Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Optimising Tiger for G3 iMac - Input Appreciated!

Optimising Tiger for G3 iMac - Input Appreciated!
Koralatov
Senior User
Jan 4, 2008, 05:56 PM

I have a G3 iMac I'm giving to a friend; it's the Blue Dalmatian one in my signature, which contains the pertinent specs. It's only really going to be used for running Mail.app, Safari, Address Book, iPhoto '05, iTunes, Microsoft Word and Powerpoint and Adium. My friend isn't particularly tech-savvy, so I doubt she'd do much else with it.

It's running Tiger, fully updated, and it does so very satisfyingly. I'm sure several of you will recommend I downgrade to Panther, but I think Tiger is the better OS, and as such is staying. I was discussing OSX with a friend, and they said they'd got a noticeable performance boost by disabling background items that weren't used--iSight drivers being the example used.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that. Any suggestions? Ideally, if at all possible, I'd like to pare the background items back to only what is needed by the OS to run happily with the above programs. So, OSX experts, how do I do this? You input is much appreciated.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2008, 06:05 PM

I'm inclined to consider your friend's advice complete hogwash, since the iSight drivers aren't actually loaded until an iSight is connected.

Nor does much of anything else really use any system resources until it's explicitly called.

Stuff eating RAM is an exception - such as Dashboard.

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Jan 4, 2008, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
I'm inclined to consider your friend's advice complete hogwash, since the iSight drivers aren't actually loaded until an iSight is connected.
Being honest, I did wonder about what she was saying; it seemed a bit overkill to load drivers regardless of whether or not you had an iSight connected. Thanks for clearing that up though.

Stuff eating RAM is an exception - such as Dashboard.
Dashboard was the first thing I disabled, mainly because it devours resources and the intended recipient of the machine would never use, and would likely be confused if she ever called it up by accident.

Anything else you'd finger as potential RAM hogs?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2008, 06:54 PM

if the thing is updated to 10.4.11, the biggest potential hog - Safari - has been fixed, so I'm out of suggestions.

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Jan 5, 2008, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
if the thing is updated to 10.4.11, the biggest potential hog - Safari - has been fixed, so I'm out of suggestions.
Already done. Thanks for the input--very much appreciated!

Forum Links
Forum Rules