Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Possible new MBPs, gaming, and photoshop, need some help...

Possible new MBPs, gaming, and photoshop, need some help...
ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2010, 07:05 PM

So, I was tyrin to read through the thread below in regards to the new chipsets etc, and when we went to nanometer size of the chips etc, I got lost lol.

Ultimately, I play WOW and a few other games. Nothing crazy. I have a 2.2ghz mbp, 2 gigs of ram, with the 128mb 8600GT. I got a little money for xmas and am looking to upgrade to either the current model, or the new model (speculatively of course) MBP. So, gaming, photoshop, light video editing etc. What I am gathering from the other thread is my best bet may be picking up the current model? Or will I see almost no difference gaming/processing wise on the current or upcoming MBPs?

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2010, 08:05 PM

For what is worth, a friend who builds gaming PCs comments that the new intel chips (i7´s) are vastly superior (vastly meaning huge) in processing power than even the fastest core 2 duo. Quite possible you won´t notice a difference in today´s games, but certainly as time passes by you won´t regret waiting.
( Last edited by polendo; Jan 22, 2010 at 08:14 PM. )

ero2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2010, 09:57 PM

one of my major concerns is where almost everyone talking about the new i7s is saying something about the GPU being crappier than current models, despite the processor boost? Think I interpreted it correctly...

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2010, 11:38 PM

You currently have a fully functional Core 2 Duo box so the answer is easy. New-generation boxes are imminent, so wait to see what new MBPs cost/consist of, and how they perform (BareFeats.com will have tests) running the apps of importance to you. Then come back here and we can all debate the impact of future of RAM, OS, etc. vis-a-vis the new boxes and your apps.

My strong feeling is that with new-generation boxes imminent upgrading to any 2009 C2D model from the C2D box you have now makes very little sense. After new boxes are out you may decide that best price/performance for you lies with a 2009 C2D box but we do not yet have necessary cost/performance info on upcoming models.

As regards upcoming GPUs, note that Apple makes both the OS and the box. Despite some of the comments from us forum wags, Apple is fairly unlikely to configure its pro laptop (or at least the high end of its pro laptops) to not perform well with pro apps and future OS X versions.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Jan 22, 2010 at 11:53 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2010, 05:28 AM

Don't worry too much about the GPU right now. As long as you replace your 15" with dedicated graphics with a new 15" with dedicated graphics you won't have to rely on Arrandale's IGP.

Just sit back and wait until the MBP is updated. Probably within a few weeks. Then make sure to get a system with dedicated graphics (because of games, not PS) and you'll be fine. Arrandale will be a huge step up from Penryn and the new unibody case is a very nice improvement over the previous Al case.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jan 23, 2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by ero2 View Post
one of my major concerns is where almost everyone talking about the new i7s is saying something about the GPU being crappier than current models, despite the processor boost? Think I interpreted it correctly...
What people are talking about is the integrated graphics card and whether it will be better or worst than the current ones. If Apple keeps the same style with the newer MBPs then the higher end 15" MBPs will come with two graphics card just like the current design has. One card is integrated and the other is dedicated. Currently the 13" and base model 15" doesn't have two graphics cards. It only has the integrated card.

If you buy the MBPs with dedicated faster graphics cards then you will always have the faster one to switch to if needed. It's just the integrated slower graphics card may not be as fast as the current one. One of the benefits of the integrated card is that it saves battery life so it's nice being able to switch back and forth when needed.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2010, 01:41 PM

@ero2
I think that the current GPU doesn´t make justice to the i7. That´s why the processor is overdone when playing games, since the bottleneck (if any) comes from the GPU instead of the processor. I would wait since newer processors are now on the market (post 09). Of course we are assuming the new iX´s processors are on course for the next MBPs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules