they talked a great deal about flex at the last flashforward. It is very much a programmer environment.

charmdustio  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by bluedog View Post
I suggest you not look for someone who is a uberelitepro with lots of experience in flex, but rather someone who has demonstrated skill and flexibility in languages/development.
That sounds good. I actually read more into it the other day and seems like people with decent Java or Actionscript skills can pick up on the the programming side of Flex pretty easily since Flex can handle multiple object oriented languages. So a good starting point could be to get a good core java person to do the coding and a decent flash guy who can handle the Flex Builder interface and come up with the front end.

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
they talked a great deal about flex at the last flashforward. It is very much a programmer environment.
A little too late I guess, but thanks for the tip. I was going to fly down to the states for Macworld. Would definitely have if I knew they were going to talk about future technologies for Flash. Are video's available of these conferences that were held?

skalie
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2007, 01:50 PM

Flex is very expensive I believe ( Edit: some forms of it, it appears) , waiting for Flash 9 myself before I tackle ActionScript 3.0.

( otherwise I'd be touting my services of course )

bluedog
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2007, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by skalie View Post
Flex is very expensive I believe ( Edit: some forms of it, it appears) , waiting for Flash 9 myself before I tackle ActionScript 3.0.

( otherwise I'd be touting my services of course )
You're right, I forgot they have some basic tools available and then some serious pro extras which cost a bundle.

Forum Links
Forum Rules