Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Help me convince family friend to buy a Power Mac

Help me convince family friend to buy a Power Mac
Thread Tools
unnervingfalcon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2008, 05:44 PM
 
A family friend who has used and like using a Mac is up for a new computer or just to upgrade via ebay. I was looking at G5 dual on ebay and they look fantastic. He doesn't need a monitor and uses a Dvorak keyboard. There main use for the computer is internet by dial up and working with photos. I think a IMAC would do but since he has the monitor and keyboard already I figured he might as well get a Power Mac G5. I saw the interior of the G5 and it really impressed me..... was very clean compared to PC's. Any explanation for this would be great thanks.
     
SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Truckee, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2008, 08:15 PM
 
"Working with photos" can mean lots of things. More detail is needed before we can suggest what new/used Macs might be best. The better dual processor tower G5s are heavy-duty strong but last generation. If one does not need heavy-duty strong a used or refurbished Mini is very likely more appropriate going forward.

-Allen Wicks
     
Cold Warrior
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Polwaristan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2008, 08:20 PM
 
If he's due for a new computer, he should buy for the future -- an Intel Mac.

How much does he have to spend?
     
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2008, 08:26 PM
 
For anything remotely reasonable a dual G5 will be a great machine.
     
MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Michigan, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2008, 10:01 PM
 
Why WHY WHY not look at the mini???

Let's be honest here, anybody using dial-up internet is hardly a power user, and would not need a tower.

The minis are Intel dual core, the benchmark numbers kick the poop out of most older G5's, and they are cheap enough to buy new and get all the new software (which is really what makes it a bargain compared to a used computer...) They are almost silent (unlike G5 towers), they run cool, and they take up the desk space of a ham sandwich with a pickle on the side. I've got many Macs, and work on them 8 hours a day, and bought my mom a 1.66 core duo mini. It is amazing how much computer is in that tiny little box. My old G5 seems sluggish by comparison.

Let's be honest again here, are you truly thinking about what THEY need, or what YOU want? The G5's are no bargain, and this is coming from someone who owns one and has run them side by side with minis.
     
Chooglin'
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jul 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2008, 09:56 AM
 
why not just go to this friend's house and put a gun to his head and tell him to buy a Power Mac? That's what you want to do anyways.
     
devastHB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2008
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2008, 10:26 AM
 
If you are trying to convince a family friend to buy a g5 over an intel mac, he's not a family "friend". I agree with chooglin, gun is your best bet.
Mac Pro(Early2008) 2x2.8quad/10.5.1/8GBram/BOOT:320GB/WORK:1TB(raid0:2x500)/TM BACKUP:1TB/Display:37" 1080p Westinghouse
MacBook Pro 2.16/10.5.1/3GBram/120GB
Homebuilt Vista Media Center/3ghzP4/2GB/BOOT:400GB/STORAGE:600GB(raid5:4x200)
     
ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2008, 10:29 AM
 
The very best ever Power Mac, the G5 Quad 2.5 of December 2005, is MUCH faster than the G5 dual you are looking at. The mac mini is quite a bit faster than the quad. So, don't encourage your friend to waste the money or space for a tower. A mac mini will run rings around all but the very best G5s, and it even beats those in almost all areas.
     
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2008, 12:22 PM
 
But, on the downside, the mini is capable of running Windows.
     
Leonard
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2008, 12:56 PM
 
All I have to say, is make sure he includes the modem when making the purchase. Most Macs nowadays don't come with modems built in as most people use broadband. I think Apple sells a small USB modem, but I'm not sure.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro
     
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2008, 01:02 PM
 
They do, but any USB modem should work. Of course, the G5 already has one.
     
ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2008, 01:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by peeb View Post
But, on the downside, the mini is capable of running Windows.
That's not a downside, that is a benefit, in case you want to play a windows only game or use a windows only app.
     
ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2008, 01:13 PM
 
Originally Posted by peeb View Post
They do, but any USB modem should work. Of course, the G5 already has one.
A built-in modem is hardly a reason to buy a vastly inferior machine for similar money.
     
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2008, 04:12 PM
 
It's not 'vastly inferior', and having built in features, the ability to add expansion cards etc, are all good reasons to shun the mini.
     
SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Truckee, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2008, 05:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by peeb View Post
It's not 'vastly inferior', and having built in features, the ability to add expansion cards etc, are all good reasons to shun the mini.
I disagree. The Mini is perfect for many situations: basically low end entry to the world of Mac. iMacs are another lower end entry box. For individuals on the lower end, moving to Mac 99.9% of the time G5 boxes will not be appropriate.

A used G5 can be very good for only a very few specific situations. Most folks moving to Mac who need multiple internal hard drive slots, add-on graphics cards, heavy amounts of RAM should be moving to a Mac Pro, not to a used G5. For only a few such folks needing heavy-duty hardware is such an outdated hardware purchase appropriate, and every one of the folks for whom it might be appropriate would need to qualify as fully Mac computer literate prior to making such a decision.

Note that my commentary does not suggest that there is anything at all wrong with existing G5 setups. It is building new setups that G5s are seldom appropriate for.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Feb 6, 2008 at 05:09 PM. )
     
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2008, 05:31 PM
 
The mini is a great machine, I'm not disputing it, but many photographers want more than one (fast) hard drive, and more than 3 gigs of RAM. Since we know the OP wants a modem, which the mini does not have, and the G5s can be hard very reasonably, with decent graphics cards, I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why you are so hostile to them.
     
ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2008, 12:01 AM
 
Originally Posted by peeb View Post
The mini is a great machine
much quicker than all G5s (excepting a maxed Quad with Raptor RAID array...)

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
I'm not disputing it
Yes, you are.

QUOTE=peeb;3596534]but many photographers want more[/QUOTE]

Chances are this guy "working with photos," on a machine from which the G5 dual 2.0 would be a big upgrade, with a dialup connection is not a pro photographer...

QUOTE=peeb;3596534]than one (fast) hard drive[/QUOTE]

... and as such will not particularly need a faster harddrive than the one in the current stock minis.

QUOTE=peeb;3596534]more than 3 gigs of RAM.[/QUOTE]

... and further will not be requiring more than 3GB of RAM. Photoshop can only address 3GB anyway, you only need more if you are doing serious multi-tasking in several apps. Aperture would require more, but there is no way this guy cataloging enormous files of 1GB multi-layer photos.

QUOTE=peeb;3596534]we know the OP wants a modem, which the mini does not have[/QUOTE]

This is ridiculous. I want to buy a 1960s Ferrari because I need a clock in the dash and it has one.

QUOTE=peeb;3596534]the G5s can be hard very reasonably[/QUOTE]

About the same as a mini.

QUOTE=peeb;3596534]with decent graphics cards[/QUOTE]

most of the graphics cards in the early G5s were not as capable as the integrated graphics in the mini.

QUOTE=peeb;3596534]I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why you are so hostile to them.[/QUOTE]

Not hostile to them. Loved them then, like them now, grateful in all ways for my G5 experience. Just not sentimental. Seems like you are.
     
SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Truckee, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2008, 12:02 AM
 
Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Since we know the OP wants a modem, which the mini does not have, and the G5s can be hard very reasonably, with decent graphics cards, I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why you are so hostile to them.
The modem issue is moot, a $49 USB dongle from Apple.

Stock G5s have lame graphics cards; but my guess is that graphics card is not relevant to the user in question.

The better G5s are not all that cheap, probably because there remain folks with existing heavy-duty workflows and/or legacy apps for which they are well suited. The user in question, however, does not meet that description.

The tech difference between Power PC and Intel is huge. What's wrong with G5s is that they are an old entirely different platform. No one has been optimizing apps for G5 for years now; already we are seeing apps that only run on MacIntel. A new buyer of a new box needs to be easily compliant with all the new apps more than he/she needs to have industrial strength last generation.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Feb 7, 2008 at 12:11 AM. )
     
Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Somerville, MA and San Jose, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2008, 12:06 AM
 
Furthermore, the G5s are power hungry and loud. Some of them have squealing power supplies. My G5 was the buggiest Mac I have ever owned, and the only one I ever sold. Still have the 128, recently threw the Mac II away, still have my Classic, my MDD, my iBook G4. But the G5 I sold on Craigslist.

Get the Mini.
     
SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Truckee, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2008, 12:09 AM
 
Originally Posted by ninahagen View Post
Photoshop can only address 3GB anyway...
Nina-

I fully agree regarding Mini v. G5. However although PS can only directly address ~3 GB RAM, PS under OS X takes good advantage of up to 8 GB RAM and even well beyond that in heavier workflows.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Feb 7, 2008 at 12:17 AM. )
     
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2008, 02:00 AM
 
Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
The modem issue is moot, a $49 USB dongle from Apple.
Which, presumably, you need to plug into a hub, because there are only two USB ports on a Mini, and that's just to get it to operate at a basic level for the OPs needs.

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Stock G5s have lame graphics cards; but my guess is that graphics card is not relevant to the user in question.
Unless they want to upgrade it, which, of course, you can't do on the mini, because it has integrated graphics. Possibly the most relevant issue here is that there is no way to get the mini to use more than one monitor, which is a problem for a lot of photo oriented users. G5s? Just drop in another graphic card.

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
The better G5s are not all that cheap, probably because there remain folks with existing heavy-duty workflows and/or legacy apps for which they are well suited.
You're right - they hold their value extremely well, because they are a great option for a lot of people - in the absence of a mid-range tower, they are the only thing for many.
Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
The user in question, however, does not meet that description.
That's really for them to decide.

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
The tech difference between Power PC and Intel is huge. What's wrong with G5s is that they are an old entirely different platform.
Which is not a real world issue for most users.
Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
No one has been optimizing apps for G5 for years now; already we are seeing apps that only run on MacIntel.
Some, but mainly games and niche apps.
Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
A new buyer of a new box needs to be easily compliant with all the new apps more than he/she needs to have industrial strength last generation.
I'm not sure that's true - what apps won't run on this that the OP would care about?
     
lysolman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: May 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2008, 09:42 AM
 
"dial up and working with photos"

The users is going to be dialing up, and using iPhoto. Period. duh. Haha.

There is no real reason at this point in time to even suggest for anybody to "upgrade" to a G5. I, myself, use a 1.33Ghz DA G4 with 1.5Gb of ram and a 9800 Pro.

Here's the kicker: I enjoy using my G4 over the dual 1.8 G5s in the Graphic Art Department.

My G4 is 7 years old, and I want desperately to upgrade, but until I can afford either an Intel iMac or a Mac Pro, it isn’t going to happen.

Here is what I'm saying: I've helped a multitude of people with computer purchasing and upgrading and I can, for the most part, tell everyone here these things for certain:

1. The user is never going to want to "upgrade" the video card.
2. He/She will never need something he/she cannot add externally if at all
3. ONE MONITOR WILL BE FINE! Seriously, seriously, was the dual display ever a problem? 22"<$250 or get an iMac
4. Mac minis kick the crap out of their PowerPC brethren. Dude, it's not even close.
5. G5's are noisy, loud, hot, big, and not that impressive.
6. New Computer=New Software, Leopard, iLife, The Whole Shebangabang.
7. Mac mini's have FOUR usb ports.

I could be completely off kilter here, but "dial up and working with photos" says to me that the user is not using Photoshop on a daily basis. I would upgrade to a mini in a heartbeat if I weren’t a videographer and a graphic artist needing better expansion options. This user however, sounds like my parents who just want to check e-mail and crop some pictures of their grandkids.

When we get more info on this user, I think we will find that he/she fits into a mini perfectly, and buying a G5 would be a mistake.

PS A new Mac mini would be cheaper too!
     
nickhos38
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2008, 02:09 PM
 
Originally Posted by unnervingfalcon View Post
There main use for the computer is internet by dial up and working with photos.
Golly. I didn't realize there was still such a thing as dial-up. (kidding...)

These two uses are obviously exclusive of one another, or he has a lot of time on his hands.

If I were in your shoes, I'd start by convincing him to call his cable/DSL company.... Macs (or any computer for that matter) become 32489374098317241874321641 times more useful when they have a high-speed internet connection.
     
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2008, 02:14 PM
 
I don't know about that - again, it depends what you want from them.
     
SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Truckee, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2008, 05:15 PM
 
I agree with Nick. The point is, we don't know what we don't know. Broadband on a personal computer greatly expands a user's learning opportunities.

-Allen Wicks
     
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2008, 06:15 PM
 
It should be noted that G5s are holding value just now because Protools still doesn't work on Intel yet. A used Intel iMac or Mini is probably the more sensible choice. Maybe even a refurb.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2008, 06:18 PM
 
Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
It should be noted that G5s are holding value just now because Protools still doesn't work on Intel yet. A used Intel iMac or Mini is probably the more sensible choice. Maybe even a refurb.
I'm not certain that's the reason - I think a reasonably priced tower is an appealing option to many people.
     
ballison
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2008, 07:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
It should be noted that G5s are holding value just now because Protools still doesn't work on Intel yet. A used Intel iMac or Mini is probably the more sensible choice. Maybe even a refurb.
pro tools most certainly works on intel and has for a long time for at least a year and a half. I even have it running in leopard on my 2008 mac pro (although I know alot of people that have issues with it running on leopard) it works very very well in tiger.
     
SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Truckee, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2008, 01:44 AM
 
Originally Posted by peeb View Post
I think a reasonably priced tower is an appealing option to many people.
A G5 may be appealing to many less informed folks, but IMO it is appropriate for only a select few who need the strengths and fully understand the shortcomings.

-Allen Wicks
     
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2008, 01:57 AM
 
I have to disagree - I don't think there are that many 'shortcomings' - I think it's pretty arrogant to assume that the second hand prices are so high because of the ignorance of so many people who buy them.
     
ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2008, 03:22 AM
 
Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
A G5 may be appealing to many less informed folks, but IMO it is appropriate for only a select few who need the strengths and fully understand the shortcomings.

-Allen Wicks
Originally Posted by peeb View Post
I don't think there are that many 'shortcomings'
slower
inferior stock video capability (intel's intregrated vid much better than stock G5 cards)
outdated platform
no new apps being produced
old apps not being updated
heavier
larger
louder
hotter
higher power usage
steeper depreciation
higher shipping costs (if buying, selling or servicing by mail)
more expensive ($710~900 for 2004/2005 G5 2.0s currently on ebay)
ineligible for apple care
unable to run windows

If those are not shortcomings, serious & many (15), I don't know what would be.

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
I think it's pretty arrogant to assume that the second hand prices are so high because of the ignorance of so many people who buy them.
Arrogant: having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.

Sierradragon is simply correct. His assessment is factual, unrelated to his own importance or abilities, or his sense of them. You, on the other hand, seem to believe that your insights trump the facts, a clear exaggeration of your ability. So, who is being arrogant?

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
I have to disagree.
You can disagree all you want, it doesn't make something so. It does, however, reveal you as stubborn and ill-informed.
( Last edited by ninahagen; Feb 9, 2008 at 06:55 AM. )
     
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2008, 03:40 AM
 
Originally Posted by ninahagen View Post
drastically slower
It is not 'drastically slower' for many tasks.
Originally Posted by ninahagen View Post
inferior stock vid cards
The mini has no 'video card' at all, and no option to put one in.
Originally Posted by ninahagen View Post
outdated platform
Which means nothing to many.
Originally Posted by ninahagen View Post
no new apps being produced
Not true - most new apps are universal
Originally Posted by ninahagen View Post
old apps not being updated
Not true - most apps are universal.
Originally Posted by ninahagen View Post
heavier, larger
Not relevant to many desktop owners
Originally Posted by ninahagen View Post
louder, hotter
Indeed.
Originally Posted by ninahagen View Post
steeper depreciation curve
Far from clear - it looks to me that G5s are holding their value better than minis.
Originally Posted by ninahagen View Post
If those are not shortcomings, serious & many, I don't know what would be.
How about lack of expansion capability, no graphics card, no option to put one in, no internal modem, no firewire 800, only one monitor supported, ram severely limited, hard drive is slow and no option to add more internally?

Originally Posted by ninahagen View Post
Sierradragon is simply correct. His assessment is factual, and has nothing to do with his own importance or abilities, or his sense of them. You, on the other hand, seem to believe that your insights trump the facts, a clear exaggeration of your ability.

You can disagree all you want, it doesn't make something so.
His assessment is an opinion, based on his needs.
     
ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2008, 05:01 AM
 
Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
A G5 may be appealing to many less informed folks, but IMO it is appropriate for only a select few who need the strengths and fully understand the shortcomings.

-Allen Wicks
Originally Posted by peeb View Post
It is not 'drastically slower' for many tasks.
For working with photos, the OP's main use, it certainly is. Check out the photoshop speed test thread. The intel minis scorch all G5s except the Quad 2.5, and it even edges that by 20%. its 100~500% slower for the other G5s. That is drastically slower.

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
His assessment is an opinion, based on his needs.
If you really think so, how does that make him arrogant?

His statements are quite well-considered, and based on far more understanding than you have displayed, and, as such, quite applicable to most situations.

By the way, how old are you? I get the feeling we are posting with a teenager.
     
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2008, 05:04 AM
 
Originally Posted by ninahagen View Post
For working with photos, the OP's main use, it certainly is. Check out the photoshop speed test thread. The intel minis scorch all G5s except the Quad 2.5, and it even edges that by 20%. its 100~500% slower for the other G5s. That is drastically slower.
Depending on the version of photoshop, that's true for some benchmarks - for iPhoto (which was what he claimed the OP's friend would be using) the differences are much less dramatic and are unlikely to be noticed in real use. I take it that you agree with the other points in favor of the G5?
Originally Posted by ninahagen View Post
By the way, how old are you? I get the feeling we are posting with a teenager.
Personal attacks don't strengthen your case.
     
ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2008, 05:19 AM
 
Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
A G5 may be appealing to many less informed folks, but IMO it is appropriate for only a select few who need the strengths and fully understand the shortcomings.

-Allen Wicks
Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Depending on the version of photoshop, that's true for some benchmarks - for iPhoto (which was what he claimed the OP's friend would be using) the differences are much less dramatic and are unlikely to be noticed in real use. I take it that you agree with the other points in favor of the G5?

Personal attacks don't strengthen your case.
No attack there, I really wanted to know if you are young.

As to the advantages of the G5, the depreciation question is still out, I must agree.

But why would this OP even need a hi-spec vid card for even more money? Unless he got the ATI Radeon 1900XT for $$$, he wouldn't even reach the performance of the integrated video in the intel.

Do you seriously think he should get a $800 G5 (to take a rough average)?

Louder, hotter, slower, heavy, bulkier, more expensive. In this OP's case, for what?
     
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2008, 08:59 AM
 
I've been reading this thread and not injecting my $.02
so far we have arguments for the G5 and those against. The OP has not responded but based on what the OP originally posted the guy is not looking for anything over-powering. I doubt very much he's uploading any images (on dial-up) and probably not using anything near as powerful as photoshop.

While the interior of the G5 is very clean as compared to PCs what does that matter, it sounds like the guy in question probably never opens the computer anyways. If he's looking for just some simple work why buy yesterday's technology for less $$ he can buy a mini.

Unless the OP comes back and spells out in more detail the requirements, I think the mini more then fits the bill. Yes the G5 is a capable machine but that's not the issue. The issue is what is the right computer for this guy and I don't think it would be.
     
papworth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: pantone 369 EC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2008, 10:29 AM
 
Not particularly surprising that the OP hasn't come back with this sort of "discussion"...
I think MacosNerd made a really good point in that the issue is "what would suit his needs best for the money?"
Having moved to Mactel from a screaming G5, I know I would advise an intel purchase; mini, macbook or whatever his wallet can fund.
firebook 12" rev A 1.25GB ram 120GB hd 10.4.11
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.5 4GB ram 250GB hd 10.5.5
     
JuanGuapo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southern California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2008, 12:40 PM
 
I vote for the mini... it's a great starter machine and is great on desktop real estate.
I hate Vista
     
ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 10, 2008, 08:27 AM
 
I got the following private message from a forum regular (who will remain anonymous):

"Thank you...

for very systematically and rationally...

SMACKING Peeb down...

I've always thought he was a teenager too..."

Based on musings I have seen in other threads, I suspect some other members feel the same way.

Peeb, it is frustrating to see you misguide OPs, and remain unswayed by the facts when they are presented by well meaning members with stellar reputations. It seems like you want to be right more than you want to help others or learn something.
     
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 10, 2008, 08:32 AM
 
You know, what you've shown is complete failure to analyze facts dispassionately. The only thing you've done 'systematically' is to ignore the facts that disagree with your pre-ordained conclusion. Your relentless pushing of your favored solution, and absolute unwillingness to even address its downsides, is disappointing and depressing. Far from 'smacking down', you simply ignored the facts, and restated your opinion.
You should spend less time speculating about my age, and a bit more researching the topic at hand before you accuse me of misguiding people.
It seems that your desire to 'smack people down' is greater than your desire to learn anything or help others.
( Last edited by peeb; Feb 10, 2008 at 08:44 AM. )
     
ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 10, 2008, 08:45 AM
 
There is not one person on this thread that agrees with you that a G5 is a better choice for this OP. The reasons were numerous and well-presented, yet you battle on, potentially confusing the OP with your attachment to a bad idea. I have seen this before with you— it is immature and counterproductive to the main purposes of the sight: to share what you know, and learn what you don't.

I don't want to "smack you down"— those were another user's words. I would like you to change and stop arguing for arguing's sake. I have heard from several forum users who felt the same. Do you really want to come off that way?
     
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 10, 2008, 08:51 AM
 
Well, since your argument boils down to 'more people on an internet forum agree with me', there's not much chance of you revisiting the facts and addressing them. Honestly, I don't care what computer you recommend, but don't have the arrogance to accuse others of being immature and counterproductive just because they disagree with you and express that opinion. I'm startled that you are so insecure that you can't stand another opinion being voiced.
     
ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 10, 2008, 09:25 AM
 
Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Well...there's not much chance of you revisiting the facts and addressing them.
Ok, just to be sporting, let's review:

FACTS IN FAVOR OF A NEW MINI:

— cheaper
— quieter
— more compact
— cooler
— lighter
— less expensive to ship (for purchase, sale, repair or upgrade)
— less power-consuming
— eligible for Apple Care
— faster (I know you dispute the significance of this, but you are out on limb here)
— optimized for modern apps
— runs Windows

FACTS IN FAVOR OF A G5

— multiple HD capability (probably not useful for the OP: with dailup, he is unlikely to need RAID capability or storage more massive than the mini can provide)

— expandable RAM beyond 4GB (probably not too useful for the OP. Dailup user needs to optimize mutitasking speed across several apps with huge files? Doubtful)

— extra video card (only useful if he needs two monitors, which he did not mention OR if he needs the 1900XT, which is also highly doubtful).

— built-in modem (yeah, nice, but a having to buy a cheap dongle hardly outweighs the advantages).

— can in fact run universal apps (however lack of G5-optimized versions mitigates this somewhat).

FACTS IN DISPUTE

Depreciation is an open question, and you are right that it is not clear... but it is a relatively small, yet unresolved issue and shouldn't drive the OPs decision.

CONCLUSION

The stack of virtues for the mini far outweighs the virtues of a G5, except in the rare cases where a well-informed, rather hardcore user needs and understands the strengths and accepts the many serious shortcomings.
( Last edited by ninahagen; Feb 10, 2008 at 11:37 AM. )
     
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 10, 2008, 10:03 PM
 
Well, I'm glad you actually went back and read the posts - it's clear from your summary of the previous discussion that there are pros and cons. You have made assumptions about what the OP wanted, and come to your conclusions, I have done the same - now knock it off and go do something more useful.
     
SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Truckee, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 11, 2008, 10:48 PM
 
At Mac Expo SF there were actually quite a few new app versions that were "MacIntel only."

-Allen Wicks
     
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 11, 2008, 10:50 PM
 
Which ones?
     
SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Truckee, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 12, 2008, 01:24 AM
 
Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Which ones?
I don't recall exactly, documenting [IMO obvious logical] software evolution was not on my list of chores for Expo. Most likely no particularly major apps, however, or I would probably recall their names.

-Allen Wicks
     
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 12, 2008, 12:02 PM
 
Thanks - I was just wondering whether it was anything major. Seems not.
     
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 12, 2008, 12:35 PM
 
Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Well, since your argument boils down to 'more people on an internet forum agree with me'
People are not recommending the mini because its a popularity contest (heck when did people here at 'NN care about that) but rather the facts are that the mini is a better use of the OP's money, well his friend's. The issue is that the mini is forward looking and while the G5 is a capable machine isn't geared for the future. If you have one now, its a great machine but I couldn't and wouldn't recommend it, especially if someone such as the OP is trying to convince a friend to convert over. The mini or iMac is better suited.

The intel Macs give better performance, are more future proof can run windows and OSX. The footprints (mini & iMacs) are much smaller. The G5 is a freakin heat pump and can be much noisier then a mini or an iMac. I know, I used to own a G5.

Also the warranty, for the same or less money, you get a full year warranty with the option of buying applecare. With the G5 most are out of warranty or rolling off. This provides peace of mind to a lot of people.

While the G5 has superior expandability then the mini or iMac, it's short comings outweigh though benefits, at least as much as the OP defined his friend's needs.
     
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 12, 2008, 01:26 PM
 
Well, you expressed another opinion - that's fine, but what weighting you put on things like expandability and multiple monitors determines your conclusion.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:04 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,